How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

How many antidepressant meds have you tried?  

757 members have voted

1. 1. How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

• none
    • 9 or more

Dx - bipolar maybe, social anxiety definitely.

Lexapro 10mg - I made it through six days of hell on this junk. I know now that I was rapid cycling between hypomania and adhedonic depression. Then, I was just a mess. And I ground my teeth like no other, aggravating my jaw problems and migraines.

Prozac 20mg - Made me depersonalized after about a month of increased anxiety and depression.

Zoloft 25mg - 100mg - been on varying doses of this since December. No side effects I can't tolerate but I'm not convinced it's actually helping me.

• 2 months later...

Hello!

This is my first post, but the amount of medications that I've been on that really haven't helped is something that has become a problem of late.

Dx: Bipolar II, social anxiety, bulimarexia

Anti-depressants:

Real cocktail here. Tried virtually everything, started with Seroxat when I was 15 (I'm now 26), and went through Prozac, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Effexor, Duloxetine, Zispin, and a bunch of others, such as tricyclics, all of which gave me really bad side effects. Insomnia was the worst, along with sexual dysfunction which in many ways made the depression worse as that had serious effects on my relationship.

Most recently they tried me on Robexetine which gave me the worst side effects ever: insomnia, a feeling of detachment, nausea, sexual dysfunction, and, worst of all, and without wanting to be too graphic, a feeling that I had been kicked in the groin continually. I stopped this after a couple of days as it was agony.

Mood stabilisers:

Valproate - made me eat like a man possessed. It was carb central.

Topomax - couldn't string sentences together.

Lithium - no real problems here, but the long term memory loss scared me (which is something my psychiatrist agreed with given their experience)

Lamotrigine - great, no problems, seems to help, but after being on it for 3 years and still having problems not sure how much it is helping

Anti-psychotics

In a last-ditch attempt to help me while doing my undergrad finals, they put me on a range of anti-psychotics that really didn't help, and gave me this weird feeling that my skin was crawling. Insomnia and nausea.

Ultimately, drugs and me don't really mix, but I would still love to find one that really works. When I try them I normally give them at least a few weeks, but I always do a cost-benefit analysis to consider whether or not the side-effects are causing more of a problem than the depression they're trying to help. I'm still recovering from the sleep deprivation of the Robexetine.

As an aside, reading this board has given me a lot of solace to know that others are experiencing the same things that I have. But the continual sadness that I still haven't managed to get myself 'sorted' gives me a huge knot in my stomach every time I think about :(

Best,

Josh

• 6 months later...
Hello!

This is my first post, but the amount of medications that I've been on that really haven't helped is something that has become a problem of late.

Dx: Bipolar II, social anxiety, bulimarexia

Anti-depressants:

Real cocktail here. Tried virtually everything, started with Seroxat when I was 15 (I'm now 26), and went through Prozac, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Effexor, Duloxetine, Zispin, and a bunch of others, such as tricyclics, all of which gave me really bad side effects. Insomnia was the worst, along with sexual dysfunction which in many ways made the depression worse as that had serious effects on my relationship.

Most recently they tried me on Robexetine which gave me the worst side effects ever: insomnia, a feeling of detachment, nausea, sexual dysfunction, and, worst of all, and without wanting to be too graphic, a feeling that I had been kicked in the groin continually. I stopped this after a couple of days as it was agony.

Mood stabilisers:

Valproate - made me eat like a man possessed. It was carb central.

Topomax - couldn't string sentences together.

Lithium - no real problems here, but the long term memory loss scared me (which is something my psychiatrist agreed with given their experience)

Lamotrigine - great, no problems, seems to help, but after being on it for 3 years and still having problems not sure how much it is helping

Anti-psychotics

In a last-ditch attempt to help me while doing my undergrad finals, they put me on a range of anti-psychotics that really didn't help, and gave me this weird feeling that my skin was crawling. Insomnia and nausea.

Ultimately, drugs and me don't really mix, but I would still love to find one that really works. When I try them I normally give them at least a few weeks, but I always do a cost-benefit analysis to consider whether or not the side-effects are causing more of a problem than the depression they're trying to help. I'm still recovering from the sleep deprivation of the Robexetine.

