20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Last night I watched White Christmas (1954), my second favorite Christmas movie.

Tonight I watched Moonstruck (1987), a movie I've begun to watch every Christmastime. It's not a Christmas movie, but it takes place during Christmastime and there is plenty of seasonal atmosphere.

I like it, but I never really got it, and I've given up trying to 'get' it. I think it's partly because I am not Italian or Italian American. A big theme in the film seems to be how first and second generation people of a nationality in the United States live under the customs and traditions of 'the old country'. Really, it might not even matter if you're coming from Polish, Norwegian, or any other descent. The film could still resonate with you if you're someone who is in touch with your ancestry. I come from a family of mutts who grew up never considering ourselves anything other than 'American'.

And I've never even been to New York.

Go (1999)

I liked it a lot. I've seen it twice before, but was too overwhelmed by the ensemble cast and the Tarentino-esque structure and all the wacky sights and sounds to truly enjoy it. I decided to forget making sense of it and therefore can appreciate it a lot more now. 

I have always loved the late 90s fashions and music and aesthetic of the film, which was my main draw to it to begin with. These were the type of kids that I wished as a 10 year old in 1999 I would grow up to be when I was in my 20s. Kids who spend Christmas Eve going to raves and on wild jaunts to Las Vegas,  not to wholesome family gatherings. My oldest brother was deep into the raver scene at the time, and says it captured the lifestyle very well. Sadly I am now 30, and have never come close to  experiencing the things depicted in this film. 

Black Christmas (1974) 

I watch this film every year, but for the first time in years I gave it my full attention. It is an excellent film, but it is so bleak it sort of put a damper on my Christmas spirit.

Saw Frozen with my family this afternoon. A nice movie, the art and songs are very good. We don't have young people in our family so Disney movies like this one are a new experience and they're fun. 

Frankenstein (1957) - Rich bloke with more money than sense who dabbles in weird science decides that he is going to build a man (but not with blonde hair and a tan) using bits he finds, as well as the odd brain he gets from accidents that conveniently happen in his  castle. Unsurprisingly it goes horribly wrong and the dude he creates is a monster who has a propensity to violence (I guess cos he has the body of a ******er?) who escapes from the castle and goes on a rampage threatening the locals, but is then shot by the barons teacher only for the baron to dig him up later and chain him up in his laboratory. 

While all this is happening the baron's love interest appears and wants to settle down to marital bliss in his castle where her main roles seem to be looking pretty and asking the baron if he could just put down his experiments for a bit and come and play with her instead.

Unsurprisingly she gets a bit inquisitive as to what he is doing in there and the monster chases her (SCREAMING!)  only to be shot and fall into a pool of acid.

The Baron gets locked up (haha) and they come to see him just before he is taken away to be executed.. or is he DUN DUN DUN!

Very cheesy but really quite fun :laugh:

Parents (1989) 

I've seen it several times before. It is one of the very, very few horror films that can still unsettle me. It's not an edge of your seat thrill ride like Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Almost nothing happens in the film. It's disturbing and very tense even without much going on. The disappointment is the ending. You except a big twist at the end, but it turns out what appears to have been going on is exactly what has been happening the whole time. The 1950s costume design and set decor is beautifully done and is a big draw.

The Babysitter (1980), an ABC made for TV movie that is a proto Hand That Rocks The Cradle-type film. I had seen it before, but only vaguely remembered it. I love that early 80s soft focus pastel look of low budget films of this era. The movie itself is entertaining enough. It seems a little overlong, though. It isn't believable that the mother and father being manipulated by the beautiful-but-deadly babysitter would take as long as they do to realize she is playing games with them. Actually, they never do catch onto her until she threatens them with a knife in the last five minutes.

