Sign in to follow this  
AnonNeedsHelp

Okay, so this is kinda weird...

I am apart of many fandoms, all my life I have been obsessed with nerd and geek culture, and of course that comes along with some fictional character obsessions, and I know that it's normal to be obsessed with a character you like but I feel like I take that to an extreme. Ever sense I was in middle school I would pretend that my favorite character (s) we're watching me, like just standing there making comments about me, at first it was just something stupid to think about but I didn't stop doing it, I tried to make it more realistic by giving them a reason for watching me and how they are watching me without me noticing them directly, currently I have created this world where I'm just in an empty town and everyone I see is not real and these characters are observing me to figure out how to get me out of that state. Every day I imagine the same thing, the "story" doesn't progress, it's just a loop everyday, it just all resets. And in my fantasy I'm really important and that's why they need me out of this "simulation", and everything I do is to impress these characters, I listen to the music that they like, I talk about them and watch videos about them and picture their reactions, it's almost feels like I'm actually waiting for them to wake me up so that I don't have to face the harsh realities of my every day life, I feel like I depend on them because they make me feel that the things I do are cool and they sympathize with me and understand and they hear the things I say so that even when no one's listening I still feel like I didn't waste my breath.

I haven't seen anything about anyone else doing this and I just need to know if I'm crazy or not...

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, AnonNeedsHelp said:

I am apart of many fandoms, all my life I have been obsessed with nerd and geek culture, and of course that comes along with some fictional character obsessions, and I know that it's normal to be obsessed with a character you like but I feel like I take that to an extreme. Ever sense I was in middle school I would pretend that my favorite character (s) we're watching me, like just standing there making comments about me, at first it was just something stupid to think about but I didn't stop doing it, I tried to make it more realistic by giving them a reason for watching me and how they are watching me without me noticing them directly, currently I have created this world where I'm just in an empty town and everyone I see is not real and these characters are observing me to figure out how to get me out of that state. Every day I imagine the same thing, the "story" doesn't progress, it's just a loop everyday, it just all resets. And in my fantasy I'm really important and that's why they need me out of this "simulation", and everything I do is to impress these characters, I listen to the music that they like, I talk about them and watch videos about them and picture their reactions, it's almost feels like I'm actually waiting for them to wake me up so that I don't have to face the harsh realities of my every day life, I feel like I depend on them because they make me feel that the things I do are cool and they sympathize with me and understand and they hear the things I say so that even when no one's listening I still feel like I didn't waste my breath.

I haven't seen anything about anyone else doing this and I just need to know if I'm crazy or not...

I understand your fictional character obsession. It reminds me of myself. I used to have these people with me.. but I was the only one they'd talk to. I won't say their names because I don't feel comfortable.. but "K" had a good and bad side, and "K" was in my mind. "R" was his bad side and "M" was his good side. Yet in my real sleep dreams, I'm always "K".

If I didn't have them, I'd have not survived school. They pulled me through a lot. But once I got on antipsychotics, they're almost totally gone. 😞

HEY!! You had a "story" too? I remember my 'stories' started back when I was in the 6th grade. I'm 34 now, and I've still got 'stories', though they've matured as I have...they grew up with me I guess. 🙂

You're not alone, believe me please - I"ve never met another person who had "people" and "stories"! I thought I was alone all these years, and I thought I was some weird lonely guy. WOW. I'm not alone 🙂

I can't believe I'm reading this. My story would go on a LOOP too, because I just enjoyed those few 'scenes' that I'd play in my mind using my characters. Even back then, in what I now call "Vivid Daydreaming", I was "K", though I saw him from 3rd person POV, I spoke for him, and I knew his thoughts.

I think I also went into the stories because I was escaping the harsh realities of life. They are great therapy.

I wouldn't lose them if I were you, though some may disagree. Mine have helped me through a LOT of stuff, and were there for me when no one else was. I've always been alone, and I assume i'll die that way, but at least 'the guys' will be with me.

YES! Exactly! You don't have to waste your breath because they're already a part of you and know you as you know yourself. But have you ever brought someone new into the stories and had to explain things to that new being that you didn't have to explain to your main people?

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION - You're not crazy. It's a coping mechanism. You may get diagnosed with DID (multiple personality) or with psychosis.

Insanity is when you do something over and over and expect a different result... however, when you LOOP your stories, they always end the same way, I assume, so you're not expecting a different result. Even then, if you were, I'd assume it would be either to progress the characters (they grow up as you do), or it would be because you want to bring in more beings or explore new things with your people.

You're not alone! 🙂

I know that this was posted a while back, but I was touched by this story. I'm still young and my stories are what help me get through the day. I'm also glad that I am not the only person who had fictional characters as friends, and created stories with them. And these two posts helped me realize that I'm not totally alone in this world. That is just what I needed to say after reading this. Thank you 

Thank you for sharing this. I have a deep emotional connection to a character on this show right now, but because it is a darker show I find myself in a continuous loop of stress thinking about whether or not the character will survive. It is tough to move beyond and I find it so hard to tell other people about.