As an aside, reading this board has given me a lot of solace to know that others are experiencing the same things that I have. But the continual sadness that I still haven't managed to get myself 'sorted' gives me a huge knot in my stomach every time I think about :(

Best,

Josh

SSRIs

Prozac

Paroxetine (Paxil)

Remeron

Effexor

Cymbalta

Celexa

TCAs

Anafranil (just started)

Anti-psychotics

Seroquel (low dose)

Benzos

Diazepam

Lorazepam

Misc

Propranolol

So far in my 3 years of trailing differnt antidepressant medications: Zoloft, Prozac, Effexor,Remeron, Edronax and Cymbalta. Have also tried Sam-E, St Johns Wort, Gingko & 5HTP

None of them have worked for me.

Am still seeking something to bring me some relief, but feel am loosing my mind at the same time. Am SO over this.

Hi,

I have suffered from depression/anxiety for 20 years so I have

tried several meds. My favorite combo is the one I am on now

which is prozac,wellbutrin, abilify and neurontin. The only problem

is the weight I have put on and cant seem to get off. I crave

sweets like crazy! I have also tried paxil, zoloft,effexor,anafranil,

lexapro which all helped my depression except the lexapro which

ran my bp sky high. Unfortunatley I only seem to respond to a

combo of meds and high doses at that but at least they work.

best wishes,

starr

The first one I tried was Prozac. My doctor wanted me on it because my mom had had so much success with it...had a bad anxiety attack, so I was switched to Zoloft, which I was on for about 5 months. I really did well with it. A few years later I was prescribed Lexapro, which did nothing for me and gave me bad withdrawal symptoms when I had to stop taking it ($90 a bottle was too much). I'm now back on Zoloft and doing very well with it. :hearts:

• 2 weeks later...

Anti-depressants:

Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta, Trazodone, Remeron

Anti-convulsants (mood stabilizers):

Lamictal, Topamax, Trileptal

Anti-anxieties (benzodiazepines):

Klonopin, Ativan, Xanax

Anti-psychotics:

Seroquel, Risperdal, Zyprexa, Abilify

Stimulants:

Adderall

I am so sick of trying so many different meds, anti depressants anti anxiety anti psychotics am thinking of giving up on them they make me feel so much worse, the only ones that help at all are the anti anxiety especially Xanax.

• 1 month later...

Well, let's take a walk down poor memory lane. Wellbutrin presently, before prozac, paxil, celexa, effexor, lexapro.

Anti-anxiety Xanax, Klonopin , Ativan.

I'm surprised I remember any of this my brain is so scrambled. :hearts:

• 2 weeks later...

Adderal, Zyprexa, Prozac, Paxil, Trazodone, Nortrypline, Provigil, Zoloft, Effexor, Celexa, Lexapro, Remeron, Wellbutrin, Strattera, Cymbalta, Ritalin, Synthroid, Lorazepam, and probably more I have forgotten about.

[/q

Edited by kadee5

I was on Prozac for two years, had 2 breakdowns on it.

Currently weaning off Lexapro as it has stopped working, and I am currently in a depressed episode.

I have also had Valium PRN, which I should still have but don't. It can be great.

I also have Chlorpromazine to prevent hypomania, as I have episodes but am not dx'd bipolar or cyclothymia, although I cycle when I do not have that pretty fast.

hi i have tried prozak 10 once a day then tried welbutrine 300xl that made me worse than i was so got put back on prozak 10 still in the first monthes of meds. the prozak helped a little think stronger will be better or maybe doc. will try something else not sure my next app. is 5 13 09 good luck to all

xanax, remeron, depakote,ativan, buspar, paxil,prozac,seroquel,pristiq,lamictal,wellbutrin ,klonopin,Strattera and a few others. Sometimes I've felt like doctors have thrown a dart at a dart board of meds and said hey lets go with that one.