Posted (edited)

Boogie Nights (1997) 

I watch it every New Years Eve. It's one of my top 5 favorite movies. It's also the only movie that makes me cry. The montage at the end set to God Only Knows brings tears to my eyes every time. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

Posted (edited)

The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

It was critically heralded upon its release in '97, and was nominated for an Oscar. I liked it better than the book. The cast gives stellar performances. Sarah Polley's is one of the most impressive I've ever seen from a teenager. It's like What's Eating Gilbert Grape? with a dash of Fargo, with a gorgeously dreamy stylized look reminiscent of Gregg Arakki's Mysterious Skin.

Edited by SqueezeWax

On 1/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, evalynn said:

Little Women. Loved it. I remember liking the 90s version too, but this one really moved me.

Haha everyone was crying in my theatre - including me! It's the first time I gave permission to myself to cry in a theatre. What a lovely holiday movie, though 🙂

Posted (edited)

I went and saw Jojo Rabbit. Damn, I haven't had tears in my eyes in a cinema since Rogue One (Jyn & the hologram).😢

edit: and it's hilarious as heck!

Edited by APFSDS
edit: forgot to add

The Positively True Adventures Of The Alleged Texas Cheerleader M***ering Mom (1993)

I liked it, but wasn't blown away. I've been wanting to see this for 15 years. I only got around to it after seeing the TV movie about the same subject starring Lesley Ann Warren from '92 a few days ago. This was ranked as being the second best TV movie of all time by some popular magazine or other, and Holly Hunter who stars won an Emmy. Holly Hunter is the entire reason to watch this. I think To D*e For, the Nicole Kidman true crime dark comedy, borrowed a lot from this film but was better. 

Pretty In Pink it`s one of my favorite films from the 80`s and just one of my favorites of all time. I first saw it when I was about 12 years old if I recall . I also remember going to our local record store to buy the soundtrack of the movie (by the way the soundtrack is excellent). It has a song by my fave the Smiths. You can also see a poster of The Smiths in the record store the main character works in. I just love it. My sister`s and I would watch the movie over and over on cable. Anyway they played it the other night on television and I found myself watching it again.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  I like the way the director takes his time with the stories he tells, and though this is not my favorite of his (that would be Pulp Fiction), I appreciated it nonetheless.  It took QT a long time to get his voice out of the character's mouths; to write them as unique beings, not just extensions of himself.  His movies are exaggerated fantasy, but I like that.

Edited by womanofthelight

A Ki**ing In A Small Town (1990)

This is a better than average TV movie about a very grisly m*rder that took place in Texas in 1980. I was quite impressed by Barbra Hershey's performance, for which she won an Emmy award. The only other thing I've ever seen her in was the dreadful Beaches, so my expectations were low. The movie is based on a book Joe Bob Briggs wrote under a pseudonym. The case involved the use of hypnotism to shake loose memories from the perpetrator, which was quite interesting.

"Freeway" 1996, Reese Witherspoon, Keifer Sutherland.

Reese's character is developed throughout the movie, but she doesn't really learn anything . . . because in her own profane way she maintains a firm grip on what she considers good and bad in the world.  Her skanked out, hooker mom (Amanda Plummer) and mom's live-in horn dog, are separated by CPS/Police.  Reese escapes and goes on the lam--she's 16 or 17--to search for her grandma.  Her adventure on the way is the story.  It also stars Keifer Sutherland as a the psycho freeway killer--all in the beginning, no spoiler. 

I ran across mention of this when looking at old Siskel/Ebert reviews.  Both gave it a thumbs up.  Most of all it's hilarious.  In one scene, a black detective interviewing her off-handedly slurs her trailer-park lineage.  She lashes back with a string of racial epithets that you might have imagined but never actually heard before.  The funny part is that viewers know her boyfriend back at the park is black.  She's not racist, she just doesn't like people messing with her.

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

Yesterday afternoon I began re-watching Angels in America... an outstanding mini-series, a magnificent cast: Meryl Streep, Al Pacino, Justin Kirk, Mary Louise Parker. Jeffrey Wright to name a few. It is a brilliant,  part fantasia, true and prominent story ever told to capture AIDS in the mid 1980's. I highly recommend it... it is about 6 hours long.