20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Posted (edited)

I rewatched the Blair Witch Project. It suddenly occurred to me that this summer is its 20th anniversary. I vividly remember its original release and the enormous buzz and speculation and fanfare surrounding it. I was 10 years old at the time, and wouldn't go near it. The idea of it alone terrified me.  

I think I watched it for the first time 10 years ago. I thought it was pretty effective and unsettling. The last time I watched it was a few years ago when the reboot was released, and I still held the same opinion. This time I didn't think it was scary at all, but it's still fairly absorbing. It's light years ahead of Paranormal Activity, which is the most pathetic excuse for a horror film in history. At least in my opinion. I know many felt the same way about Blair Witch.

Edited by SqueezeWax

17 hours ago, MaepleSyrup said:

I saw that new Lion King movie. I don't know why a number of people don't like it- I actually enjoyed it! It was a beautiful movie. Definitely not as good or better than the original, but it was still a great film

Aw don't listen to the haters XD,  I liked the new version too, they didn't mess too much with the script (aside from a few jokes being missing) and I enjoyed it  , the lil uns there seemed to be enjoying it as well so it's good that it's being enjoyed by a whole new audience who didn't exist when the original came out

Smash Up: The Story Of A Woman (1947)

This is one of at least two Susan Hayward movies that center upon her character's alcoholism. It's like a gender reversal of A Star Is Born. She sacrifices her career as a nightclub singer to raise the child of her newlywed husband, whose own career as a singer skyrockets. It's extremely melodramatic. It's also weird to see Susan Hayward play someone so meek and mild, when she isn't drunk. She gets a happily-ever-after once she hits 'rock bottom', risking her life saving her child from a nursery engulfed in flames after she carelessly drops a burning cigarette on the carpet. 

The Farewell (2019)

Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians) gets the lead in this comedy/drama about a Chinese family and their decision not to tell a grandmother she's got terminal lung cancer. 

I'd describe it as a movie about family ties and the familiar roles we play in our extended families. Awkwafina is terrific playing the role of Billi, a Chinese-American 20-something and daughter who loves her grandma. She desperately tries to keep a lid on her emotions during what she expects will be her last opportunity for a visit. The family invents a fictitious reason for gathering in China, everybody tries to keep it together and run interference. 

Much of the movie is subtitled but that didn't diminish the emotional rollercoaster ride for me and although I never had the chance to know my own gran, I was full of the feels at the end 😥 so I highly recommend ya see it - and bring tissues. 

Funeral Home (1980)

This is about a teenage girl who heads to her grandmother's for the summer to help her convert a family owned funeral home into a bed and breakfast. She overhears mysterious conversations from the cellar, guests and other people hanging around the place go missing, and she discovers that her grandfather hadn't d*ed as she thought, but ran off with his mistress and was never seen or heard from again. It has that charmingly gritty low-budget early 80s horror film look and atmosphere,  but it is pretty dull and feels far too long at its standard hour and a half runtime. I was relieved when it ended. 

Deranged (1974) This movie is the perfect companion piece to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It is a pretty accurate account of Ed Gein's crimes, with the names and setting and little details changed. Like TCM, it's a dark comedy that gets bleaker and more disturbing as it goes on. Most horror comedies are neither funny nor scary, but this manages to be both. 

Addicted To Fame (2012) 

This is a documentary about the making, release, and promotion of Anna Nicole Smith's last film made shortly before she passed away. It's very sad that the people making the film and those in her inner circle would allow her go through with this while she is almost completely incapacitated by drugs. She was far, far, far more out of it on the set of this film than she ever was on her reality show. The director decided to take advantage of her condition by documenting her at all times, so that he could at least sell any embarrassing footage they caught if the film failed to be completed. He then complains about how the death of her son, and then her own death later on screwed with the promotion and release of the film. Then he figured how the ensuing publicity might be used to his advantage. That's the film.

Downton Abbey, the movie. 

Even as a feature film, it still was as charming, funny and touching as before. The cast of the television show has aged and that felt real. Would see again and probably will with friends. 

The Wizard Of G*re (1970)

I bought this film on DVD about fifteen years ago when I was a sophmore in high school and worshiped John Waters, who loves the work of Herschell Gordon Lewis. This is the first time I've watched it since. Normally I would let sleazy little grindhouse films off the hook for being stupid, but this film is simply too dumb to tolerate. The special effects while nauseating are very poorly done. It's also very boring at times. 

I saw JUDY. I almost never go to the movies. This will probably be the only time I will have gone to a theater this year. I liked it, and I've hardly liked any new release I've seen in the past 15 years. I'm not a Judy Garland fan, but I thought it would be interesting to see what life would have been like for a performer like her in the late '60s. It's prompted me to look into her life story. 

I saw JUDY too and loved it. It's not often I don't want a film to end but in this case I didn't. There were zero boring bits for me and I wish it could have lasted longer.

I do have a bit of previous with Judy. I read a brilliant book written about her by a super fan and I was intrigued. Wish I knew the name of that book. It was so good. I'm gonna have to look it up again. The author cherished Judy and it was so lovely to read about the story of her love and admiration for her.

It was as much about the fan writing the book and her love for Judy as it was about the woman herself. Of course there was loads of juicy gossip about Judy in there. Juicy. But written in a compassionate way. 

Edited by Nightjar

Crawl

I absolutely loved it as always when I first saw it in the movie theaters. The story is great (my opinion) I think and the alligators are awesome too bring the fear if this were to ever happen. Which infact it could or perhaps on some level similar things did in person to some folks. 

5 stars

The Joker.  It was pretty good.  I liked how it made you emphasize with Phoenix's character whose mother was a shit.  it also showed how authority/law (which Batman holds in too high of regard) failed him.  He was betrayed by his mother, his boss and a coworker not to mention the authorities which failed to remove him from his mother who let her boyfriends kick the crap out of that poor boy.  Then being investigated by the police for M***** (the first two guys were in self defense but the third who was running away was not).