A New Look Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Rebecca Chambers

2018 will be my last year on message boards...

But I'm not sad. Well, maybe I am a little bit saddened about it. But it's for a few good reasons.

For the past several years, I feel that Internet forums have gone *WAY* downhill, and it's either because the sites are full of trolls, or they're just plain dead. Now I don't even see much activity on the relatively few survival horror games sites that remain, but even Wikipedia refers to the golden era of those games as being from 1996 to 2004 (Christ!) and that was obviously a very long time ago. So with a heavy heart, I just have to accept that this is a phase in gaming history that is no more, or at least, it isn't anywhere as huge as it was in the good old days. For me though, that era was something like 1999 to 2004. After that, I gradually began to lose interest after enduring a lot of personal problems with forums, plus people in reality. These days, I also feel very agitated, isolated and angry at people who stabbed me in the back numerous times.

The forums I check in on still have a few posts here and there, but it's usually the same users who post, and half the time, nobody replies. And all the well-known gaming forums like GameSpot, IGN and all that are also pretty much dead and have reached an all-time low period where hardly anyone posts, or when they actually do decide to post, it's more so to bash something and question whether they yield coherent opinions. I'm not sure what caused the decline, but I think the rise of other forms of social media is to blame, because with Twitter and Facebook, people have all their interest groups collectively put together, and can add both their real friends and cyber pseudo buddies as well. And even a lot of news sites have comments sections, but maybe not forums. I'm not saying that all forums out there are dead, but they've certainly gotten to be rather niche over the years that they've been around online. Just based on that, I ain't certain that they'll ever be the same again, and even InvisionFree switched to Tapatalk, and the issue remains unsolved.

3 minutes ago, Rebecca Chambers said:

But I'm not sad. Well, maybe I am a little bit saddened about it. But it's for a few good reasons.

For the past several years, I feel that Internet forums have gone *WAY* downhill, and it's either because the sites are full of trolls, or they're just plain dead. Now I don't even see much activity on the relatively few survival horror games sites that remain, but even Wikipedia refers to the golden era of those games as being from 1996 to 2004 (Christ!) and that was obviously a very long time ago. So with a heavy heart, I just have to accept that this is a phase in gaming history that is no more, or at least, it isn't anywhere as huge as it was in the good old days. For me though, that era was something like 1999 to 2004. After that, I gradually began to lose interest after enduring a lot of personal problems with forums, plus people in reality. These days, I also feel very agitated, isolated and angry at people who stabbed me in the back numerous times.

The forums I check in on still have a few posts here and there, but it's usually the same users who post, and half the time, nobody replies. And all the well-known gaming forums like GameSpot, IGN and all that are also pretty much dead and have reached an all-time low period where hardly anyone posts, or when they actually do decide to post, it's more so to bash something and question whether they yield coherent opinions. I'm not sure what caused the decline, but I think the rise of other forms of social media is to blame, because with Twitter and Facebook, people have all their interest groups collectively put together, and can add both their real friends and cyber pseudo buddies as well. And even a lot of news sites have comments sections, but maybe not forums. I'm not saying that all forums out there are dead, but they've certainly gotten to be rather niche over the years that they've been around online. Just based on that, I ain't certain that they'll ever be the same again, and even InvisionFree switched to Tapatalk, and the issue remains unsolved.

I’m sorry my friend that you are leaving in the up coming year.  I wish you nothing but the best moving forward with your life.  However, if you need a friend you can always come back home 

11 hours ago, Rebecca Chambers said:

Does it feel sort of like the end of an era? I've felt that way about older gaming communities I once belonged to. Social media and multimedia platforms transformed them, you mentioned a few examples and I can think of a few more. YouTube, Twitch and Discord enabled communities to interact in real time without ever having to leave the game and I think that's impacted offline platforms like forums.

Voice, video and text platforms offer an experience that feels more social, live and exciting. Plus, why type a lengthy, thoughtful and descriptive post about some aspect of a game when it's become so easy to record a video or a stream that's available in real time and offline? 

Do board-style forums have any relevance in gaming communities anymore? I'm sure they do. Writing like this allows one to pause and reflect as opposed to constantly react, that's not old fashioned it's preferable if you actually have something meaningful to say.

So that's my take on it. As for your lament, it's okay to grieve the loss or migration of an online community that was important to you. 

Hey Rebecca, sorry you're feeling down. I've actually been looking into lots of different forums too lately, but they all seem to be dead. The whole form of media seems to be dying too.

Let me advertise an alternative to you: you've probably heard of Discord.

Discord is a very popular way to communicate now, especially for gamers and people who like games. Pretty much every topic has its own discord server dedicated to it. You should make an account and join one! I'm sure it wont be hard to find people to talk to about games.

I remember ‘IM’ing with complete strangers twenty years ago when I was ten years old. Is that something anyone does anymore? I would mostly talk to kids a few years older than I was and ask them stupid questions about sex. 

I frequented the popular HalloweenMovies forum for years. I got tired how heirarchial it was among the members. Plus there was hardly anything left to talk about or say when I was there last, though of course it would be a different story now. 

On 2/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, SqueezeWax said:

I frequented the popular HalloweenMovies forum for years. I got tired how heirarchial it was among the members. Plus there was hardly anything left to talk about or say when I was there last, though of course it would be a different story now.

I've found similar hierarchies in various automotive and "deep politics" forums as well. I guess it's a mirror of "real life", where some people rise to dominate a group.

5 hours ago, JD4010 said:

I've found similar hierarchies in various automotive and "deep politics" forums as well. I guess it's a mirror of "real life", where some people rise to dominate a group.

I mostly hated how the ‘elite’ members could get away with saying anything they wanted to, while the moderaters would ban others left and right on a daily basis for saying the same thing. They would also gang up on you over the dumbest, slightest difference in opinion on something. I got the impression they were all angry, lonely, isolated people who took out their frustrations on others online in a way they were incapable of in real life. 

18 hours ago, SqueezeWax said:

I mostly hated how the ‘elite’ members could get away with saying anything they wanted to, while the moderaters would ban others left and right on a daily basis for saying the same thing. They would also gang up on you over the dumbest, slightest difference in opinion on something. I got the impression they were all angry, lonely, isolated people who took out their frustrations on others online in a way they were incapable of in real life. 

Yes indeed. And you're probably correct...they found an outlet for taking out their frustrations in a virtual fashion.