Jump to content

Marplan Out of Stock


Recommended Posts

I have taken Marplan for around 11 years with great success.  The FDA found something and it has not been made since May 2018. I tried to reorder my prescription in September and it was out of stock. I have been struggling along using the Emsam patch.  I wonder how many people have committed sucide or homicide because of the drug being not manufactured?  I have gone thru a terrible time since September.  The FDA will not let me know what was wrong with the drug. I have to request a Freedom of Information form and turn it in to them. Then if they approve they will let me know what was found.    Has anyone else had this problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, graycoyote said:

I have taken Marplan for around 11 years with great success.  The FDA found something and it has not been made since May 2018. I tried to reorder my prescription in September and it was out of stock. I have been struggling along using the Emsam patch.  I wonder how many people have committed sucide or homicide because of the drug being not manufactured?  I have gone thru a terrible time since September.  The FDA will not let me know what was wrong with the drug. I have to request a Freedom of Information form and turn it in to them. Then if they approve they will let me know what was found.    Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't taken Marplan since two years ago I believe. I have no idea what it could be. I'm very surprised. They took Marplan off the market in 1994 I believe, then put it back on the market again under a new patent in the 2000's, hence why it's now a brand-name only med again (ugh...). But if you find out, let me know, please. I'm very interested to know.

What dose of the Emsam patch are you on? My pdoc told me that 6 mg/24 hr is not much different than the 9 mg/24 hr patch, but I kinda felt a little bit brighter on the 9 mg/24 hr dose. She never let me try the 12 mg/24 hr dose for some reason. Some pdocs prescribe higher than the max dose: 15 mg, 18 mg, up to 24 mg/24 hr (using 2x12 mg patches)...

You may fair better with Nardil, as it's a hydrazine class of MAOI like Marplan. The issues with Nardil are that it can cause liver problems, vitamin B6 deficiency which can lead to neuropathy (fixable with vitamin B6 or P5P supplementation), sedation or overstimulation (usually sedation), and weight gain (continues throughout treatment with the medication usually).

There's also Parnate, which is actually very stimulating (sometimes a bit too stimulating), doesn't cause liver problems, no vitamin B6 deficiency, etc., and no weight gain; in fact, it might cause weight loss (contrary to this, I gained weight on Parnate). Parnate is actually an amphetamine derivative, similar to the selegiline in the Emsam patch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

t have tried both the Parnate and the Nardil with no success for me without too many complications, winding me up in the hospital.  I am applying the 12 mg Emsam patch once daily. with Trazadone and Klonopine at night for sleep. With Xanax as needed.

It doesn't work as well as the Marplan for me.  I don't understand all the FDA and Marplan secrecy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, graycoyote said:

t have tried both the Parnate and the Nardil with no success for me without too many complications, winding me up in the hospital.  I am applying the 12 mg Emsam patch once daily. with Trazadone and Klonopine at night for sleep. With Xanax as needed.

Oh wow. Sorry to hear that. How high on Parnate and Nardil did you go? Sorry to hear you wound up in the hospital with those...

So 12 mg isn't quite doing the job for you? Could you talk to your psychiatrist about maybe applying a 9 mg + a 6 mg patch for 15 mg? It's very commonly done, even though it's above the max dose.

How's the trazodone and Klonopin working for you for sleep, and the Xanax?

6 hours ago, graycoyote said:

It doesn't work as well as the Marplan for me.  I don't understand all the FDA and Marplan secrecy?

Marplan didn't work as well as Parnate for me, but granted, I had to take Adderall with Parnate for it to work for me. When my psychiatrist took the Adderall away to raise the Parnate to 40 mg, it quit working...

I don't understand why the FDA wouldn't release a statement about Marplan either... hopefully you can get some answers soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I take 2 100mg  Trazadone  tablets and a 20mg klonopine together I sleep very well. Plus i can go to sleep around 11pm get up at 4am to go hunting with no drowsiness or grogginess. Just moved up from the 9mg emsam patch to the 12mg patch. I'll wait and see how it goes.  Just hope they will put Marplan back on the market.  Merry Christmas everyone

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, graycoyote said:

I take 2 100mg  Trazadone  tablets and a 20mg klonopine together I sleep very well. Plus i can go to sleep around 11pm get up at 4am to go hunting with no drowsiness or grogginess. Just moved up from the 9mg emsam patch to the 12mg patch. I'll wait and see how it goes.  Just hope they will put Marplan back on the market.  Merry Christmas everyone

Merry Christmas my friend and I’m glad that you seem to be doing really well on your meds.  Happy hunting my friend and may you bring home some meat 🥩 from the outdoors 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2018 at 6:33 PM, graycoyote said:

I take 2 100mg  Trazadone  tablets and a 20mg klonopine together I sleep very well. Plus i can go to sleep around 11pm get up at 4am to go hunting with no drowsiness or grogginess. Just moved up from the 9mg emsam patch to the 12mg patch. I'll wait and see how it goes.  Just hope they will put Marplan back on the market.  Merry Christmas everyone

I looked on drugs.com and I saw where someone is ordering their Marplan from Denmark. The drug company who makes it is called "Medilink." The user who wrote the review is "Jeffabu" on the website. Hope this helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The Fda dropped any objection to having Validus Pharmaceuticals import Marplan from Denmark on Dec. 21, 2018.  They will soon be testing and distributing Danish Marplan in the USA.  

According to Validus, there needs to be more testing done. The Fda  is partially shutdown due to government shutdown.  I don't know if this is the current source of the delay, but Validus has not yet started to distribute it. 

I will.post a link to the FDA'S Research site shortly. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imported Marlan may be available from your pharmacy within a few days.   Just awaiting final FDA approval. 

These are real Marplan - 10mg tablets.  Color is different - it's a light pink.  The active ingredient is the same. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...