Sign in to follow this  
werise55

Just gave up in this class for no reason

Its my fault to be honest it didn't need to come to this.What I' m saying is that we had a writing assignment that was 200 points and i decided to not do it or try to put an effort on it. its worth 20 percent of our grade and it dropped 2 letter grades when i got a 0 on it. What im trying to say is am i bipolar or something? Like I'm not upset about the grade i got i deserved it but im just upset that what was the point of putting all that effort in class and just like screw up  at the end. We have one more assignment thats 150 points idk if i wanna do it. You guys can go ham on me about it. I don't really want any pity just trying to figure out if its bipolar disorder or something seems like  a sort autism in my opinion just randomly not caring all of a sudden.Also i heard its better to write and let things out instead of keeping them in. 

Hello @werise55,

Oh dear, sounds like a breaking point if I've ever heard on.

Whenever I have a work project coming around and I need to get it done, and done correctly, sometimes I just reach this level of not caring that grinds me to a halt.  I just start wondering why I even bother doing this job.  I start wondering if I just curled into a ball and did nothing for a few days, how uncaring the world would be as it kept turning and moving along.

I don't know if that's similar to what you are going through, but I know the end result is the same in that I end up not turning in the work assignment.  Thankfully, I am so lucky to work around people that show concern instead of anger when I just flaunt my duties.  They know I'm a good worker, and passionate about what I do, so when I drop the ball and make no effort to pick it up, they sit me down pretty much make a step by step schedule for me on how to get it done.  Over time, I skipped that step, and whenever I feel the motivation to do my work slip away, I just sit down and start making my step by step schedule.  It's no longer a question of if I want to do it, it's no longer even a question at all.  I just write down what I'll do each day, each hour, and then I start doing it.  I put little check marks when I finish each step, and I don't stray from the plan.  Why should I stray from the plan?  I don't plan on doing anything else except crawling into bed and staring at my ceiling, but that can wait.  It has to wait.

That's what helps me, and I hope it is something you'll consider when you are deciding to do your assignment or not.  It's not a question of if you want to pass this class or not.  It's just a matter of how you plan to do the assignment.  Best of luck to you, we're here for you!

I wish I had a good answer to your question, werise55.  

A licensed physician is the person to see if one suspects that one is suffering from bipolar depression.  Your health is too important to be left to the guesswork of non-professionals in my opinion.

In my own experience, I have certainly not wanted to do things that I thought I should do and sometimes I did not do them.  The consequences were small in some cases and large in others.  

Sorry I cannot be more helpful to you.  Hope you get lots of responses to your post.  I think it is good to "let things out and not keep them in."  I wish you only good things, only the best!   -epictetus

PS:  I once gave up on a class and it cost me my PhD.  I was suffering depression at the time.  I didn't know that at the time because I had not been diagnosed yet.  Mental illness can have a powerful effect on everything including thoughts, feelings, moods, energy and motivation.

thanks i liked your message.I dont think its a breaking point i just don't seem to care anymore. I think its a sign of maybe school isn't for me and i should do something else. Idk

2 hours ago, Epictetus said:

PS:  I once gave up on a class and it cost me my PhD.  I was suffering depression at the time.  I didn't know that at the time because I had not been diagnosed yet.  Mental illness can have a powerful effect on everything including thoughts, feelings, moods, energy and motivation.

I'm happy to hear it isn't a breaking point, but forgive me if I ask you to re-evaluate.  Depression is not like a cold where the symptoms start, get stronger, then go away.  Depression is when you lose the will to be your best.  And each time depression causes you to not do something, you build up a little more regret, which feeds the depression, which causes you to further lose motivation.  It's an ugly cycle that won't get better if you don't fight it.

Maybe school isn't for you.  Or maybe you are just burned out.  Either way, it comes down to a balance between motivation and discipline.  If the motivation starts dropping, you need to use more discipline to keep trucking along.  Don't give up and miss out on getting your education part way through.

If you feel like this is depression, reach out and find out!  Like I said, it's an ugly snowball that will get bigger if you don't stop it early.  And if it isn't depression, then dig in and use pure grit to finish this out.  You deserve to reap the rewards that you planted, and depression or no depression I know you can do it, don't let lack of motivation be what convinces you otherwise.

Hi werise55! It sounds like you are suffering from clinical depression to me but I'm not a doctor. I would recommend being evaluated by a psychiatrist as they know a lot about metal health and can give you a diagnoses just so you know for your peace of mind (you don't have to go on meds if you don't want to).

UPDATE: I missed my final in my other class  and my god I have a bad week I got a speeding ticket lol . I am the dumbest human being on the planet I'm trying to email the teacher if I can retake it.I doubt it though the syllabus says he doesn't do final retakes. I might be on academic probation now and maybe wont be able to go to school next semester  

12 minutes ago, werise55 said:

UPDATE: I missed my final in my other class  and my god I have a bad week I got a speeding ticket lol . I am the dumbest human being on the planet I'm trying to email the teacher if I can retake it.I doubt it though the syllabus says he doesn't do final retakes. I might be on academic probation now and maybe wont be able to go to school next semester  

I’m going to be touching and agreeing with you that your instructor allows you to take your finals.  Best of luck my friend 

4 minutes ago, werise55 said:

Yea he let me take it today lol I passed the class hahaha I got lucky I honestly don't deserve it. 

No, my friend if anyone deserves it, it is you because you didn’t bring depression and anxiety upon yourself.  I’m proud that you passed and I Praise God for the unmerited Favor that He Blessed you with my friend 

Yea what we did was we arranged the test at my house I had to tell my dad to watch it.I didn't really care about him getting mad or anything I just was like I need to save my grade cant  give up this is my last chance. So I just manned up and told him and for some reason he didn't understand what my teacher was saying so he didn't really care. He was just happy I passed that's all. 

4 minutes ago, werise55 said:

update:I passed with mid Cs on my classes  if anyone wants to know 😄

Glad to hear it!  How's that saying go? "C's get degrees.".  Well, just know that even after you took a heavy hit to the grade, it was still passing.  That was a nice safety net you had built up, so imagine how well you will do next time around!

27 minutes ago, regularpal said:

Glad to hear it!  How's that saying go? "C's get degrees.".  Well, just know that even after you took a heavy hit to the grade, it was still passing.  That was a nice safety net you had built up, so imagine how well you will do next time around!

maybe.I don't wanna go to school anymore its not worth it. Its just a waste of money if you don't really know what you wanna do.I should have went to the military or vocational school instead i could have been making money.

i wanted to go into computer science but i never built a computer before or have had any prior knowledge on coding.Also my school work ethic is bad so i might be getting cs all semester or something

13 minutes ago, werise55 said:

maybe.I don't wanna go to school anymore its not worth it. Its just a waste of money if you don't really know what you wanna do.I should have went to the military or vocational school instead i could have been making money.

Well my friend you are right you could have been making some money but in the long run you probably would not be happy with the outcome of your life.  A quick fix isn’t what you want because in reality it’s not actually a fix at all.  It’s just accepting the easy way out in life and usually it is the wrong road to travel down