I am currently on Depakote, Prisitq, lamictal and Seroquel. I have had some success with the combination. Seroquel has really helped me to sleep, my mind would always race at night. Lamictal has helped with my anxiety quite well. Depakote has kept my mania way down, with out Depakote, I really had high high mania, very scary! The Pristiq is new for me and so far has helped with Depression, I haven't noticed as many side effects compared to others I have taken.

Edited by springheeledjack70

I started trying meds for depression around 1999.

Celexa, weight gain, Serzone, confusion, Paxil, muscle twitches and dizziness, Lexapro was successful for me. After a few years I went off it and was fine until recent unemployment. Generic Celexa made me sick, right now I'm on generic Prozac just doubled the dosage to 40mg. But still having depression and anxiety but improving.

• 3 weeks later...

Risperdal

Celexa

Seroquel

Lexapro

Clonazepam

Trileptal

Sertraline

zyprexa now

the risperdal worked ok to quit the paranoia status that were when i get very bad,

i took two years celexa but noticed in the past december that not was working in all the years that been taking it later i suggested take lexapro and worked fine till that i stopped to take the medicaton by two months and when restarted i get a mania status and now am taking only Zyprexa made me gain weight,, and have some fear that my doctor said about some metabolisc pronlems at long term using Zyprexa.

I voted over 2 years ago in this poll but it has changed since.

In chronological order for taking them:

Zoloft

Wellbutrin

Celexa

Prozac

Effexor (for only three days, but it still counts!)

Cymbalta (which I'm currently on)

I've also been on:

Seroquel (for sleep)

Trazodone (which I currently take for sleep)

Neurontin

Klonopin

Lamictal (which I currently take)

Antidepressants:

Prozac- Still my favorite AD. Most importantly, it works very well for my depression. The side effects are not bad, there is practically no discontinuation syndrome, and it comes in a variety of doses.

Zoloft- Was only on this for a short time, but it seemed to work well.

Cymbalta- Was on this for almost two years. Effective, but made me very sleepy for some reason. Moderate side effects and discontinuation syndrome.

Wellbutrin XL- Does nothing for my depression. I take it to counter weight gain and side effects from my other meds, as well as to promote wakefulness.

Anxyolitics:

Klonopin- This stuff is a life saver.

Antypsychotics (as adjuncts or off-label):

Seroquel- Used as a sleep aid and anxyolitic. It was effective at making me fall asleep, but I woke up detached and dysphoric in the morning. I stopped it quick.

Zyprexa- see "Symbyax"

Combination drugs:

Symbyax (Prozac+Zyprexa)- my current med. So far, this works very well. I am nervous about the infamous side effects of Zyprexa, but this is not supposed to be an issue with this low-Zyprexa-dose preparation. Time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...
interesting topic! here's some info on my experience with each drug.. of course these apply to MY experience only and do not mean in any way the reactions will be the same for anyone else... the first number in parenthesis is the dosage i started out on, the second is the max amount i tried of that drug):

paxil (20mg-60mg) -> extremely effective against anxiety and depression at the 40mg dose, side effects: delayed orgasm, no libido, amotivated, lazy, apathetic.. worked so well it made me lose my inhibitions -- too much. i couldn't shut my mouth, always wanted to socialize, would say inappropriate things, no concern or regard for consquences of my actions.. like deciding not to go to work and not call in sick.. and somehow in my mind that wouldn't be a problem for the boss. (yeah right, i got fired after a short period of this activity).. i kinda "lost my mind" for a while, but in a good way (or at least it seemed that way to me at the time).. possibly this was some type of hypomanic or manic state? withdrawal from paxil is HELL. i tapered slowly over a 4 week period and still was sick daily for 3 months after quitting. brutal.

prozac (20mg-40mg) -> nothing special, worked "ok" at the 40mg dose. side effects: made me sweat like a pig, even in winter. when combined with wellbutrin, i would wake up several times every night, DRENCHED in sweat. night sweats something horrible, i hated it. good thing is though.. no withdrawals when quitting.

effexor (75mg-150mg) -> after about a month on this, at only the 150mg level, i was having negative reactions to this medication. i would get in very agitated states, especially "rages". i would be in class for example (college) and i would just get so p***** off (for no reason) and i would get in my car and get really bad road rage where i'd be like cussing at people and driving 80mph in a 35mph or something. one night i flipped out hardcore like this and i went off of it cause it scared me.

