Jump to content
A New Look Read more... ×
ufff

will i feel better on zoloft you think

Recommended Posts

Hi, there is my story: Through high school and college I had a couple of rough life moments, but I lived through them thinking it's just a hard time. Then moving to a different country - I had a huge panic attack, but then again it all went fine. Then I had little episodes of anxiety. Big thing started with the post partum, 12 years ago when I couldn't sleep and panic attacks and couldn't understand what is happening with me. I was put on Lexapro 10 mg and Klonopin for sleep. It took a long time, but I felt better. So i thought that it was that post partum anxiety, not depression, that I was just all by myself with a newborn. I relapsed 2.5. years after but again I didn't think it was the part of the same chain, i thought it was just difficult times, life situation. Was on 5mg of Lexapro and Klonopin again, then it all was fine. I had some panic attacks in 6 years, but rarely. After the birth of my second child, I couldn't sleep again, but had less anxiety, was again on Lexapro 10mg and Klonopin. To cut the story short: I never was properly diagnosed and always thought it's just some kind of anxiety random thing, so as soon as I start feeling better, I dropped the antidepressant. I had already 3 relapses since (4 last years) and only now I realized how stupid I was and I have both anxiety and depression, and I don't even know what is worse. It's just when you're busy with a child, you think it's just hard every day on its own, so you don't pay attention to what you really feel and for how long. Now I don't have such responsibilities, only work and I notice how bad I feel: mostly depressed, and due to that anxious, I 'm just not feeling myself and my mind always comments on that. I want to be usual cheerful me for my whole family, but I'm not getting any relief, though I'm trying to do every day chores as usual. This time around I tried Lexapro 10 mg for 21 days and then increased to 15 for 5 days, but didn't feel any better , so my doc switched me to Zoloft 75mg. I was on it for 2 weeks, and I think I started to feel a little bit better (appetite improved a bit, and actually made myself to turn on TV one day and talk a bit more outside the house), but because I spend a lot of time by myself now I still notice I'm far from feeling well, and as if I'm bored and don't know where to "put" myself and what to do. So the doc said to increase to 100mg to feel the benefits faster. 2 days on 100mg I feel worse, anxiety came back and that feeling what not knowing what to do about the whole situation and about your whole day in general, how to handle. Also, before that I tried for 3 months stuff like neurofeedback, 5-HTP, and unfortunately that didn't work rally. So with all that the last relapse seems awfully long, I'm so tired to count the days when I feel significantly better. 

I know a lot of people went and are going through this. But I'm so frustrated about the Lexapro not working, and this new Zoloft. (btw, doc prescribed it because it works on serotonin and a little bit on dopamine, which I don't have enough of both, so she thought it will be the drug for me). 

Do you think there's a chance it will work eventually. Why the increase of the dose by 25mg only is causing me the adverse reaction and anxiety? Any other feedback is welcomed. 

Thanks.

Edited by ufff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ufff,

I have written an up-date on my post "My 10 days on Zoloft". I hope you read it.

Please try and hang in there on the Sertraline, if you can. The anxiety got worse for me at the beginning, but now I feel really so much better.

Sending you a "virtual hug". I hope you have a better day today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zoloft is a very stimulating SSRI, and for those with very bad anxiety, it tends to exacerbate their anxiety before it helps it. It will do this when first starting it and with every dose increase, but eventually you will get desensitized as your receptors downregulate. Hang in there, you'll eventually feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've taken zoloft in the past on several occasions because as you, I went off when I was feeling better. I think it took a good 3 weeks before I really noticed a difference so might just need a little more time to adjust . If I remember right I started with 25 or 50mg at the beginning, and worked my way up too 100 to avoid side effects, but I do think as the dose was increased maybe having a little more anxiety for the first 5 days or so but once it started working it crept up really slow and others noticed I was doing better before I did so possibly because it's still early maybe you're not really seeing the better days,. But overall zoloft was really good to me in the past and I was able to function normally. I recently started on a new one myself (Celexa-Citalopram) and I know that my anxiety increased at the beginning, but it's starting to have results that I can see now for myself, less anxiety, less panic attacks, feel calmer and I am able to leave the house and go do things. I know there very well there may still be some bumps in the road but each day it gets better so I know its working. Also, I did keep a journal of how I felt, every night before I would go to sleep I would write down how I felt that day if there were any side effects that I noticed, anytime I had a lot of anxiety, or a panic attack etc. I really feel if you look back at that you will see the improvement much easier beacause if you have a bad day in between the good ones we tend to think its not working and don't see the good days. 

