Sign in to follow this  
kaymichele01

Lexapro and Sex

I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I’m reposting for those who may, like me, be suffering right now from this issue. I’ve been on lexapro for a few years now. I’ve gone back and forth between 10mg and 20mg over the course of about 3 years. I never had a super high sex drive to begin with, but now it’s non existent. The thought of sex isn’t even in my head anymore. I’ve been in a relationship for almost 8 years now. I know getting comfortable with someone can also cause your drive to decrease, but it’s not just him, I have zero desire to have sex with anybody. It’s really bringing out my depression because I want to have a normal, healthy sex life. Has anybody out there on lexapro had this issue and were they able to find something to help?! Supplements, medications, or even changing their antidepressant? I need advice! 

33 minutes ago, kaymichele01 said:

I’m sure this has been brought up before, but I’m reposting for those who may, like me, be suffering right now from this issue. I’ve been on lexapro for a few years now. I’ve gone back and forth between 10mg and 20mg over the course of about 3 years. I never had a super high sex drive to begin with, but now it’s non existent. The thought of sex isn’t even in my head anymore. I’ve been in a relationship for almost 8 years now. I know getting comfortable with someone can also cause your drive to decrease, but it’s not just him, I have zero desire to have sex with anybody. It’s really bringing out my depression because I want to have a normal, healthy sex life. Has anybody out there on lexapro had this issue and were they able to find something to help?! Supplements, medications, or even changing their antidepressant? I need advice! 

It's a struggle to find the right cocktail for your depression and it's a battle to choose

between a sexual lifestyle  and a peace of mind. HANG in there my friend and good luck.

You want advice then.  Ok how is this better?  Things aren't working.  It is not normal to not want to have sex.  If the medication was making you normal you would still be able to have a normal sex life.

Please don't listen to the above advice very closely. SSRIs are known to decrease libido. Its very common and totally normal.

There are things you can do to increase sex drive. Being more intimate even when you don't feel like it can help. So can exercise. And adding Wellbutrin can really help. Good luck, and please don't be hard on yourself. You seem like a good person who cares about their partner. Talking this over with them might be very helpful too.

It is very common but it's not normal.  Just because it's how it is doesn't mean it's right.  She admitted the situation is making her depressed so what is the point in taking the pill?  It isn't helping her.  It's just putting her in a different hell.

13 hours ago, Countryman said:

I lay off the meds a couple of days before sex.Then back on.But I'm a male.

Does it help to lay off the meds for a couple of days and how does it make you feel

without the meds for a couple of days 

19 minutes ago, Floor2017 said:

Does it help to lay off the meds for a couple of days and how does it make you feel

without the meds for a couple of days 

When I used to take meds I did it.  It would throw me into a manic episode.  It will probably create a need for sex and a need for other addictive things to fill the hole you have created by taking away the medication.  Something has to fill the space in your brain.

10 minutes ago, sober4life said:

When I used to take meds I did it.  It would throw me into a manic episode.  It will probably create a need for sex and a need for other addictive things to fill the hole you have created by taking away the medication.  Something has to fill the space in your brain.

Girl it might be worth it.  :smilingteeth: 

I came out of a controlling abusive marriage where sex was only an issue because of the lack of intimacy, not so much the pill I was popping. They all had different effects for me as a male, but when I was intimate and cared about my partner none actually prevented it from happening. I guess my 10 cents worth is that there is more than just the anti depressent involved.

You're right.  There are tons of reasons why the issue could happen.  For me I haven't taken medication in over 5 years and haven't had any issues since.  Of course there were other factors during the time.  I wasn't healthy at all but there are no words that exist to talk me into taking medication again.  It's not because of my fight for sobriety.  I don't believe drugs and alcohol are the same as medication.  If I was taking it I would still consider myself being sober.  I'm just done playing the game with doctors.

I actually think part of the problem in my upbringing was the taboo way sex was treated........ wait till you are married, you will catch something, back then HIV was an unknown risk..... it didnt stop me but it felt dirty, despite being fun. I believe a lot of the reasons we suffer more when we are on drugs, OTC or street, alcohol or other substances, is because we are inclined to take more risks, which can lead to more regrets, thus hightened self awareness or guilt.

i guess my feelings regarding anti depressants effecting sex drive, and capability are more aligned with the care and respect you have for the person you are with. There are counter measures to help if required too but you must have some level of intimacy. 

Yeah, I know, I’m messed up

I have heard tell that combining an SSRI with Wellbutrin helps with this problem, but that could be hearsay and not actually very true. You could look into it, though.

It's common, but not, for most people, normal, to have this issue on SSRIs, (as has already been discussed at length here). It seems like psychiatrists are constantly alternating between telling people that missing out on sex is no big deal, to telling people that they should want more sex. It seems like they do it on purpose sometimes, because, like clockwork or a Swiss train, they will always choose whichever one is least beneficial for the patient.

Or maybe that's just me LOL.

They could care less if we have sex or not.  All they do every time we see them is say whatever they have to say to get us to come back.  Most of what they say they don't even believe themselves.  They are smooth talkers that are good at saying what we need to hear or want to hear at the time.

Have to agree with you,  we go back so they get paid, fill in the paperwork and keep the system running.... the system that wouldn't work if we didnt have addictions,  mental health issues. Maybe Im biased, but I sure wish i could get the help I need, not just a 15 minute consult every month

31 minutes ago, Extremebeginner said:

Have to agree with you,  we go back so they get paid, fill in the paperwork and keep the system running.... the system that wouldn't work if we didnt have addictions,  mental health issues. Maybe Im biased, but I sure wish i could get the help I need, not just a 15 minute consult every month

Well said my friend 

The way to improve the system is if we stop going.  As long as there are people in the waiting room they have no reason to improve what they are doing.  We don't have to just put up with it and keep going.  The way to improve things are for us to stop going.

I would love to be able to do that, but I fear that because we no longer live in communities or villages where we all help each other. Then It might noit

love and compassion are replaced witg greed and appearance. A forever changed landscape to which we need to discover a wat to survive