lexapro (10mg-20mg) -> works "pretty good". i'm on this currently. at the 10mg dosage, i had irritability/anger issues like above, but not as intense. it was bothersome though. not sure if it was from the medication, or if it was the fact that the dosage was too low. either way, the doctor increased to 20mg and the problem went away and now i'm feeling fine. it does what it's supposed to do (keep me from going into depression or anxiety), side effects: virtually none, this is by far the most "side effect free" antidepressant i have taken.

wellbutrin (150mg-300mg) -> works "ok". kinda disappointed in the response, as i thought it was going to be a lot more powerful. i expected it to give me tons of energy and motivation, interest in things, etc. it did, maybe.. but only very weakly. it will make you stop smoking though! (of course since it is bupropion, same thing as zyban).. makes cigarettes taste HORRIBLE.. side effects: constant tension in my shoulders/neck/jaw, which made my shoulders ache all the time.. i felt like i was super tense. it also made me feel very agitated physically inside like i wanted to jump out of my skin (i think this is called akisthesia?).. constant dry mouth and dry throat/sore throat because of this.

lithium (900mg) -> didn't feel much effect from this, after two weeks or so of taking it, i felt so nauseated i could barely stand up without thinking i was going to throw up. had to quit.

zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg) -> works well to tone down anxiety and racing thoughts. calming. when you first start taking this you are 1) starving 24/7, 2) sleeping 24/7. best to start at 2.5 and work your way up. MASSIVE weight gain with this. i gained 45 pounds in 3 months.. and i'm one of those people with the super fast metabolism who eats 5,000 calories in a day and loses 2 pounds. i was never able to gain weight my entire life until this. then i gained TOO MUCH weight. i felt like a fat blob. if you're concerned about weight gain, i would recommend against this. i also heard that this medication is prone to worsen or cause diabetes because of this. also, a funny story.. i went off of zyprexa and at a later date i was feeling anxious and wanted to just relax and go to sleep, so i took 10mg zyprexa to do this. let me tell you.. i wasn't right for *4 days*! i slept for like 24 hours, then when i woke up i was so completely spaced out. i felt like i had smoked way too much pan and was stoned out of my mind.. for 4 days. i couldn't even think.. my train of thought was all fragmented. lesson: not a good idea to take on an "as needed" basis unless you have schizophrenia or mania.

risperdal (.5mg) -> same class of drug as zyprexa, without the side effects. no weight gain, intense appetite, or constant sleepiness. it was pretty side effect free except that it made me feel very unemotional and robotic. also this is a very low dose, so that may be why i didn't notice many side effects.

adderall (10mg-40mg) -> my favorite, most effective drug all around. cures depression, focuses your mind, keeps you alert and paying attention, gives you self confidence and motivation. only bad part is that it only lasts a couple hours and you have to dose again. rapid tolernace develops to this drug. adderall is amphetamine/dextroamphetamine, so it's not kid's stuff.. actually it is. heh. they feed this crap to kids like candy. i don't know why, it's extremely powerful. very easy to get addicted to this stuff because of the high/come down feeling. makes you feel super great for 3-4 hours, tons of energy, talkative, in a good mood, then drops you to the opposite when it runs out (feel sleepy, antisocial, and mood goes back to normal).. which sends some people quickly back to the bottle to regain that feeling. extremely addictive, especially to those with previous abuse problems. side effects: body heat increase (causing increased sweating).. increase in blood pressure and heart rate.. destroys your appetite, you don't want to eat.. ever.

xanax, klonopin, ativan, valium -> all these are pretty much the same.. same class of drugs, benzodiazepines. xanax and klonopin seem to be most effective for me. xanax goes into your body and goes out quickly (good for situational anxiety/panic and as a sleeping aid).. whereas klonopin stays in your body a long time (good for those with anxiety problems during the day)..

my friends say i'm weird, but i have a collection of pill bottles, one for each medication i've tried. box full of 'em. i have no idea why i do this.. but i bet someone else here does it too!

out of all the drugs i have tried above, i would have to say that paxil was the most effective SSRI antidepressant. adderall is by far the best all around for depression and its related symptoms.. but is almost never prescribed for depression unless all other drugs have failed because of its abusable nature.

hope that rundown helped some of you. took me a while to go through, but it was fun! if some of you have the time and are bored, you may want to do what i did and give your experience for each drug you've tried.. i'd like to read it, for one.

