"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

On 1/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, Bulgakov said:

"Freeway" 1996, Reese Witherspoon, Keifer Sutherland.

Reese's character is developed throughout the movie, but she doesn't really learn anything . . . because in her own profane way she maintains a firm grip on what she considers good and bad in the world.  Her skanked out, hooker mom (Amanda Plummer) and mom's live-in horn dog, are separated by CPS/Police.  Reese escapes and goes on the lam--she's 16 or 17--to search for her grandma.  Her adventure on the way is the story.  It also stars Keifer Sutherland as a the psycho freeway killer--all in the beginning, no spoiler. 

I ran across mention of this when looking at old Siskel/Ebert reviews.  Both gave it a thumbs up.  Most of all it's hilarious.  In one scene, a black detective interviewing her off-handedly slurs her trailer-park lineage.  She lashes back with a string of racial epithets that you might have imagined but never actually heard before.  The funny part is that viewers know her boyfriend back at the park is black.  She's not racist, she just doesn't like people messing with her.

Bulgakov

This movie is on my all-time favorites list!  Found it years ago somewhere (I don't remember, but probably in the 90's at a rental store) and loved it from jump!!!  I warned friends and family that on the first viewing, you don't know whether to run away or laugh.

The thing is, when Reese is interviewed or her career is noted for its variety and longevity, Freeway never comes up in the conversation.  WHY?????

She Says She Didn't Do It/Violation Of Trust (1991)

Things were always being 'violated' or 'shattered' in 90s made for TV movies.

This is the only time I've seen Katey Sagal in anything but Married With Children, and she and most of the cast give very good performances. It's yet another teenage m*rder story, and the mystery involved is at first interesting. It eventually devolves into a pretty stupid, contrived Agatha Christie-type mess in the end. 

The story is also another instance in which teens involved (or seemingly involved) in someones d*ath could have avoided a whole lot of trouble if they had simply told the truth from the beginning. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

41 minutes ago, SqueezeWax said:

She Says She Didn't Do It/Violation Of Trust (1991)

Things were always being 'violated' or 'shattered' in 90s made for TV movies.

This is the only time I've seen Katey Sagal in anything but Married With Children, and she and most of the cast give very good performances. It's yet another teenage m*rder story, and the mystery involved is at first interesting. It eventually devolves into a pretty stupid, contrived Agatha Christie-type mess in the end. 

The story is also another instance in which teens involved (or seemingly involved) in someones d*ath could have avoided a whole lot of trouble if they had simply told the truth from the beginning. 

Katey Sagal is great in Sons of Anarchy too.

Candyman (1992)

This was the very first horror film I ever saw, when I was about 5 years old after it first came out on VHS, and my older brother and his best friend watched it on repeat. We chanted "Candyman" into the mirror to see what would happen. I last time I saw it was over 15 years ago, and I forgot about half of what happens in the film. It is heavily reminiscent of the Nightmare On Elm Street films, at least the positive aspects of those films. It's approach 'broader' than I remembered, but not as campy as the NOES movies. 

I love Virginia Madsen, and think she should have become a bigger star. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

On 1/28/2020 at 4:14 PM, sober4life said:

1917 It was good enough to make me sit through the whole movie which is something I haven't done in years.

I liked it too. It wasn't the kind of movie I expected, I presumed an epic battle film. Still enjoyed it. 

Finally saw Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker not very long after watching all the prequels in numerical order. I get why many call it a flawed capstone, largely unavoidable, but I felt it was pretty good. I went into the film without huge expectations, ready to embrace it rather than tear it down or to be let down. Glad I saw it before it left theaters. 

Last night I was a in a romcom mood, so we watched Always Be My Maybe on Netflix. I thought it would be a cute, little romcom but it ended up being really hilarious too. Keanu Reeves shows up halfway through the movie to play a crazy, d-bag version of himself in some of the funniest scenes I remember seeing in a long time.

To D*e For (1995)

I've seen it almost ten times by now, but this was the first time I emphasized with Susan Stone. Her husband demands that she abandoned all her unrealistic dreams and devote her entire life to helping him fulfill his. I can relate to someone who knows what they want but doesn't know how to get there and isn't equipped to begin with to attain those things. 

Female On The Beach (1955) 

I finally got around to watching this film last night, because I was bored to death with nothing else to do, and I'm so glad I did. It was one of the few Joan Crawford films from the '50s I hadn't seen. It is as wonderfully campy as most of her other films from that decade. She plays yet another b*tch and I laughed out loud several times at her sassy dialogue and delivery. 

I watched Affliction after finishing the Russell Banks book  the night before. 

I hated it. I thought Nick Nolte and James Coburn, who won a damn Oscar for this, were terrible. I think it if only their two parts were cast differently, it would have salvaged the film. It felt like a Lifetime movie mixed with those cheesy reenactments from true crime shows or Unsolved Mysteries. Some parts were even unintentionally funny.

Edited by SqueezeWax

When A Stranger Calls 1979

I'd seen it before, and thought it was a decent made for TV movie. I was shocked to find after watching it a second time that this was a theatrical release, and a pretty big hit. It is not too different from the earliest slasher movies made around the same time as Halloween. The violent content is very mild, and it plays a lot like an episode of Kojak or Columbo. 

On 1/23/2020 at 11:37 PM, sober4life said:

The Joker

It was great.  Like him I've been an extreme outsider my whole life and extremely mentally ill and the world has been against me from day one and like him I haven't been happy one moment in my entire life.

Same here.

I'm not sure about the Joker being portrayed as an illiterate with the handwriting of an infant, but I did like the political and topical aspects, such as Thomas Wayne is now a corrupt 1%er and a brute. Also, loved the talk show theme throughout the film and was completely taken by surprise at what Joker does on that show. However, in regards to what Joker does and says on the Murray Franklin show; "you get what you f***ing deserve." This is actually a glaring error in writing and dialogue. I'm not sure how many other people have noticed this, but when you think about it, that line doesn't seem to make any sense. Is it not the fact that for literally the whole of Joker's life this man has NOT been getting what he deserves and this is what it has led to?

Anyway, good film. Society is indeed an utterly heartless cesspit. It's enough to make anybody crazy...

The Legend Of Lizzie Borden (1975), starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

I try to avoid true crime, but I made an exception for this because I've been wanting to see more 70s made for TV movies. Even though there have been far more brutal crimes committed, this case still unsettles me in a way that many don't. I think the antiquated 'Gay 90s' setting makes it a little creepier than crimes committed since then.