I hope that you a good experience as I did on zoloft when I was taking it and hope you get to feeling better very soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Groundedwhy are you switching to celexa. I always thought one anti-depressant would work for someone forever and each new time. Now I'm reading that it's not the thing, and I'm freaking out. What if the Zoloft will not help me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 2:12 PM, ufff said:

Hi Groundedwhy are you switching to celexa. I always thought one anti-depressant would work for someone forever and each new time. Now I'm reading that it's not the thing, and I'm freaking out. What if the Zoloft will not help me...

I wanted to try what my mother takes, she said it worked pretty well for her is the only reason, otherwise I would definitely have just went back to zoloft as it's never failed me before. I would make sure to let the doctor know if its not really helping you yet if its been 4-6 weeks or your still having bothersome side effects.

Praying that you feel better soon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 8:31 PM, Grounded said:

I wanted to try what my mother takes, she said it worked pretty well for her is the only reason, otherwise I would definitely have just went back to zoloft as it's never failed me before. I would make sure to let the doctor know if its not really helping you yet if its been 4-6 weeks or your still having bothersome side effects.

Praying that you feel better soon! 

I wrote to my doctor that I still feel anxiety, not full blown but uncomfortable burning through my arms and legs and i think that the pill does it. She said that she thinks that this drug is not for me then if I still feel like that after 15 days on 75mg and 13 days on 100mg. She told me to go to 50mg and I think she wants to switch me. I'm really upset, i can't believe I'm going through this. Every time, lexapro just helped me with time, but this time it's different, I felt low on lexapro after 3 weeks and now zoloft is not the right one either. I don't know what it's going to be, I'm losing hope. 😞 I do feel just a slight better as far as communication with people when before I didn't wanna talk even, now I'm a little bit better. Maybe the dose of 100mg is too high?! Idk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 5:36 PM, mikl_pls said:

Zoloft is a very stimulating SSRI, and for those with very bad anxiety, it tends to exacerbate their anxiety before it helps it. It will do this when first starting it and with every dose increase, but eventually you will get desensitized as your receptors downregulate. Hang in there, you'll eventually feel better.

Do you think even after almost two weeks that it doesn't go away, (with 75mg before those  2 weeks on 100mg, it took like a week for anxiety to go away, then I started 100mg and I think i got worse - well already wrote that)  it's normal and will get better? my doc doesn't think so, she thinks it's not the right med for me. looks like i will go through yet another roller coaster. Can't believe it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ufff said:

I wrote to my doctor that I still feel anxiety, not full blown but uncomfortable burning through my arms and legs and i think that the pill does it. She said that she thinks that this drug is not for me then if I still feel like that after 15 days on 75mg and 13 days on 100mg. She told me to go to 50mg and I think she wants to switch me. I'm really upset, i can't believe I'm going through this. Every time, lexapro just helped me with time, but this time it's different, I felt low on lexapro after 3 weeks and now zoloft is not the right one either. I don't know what it's going to be, I'm losing hope. 😞 I do feel just a slight better as far as communication with people when before I didn't wanna talk even, now I'm a little bit better. Maybe the dose of 100mg is too high?! Idk. 

I would listen to the doctor but also listen to yourself and what your body is telling you. I myself if I remember right took 50 mg for years, pretty sure I tried 100 and it was too much for me also, but everyone is different. Try the 50 mg for a couple weeks and be sure its not for you first, providing that you don't have any side effects that are too bothersome for you, if they are then definitely contact your doctor again and let them know. Sounds like it might be working being that you said you are seeing some positive effects, and some people just take longer to get to a normal level. Finding the right anti depressant can get stressful at times but once you do find what works for you and you get to feeling better it's worth it but you said that lexapro has worked for you in the past so you already know that 🙂 

Hoping that you find what works for you very soon! Hang in there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, ufff said:

Do you think even after almost two weeks that it doesn't go away, (with 75mg before those  2 weeks on 100mg, it took like a week for anxiety to go away, then I started 100mg and I think i got worse - well already wrote that)  it's normal and will get better? my doc doesn't think so, she thinks it's not the right med for me. looks like i will go through yet another roller coaster. Can't believe it. 

Sounds normal to me for someone who is SSRI-naïve, especially for Zoloft, but if your doctor thinks the med isn't for you, your doctor is the professional. I would think if you stay on one dose for a while, eventually your anxiety will level out and you'll feel the therapeutic benefits of Zoloft.

Usually low doses of SSRIs are used in depression while high doses are used in anxiety. So for example, 100 mg would be ideal for Zoloft for depression, where as maxing it out to 200 mg would be ideal for anxiety. That's what my pdoc told me anyway.

What other meds have you tried? Lexapro + Klonopin I read in your OP I think... Anything else?

Edited by mikl_pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×