Very good list, Docs should hand that out to patients complaining of depression and ask them which one they fancy trying.

And Paxil did the same for me - great at the time but looking back now I think I really shouldn't have done that, that was just a little bit crazy.

• 1 month later...
interesting topic! here's some info on my experience with each drug.. of course these apply to MY experience only and do not mean in any way the reactions will be the same for anyone else... the first number in parenthesis is the dosage i started out on, the second is the max amount i tried of that drug):

paxil (20mg-60mg) -> extremely effective against anxiety and depression at the 40mg dose, side effects: delayed orgasm, no libido, amotivated, lazy, apathetic.. worked so well it made me lose my inhibitions -- too much. i couldn't shut my mouth, always wanted to socialize, would say inappropriate things, no concern or regard for consquences of my actions.. like deciding not to go to work and not call in sick.. and somehow in my mind that wouldn't be a problem for the boss. (yeah right, i got fired after a short period of this activity).. i kinda "lost my mind" for a while, but in a good way (or at least it seemed that way to me at the time).. possibly this was some type of hypomanic or manic state? withdrawal from paxil is HELL. i tapered slowly over a 4 week period and still was sick daily for 3 months after quitting. brutal.

prozac (20mg-40mg) -> nothing special, worked "ok" at the 40mg dose. side effects: made me sweat like a pig, even in winter. when combined with wellbutrin, i would wake up several times every night, DRENCHED in sweat. night sweats something horrible, i hated it. good thing is though.. no withdrawals when quitting.

effexor (75mg-150mg) -> after about a month on this, at only the 150mg level, i was having negative reactions to this medication. i would get in very agitated states, especially "rages". i would be in class for example (college) and i would just get so p***** off (for no reason) and i would get in my car and get really bad road rage where i'd be like cussing at people and driving 80mph in a 35mph or something. one night i flipped out hardcore like this and i went off of it cause it scared me.

lexapro (10mg-20mg) -> works "pretty good". i'm on this currently. at the 10mg dosage, i had irritability/anger issues like above, but not as intense. it was bothersome though. not sure if it was from the medication, or if it was the fact that the dosage was too low. either way, the doctor increased to 20mg and the problem went away and now i'm feeling fine. it does what it's supposed to do (keep me from going into depression or anxiety), side effects: virtually none, this is by far the most "side effect free" antidepressant i have taken.

wellbutrin (150mg-300mg) -> works "ok". kinda disappointed in the response, as i thought it was going to be a lot more powerful. i expected it to give me tons of energy and motivation, interest in things, etc. it did, maybe.. but only very weakly. it will make you stop smoking though! (of course since it is bupropion, same thing as zyban).. makes cigarettes taste HORRIBLE.. side effects: constant tension in my shoulders/neck/jaw, which made my shoulders ache all the time.. i felt like i was super tense. it also made me feel very agitated physically inside like i wanted to jump out of my skin (i think this is called akisthesia?).. constant dry mouth and dry throat/sore throat because of this.

lithium (900mg) -> didn't feel much effect from this, after two weeks or so of taking it, i felt so nauseated i could barely stand up without thinking i was going to throw up. had to quit.

