Therapy anxiety

lackluster

Hey everyone I hope things are going ok. I haven't been here in a while and want to start posting again. 

Ive been struggling some in the past weeks but overall feel a bit better. I have my down days though. I want to try therapy soon but I don't a lot of money to work with. I don't have health insurance so I was wondering if it's worth dropping the money to try? I've never done anything like this so I'm really nervous. Anyone have any past experiences with therapy? Is it worth it? 

I was thinking about just talk/CBT therapy. Thanks 

I've been to the therapist once so far and he seemed to really know what I was going through which was reassuring. And, I've heard from many people that they did benefit quite a bit from it, providing that you really do participate. I also don't have insurance, but a lot of therapist do a sliding scale so if you don't have a lot to work with they will work with you, and it really wasnt too bad of a cost, especially if it will help you feel better.. Possibly call around and see if there is someone that will work with you on the cost. I'd say it would definitely be worth the try!

Hope you feel better soon! 

Hi and welcome back. 

I consider talk therapy well worth it. A therapist is a non-judgmental professional who can give you insight into why you think a certain way. Or why you do the things you do. Some subjects aren't appropriate to discuss with family, friends or significant others (in fact they may involve them) which is why opening up to others isn't an effective substitute for therapy. 

I've done a lot of work in CBT and can tell you what that's like. It's often but not always a group therapy session. That may sound uncomfortable and it was for me at first but it's helpful because so many issues are non-specific. Often someone in class will speak up about a problem making you realize it's something you struggle with too. A large portion of CBT concerns distorted thoughts, how they influence how you feel and how to challenge them. There's homework so it is a time commitment beyond attending the sessions. 

Regarding insurance, do you think you might qualify for Medicaid? Open enrollment for 2019 ended but a significant life event automatically makes you able to enroll. As @Groundedmentioned most therapists can accommodate people of limited means. Usually there's no charge for the initial phone conversation to determine whether the therapist and you click. You may need to shop around a bit to find a therapist you feel comfortable sharing with. This is a necessary process for everyone, if there's a lack of comfort or trust then the therapy won't be effective. 

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know if you decide to move forward, I'm sure others are asking the questions you are. 

To address the health insurance issue (assuming you're in the States), I'd suggest checking with local social service agencies.  One resource you may find useful in that search is National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI).  You'll have to dig on the interwebs a bit, but they have resources listed by state.

From my own experience, yes, it's worth it.  Also, from my own experience, therapist interns haven't been good at all for me, despite being "supervised."  All that said, the first therapist may or may not be a good fit.  You don't have to settle for the first one.  When you find someone, you might want to tell us about your experience if you're still feeling nervous or uncertain.

Edited by MarkintheDark

2 hours ago, lackluster said:

Hey everyone I hope things are going ok. I haven't been here in a while and want to start posting again. 

Ive been struggling some in the past weeks but overall feel a bit better. I have my down days though. I want to try therapy soon but I don't a lot of money to work with. I don't have health insurance so I was wondering if it's worth dropping the money to try? I've never done anything like this so I'm really nervous. Anyone have any past experiences with therapy? Is it worth it? 

I was thinking about just talk/CBT therapy. Thanks 

Therapy saved my life.  And I'm going to go back.  If you find the right one she/he's worth it.  Make sure you feel that strong bond, that you're not just another client to them.  I wish you the best.  Did I feel nervous?  Yes, first time it is nerve wracking.  But once you get settled in, and you feel so comfy with them, you'll open up and then begin to learn so much about yourself.  

Thank you for coming back and posting.  You have been given a lot of helpful suggestions.  I hope that you will have the courage to take the next step.  How can we cheer you on?  I know this is such a process, but I want to be there for you.

You are loved.