Sign in to follow this  
drowningsakura

Anyone else feel this way?

I'm absolutely horrible at remembering to take my medication, especially when my life is quite busy (like during my semesters). I just realized a week ago that I have forgotten to take my meds for the past month or so, which definently had a hand in the downward spiral I am in. But the thing is, I don't want to take my meds. I know I should, I know it would make me feel better, but I just can't get myself to do it. I stare at the bottle and do nothing with it. I guess I partially don't want to admit that I need meds or anything else, even though I know I do, and I guess I'm terrified that I won't take them at all and end up hospitalized. I'm just really really lost right now.

I honestly hated the thought of having to take medication just to help me feel better, that I should be able to do that on my own.. and I struggled with that for years. But knowing now that they can help me to feel better, and be able to live normal and happier I'm starting to realize it's not a bad thing. A doctor once mentioned that its like a diabetic who has to take insulin because their body doesn't produce enough on it's own, if they felt like we do about not wanting to take them because they feel they should be able to make enough on their own they would probably end up really sick, just like those of us who take it for mental health. I personally believe that some of us have a chemical imbalance of neurotransmitters and we just don't produce enough seratonin on our own at points in our life, or possibly all our life, and when the levels get off everything goes off so we just need to get it back to normal. I still hope that at some point I won't have to take them forever but until that happens, I'm more then happy to take them and be functioning normal and living life rather then suffer and feel bad. 

I hope that you find a solution that works for you soon, and you start feeling better! 

Hi,

I've been on fluoxetine for over a year now, and I struggle with the same thing. It's actually a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only once who goes through this; I often feel guilty about it. 

Do you think that maybe the meds just don't do it for you? I had to adjust my dosage a couple of times and I'm now thinking about switching to something else. I'm hoping that if I run into something that really, really works, then I'll be more encouraged to take it often to feel more "alive" if that makes sense.

I hope you find a way that helps!!

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, cherryvlossom said:

Hi,

I've been on fluoxetine for over a year now, and I struggle with the same thing. It's actually a bit comforting to know that I'm not the only once who goes through this; I often feel guilty about it. 

Do you think that maybe the meds just don't do it for you? I had to adjust my dosage a couple of times and I'm now thinking about switching to something else. I'm hoping that if I run into something that really, really works, then I'll be more encouraged to take it often to feel more "alive" if that makes sense.

I hope you find a way that helps!!

Hello CherryV, sometimes I think the ssri sleight of hand is a shell game.  Here and there I hear people say they are really helped, more often I hear comments like yours.  I took sertraline for a few years, nada, I thought.  On Fluoxitine  about a year now, can't tell a bit of difference.  My new doc just raised me from 40 to 60mg, so I'll have to see.  If that doesn't do anything I'm going to wean off and see how I feel.  Now they have "genetic" testing that is supposed to determine the best mind medicine for the individual.  But most insurance doesn't cover it and it costs a bundle.  I'd like to hear the science on the genetic test.  How valid--how much does it do what it claims to do--is, how's it work, how reliable.  Lots of medicine is heading back to the middle ages, when exact causes and cures were not known, so their was lots of room for amazing break throughs, and lots of . . . other stuff.  Medicine, sticking solidly with the aliopathic  Western model has made astounding headway.  But Illnesses today, especially mental are fragmenting, atomizing, into less and less recognizable and treatable maladies.   Simply following the increasing Tsunami of data and information marking the information age.  The stagnation from increased complexity and unmanageable loads of information is here.  Sorry for running amuck.

Still, very much hope you find something that works for you.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

23 hours ago, Bulgakov said:

Now they have "genetic" testing that is supposed to determine the best mind medicine for the individual.  But most insurance doesn't cover it and it costs a bundle.  I'd like to hear the science on the genetic test.  How valid--how much does it do what it claims to do--is, how's it work, how reliable. 

The company that dies the genetic testing billed my medical insurance over $5000. I just got a bill from the company and it is for $230. Their website says they would bill anyone more that $330 dollars if insurance denies the claim. 

My doctor gave me a copy of the results. they test for every drug used to treat mental health disorders, everything from ssri to anti-psychotics.  I would have good results on all but 3 drugs used for depression and drugs like Wellbutrin I can only tolerate low doses.

@cherryvlossom, I have taken fluoxetine for years on and off. my former doctor and therapist finally convinced me that I needed to be consistent in taking it. I started on 20mg, then 40 mg and now 60 mg. I feel better than I ever have. I also take 150 mg of Wellbutrin.