zyprexa (2.5mg-10mg) -> works well to tone down anxiety and racing thoughts. calming. when you first start taking this you are 1) starving 24/7, 2) sleeping 24/7. best to start at 2.5 and work your way up. MASSIVE weight gain with this. i gained 45 pounds in 3 months.. and i'm one of those people with the super fast metabolism who eats 5,000 calories in a day and loses 2 pounds. i was never able to gain weight my entire life until this. then i gained TOO MUCH weight. i felt like a fat blob. if you're concerned about weight gain, i would recommend against this. i also heard that this medication is prone to worsen or cause diabetes because of this. also, a funny story.. i went off of zyprexa and at a later date i was feeling anxious and wanted to just relax and go to sleep, so i took 10mg zyprexa to do this. let me tell you.. i wasn't right for *4 days*! i slept for like 24 hours, then when i woke up i was so completely spaced out. i felt like i had smoked way too much pan and was stoned out of my mind.. for 4 days. i couldn't even think.. my train of thought was all fragmented. lesson: not a good idea to take on an "as needed" basis unless you have schizophrenia or mania.

risperdal (.5mg) -> same class of drug as zyprexa, without the side effects. no weight gain, intense appetite, or constant sleepiness. it was pretty side effect free except that it made me feel very unemotional and robotic. also this is a very low dose, so that may be why i didn't notice many side effects.

adderall (10mg-40mg) -> my favorite, most effective drug all around. cures depression, focuses your mind, keeps you alert and paying attention, gives you self confidence and motivation. only bad part is that it only lasts a couple hours and you have to dose again. rapid tolernace develops to this drug. adderall is amphetamine/dextroamphetamine, so it's not kid's stuff.. actually it is. heh. they feed this crap to kids like candy. i don't know why, it's extremely powerful. very easy to get addicted to this stuff because of the high/come down feeling. makes you feel super great for 3-4 hours, tons of energy, talkative, in a good mood, then drops you to the opposite when it runs out (feel sleepy, antisocial, and mood goes back to normal).. which sends some people quickly back to the bottle to regain that feeling. extremely addictive, especially to those with previous abuse problems. side effects: body heat increase (causing increased sweating).. increase in blood pressure and heart rate.. destroys your appetite, you don't want to eat.. ever.

xanax, klonopin, ativan, valium -> all these are pretty much the same.. same class of drugs, benzodiazepines. xanax and klonopin seem to be most effective for me. xanax goes into your body and goes out quickly (good for situational anxiety/panic and as a sleeping aid).. whereas klonopin stays in your body a long time (good for those with anxiety problems during the day)..

my friends say i'm weird, but i have a collection of pill bottles, one for each medication i've tried. box full of 'em. i have no idea why i do this.. but i bet someone else here does it too!

out of all the drugs i have tried above, i would have to say that paxil was the most effective SSRI antidepressant. adderall is by far the best all around for depression and its related symptoms.. but is almost never prescribed for depression unless all other drugs have failed because of its abusable nature.

hope that rundown helped some of you. took me a while to go through, but it was fun! if some of you have the time and are bored, you may want to do what i did and give your experience for each drug you've tried.. i'd like to read it, for one.

Very good list, Docs should hand that out to patients complaining of depression and ask them which one they fancy trying.

And Paxil did the same for me - great at the time but looking back now I think I really shouldn't have done that, that was just a little bit crazy.

I would have to say Paxil was the best for me for my anxiety and depression. I felt great!!! Couldn't handle the weight gain though, and went off. But boy do i miss the good feeling Paxil gave me. Hopefully the Cymbalta+Seroquel combo I have now years later work out for me.

Tink

prozac 20mg about 20 years ago..for 6 months..depression and ancxiety......worked good

Paxil....3 years ago....did not like did not seem to work or me..so tapered off

Effexor XR - NIGHTMARE..HATED IT...HATED THE WITHDRAWL...HAD HIVES...BRAIN SHOCKS...IRRITABLE..COULDNT SLEEP.. was on for 2 months..and tapered off slowly...this is a wicked drug..maybe works for some....but not me.

now./Prozac again....7 weeks now...for...Depression, anxieties, panic atacks...tmj and fibro.....not doing alot yet for the anxietys but i am not depressed amymore..but i do find my tmj as gotten worse....but i think that may be due to boredom..and laying around to much....dont know..will ask doc in two weeks./.I am taking 20mg daily..now that i am older I need a higher dosage...as it worked so good for me years ago

I like prozac..as side effect are nextr to nil

and I take ativan...on an as needed basis...which lately..as been a bit...lol lol