20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

The Discovery, starring Robert Redford. It's about a "mad" scientist who tries to view what the afterlife looks like for dying people. He discovers something very different.

I enjoyed it. Watched it on Netflix, courtesy of my daughter.

Gräns (Border), 2018.Swedish film. Drama/fantastic/dark-comedy.

Starts good, gets interesting, then a bit boring, then bit interesting again, then just bizarre, and the end is pretty disgusting. But ok to watch for a while if you want to watch a different film. Nothing to remember.

Curtains (1983) This is an above average slasher film, with a uniquely upscale vibe. It’s like Dynasty meets Friday The 13th. It’s not exactly terrifying, but it has some genuinely tense moments and neat twists. 

Avengers: Endgame

All. The. Feels.  !!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS QUOTE BELOW

>

>

>

>

'Tony!  Tony, look at me!' 

'Tony, we're going to be okay - we're all going to be okay.  You can rest now.'

😭  😭  😭  😭  😭  😭  😭

Dark Phoenix (X-Men). Supposed to focus on the character of Jean Gray (Sansa Stark). No Hugh Jackman because apparently he's too old (even with makeup) to be in love with Sansa-Jean else it'd be creepy - said the director. The villian is the galaxy's most confused alien race who fixate but cant seem to come up with even one single halfway decent plan.

Um hmm. Yeah. 

You dont need to see this one. 

The Dead Don't Die. A zombie-com movie.

Quite an impressive cast (a whole bunch of recognizable names that I won't be pasting here) who I bought the ticket to see.

The movie breaks the "4th wall" several times to make fun of the director, the script, the cast, the theme song, the whole zombie movie genre's meta narrative: rampant consumerism. 

Enjoyable. 

20 hours ago, sober4life said:

Masterminds It was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.  0.0 is my rating and I feel like it should be a negative rating really.

Sometimes bad movies are fun in a "so-bad-it's-good" kind of way, but I'm assuming this one doesn't fit in that category? 😆

17 minutes ago, evalynn said:

Sometimes bad movies are fun in a "so-bad-it's-good" kind of way, but I'm assuming this one doesn't fit in that category? 😆

It's one of those very corny movies where I'm supposed to laugh.  Laughing is impossible right now.  I haven't laughed in years.  I'm always just angry and bitter.

Apparently I've been on a 'cheesy disaster movie' kick. 

Bait - yep. that describes it; "Australian Jaws"

Lake Placid 2 - yeah, I was idiot enough to watch the first one; "crazy lady with pet mutant crocs"

Sometimes nothing beats a cheesy disaster movie for laughs - as unintentional as they may be - it's so bad, it's hilarious

Whatever (1998), which is like the Jodi Foster movie Foxes meets My So Called Life. Its leisurely paced and sort of meandering, like Foxes--released in 1980, this film also taking place in the early 80s. Its never boring though, and is absorbing from beginning to end. 

Halloween 6: The Producers Cut

I think the theatrical cut was better. I think it was absolutely the right decision to whittle down the story, and pile on the gore and add more suspenseful scenes. That cut is a proper slasher film. This version is like a crappy low budget series of the time that would have only been played at 3 am on the sci-fi channel. 

Dr. Strange
After catching up on Marvel movies except for what's in theaters (i.e. Endgame), I had to go back and watch this, as I was waiting to watch it with someone.
I liked the movie. It definitely leaves you feeling like there should have been more. Hopefully there is a sequel. Because Dr. Strange doesn't feel complete as a character here.
You have a fulfilling origin, just not enough as the sorcerer supreme. 

Dr. Strange is one of favorite Marvel characters (if not my favorite). Up until this movie, everything in the MCU had to be explained by some kind of science.
This movie is just like, bam, here's magic.... and I love it. I don't need everything to be explained. It's fantasy universe after all. 
That's what I love about Dr. Strange. He is just human who mastered the dark arts. I love the visual styles on the spells. It reminds me of alchemic circles.
And that short battle featuring him in Infinity War --- was pretty freaking awesome.

Posted (edited)

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains (1982), starring 15 year old Diane Lane as a newly orphaned, tough as nails, fiercely feminist singer in a punk band who may or may not have 'sold out'. 

I've watched it twice within two weeks. It's one of those films I think about for weeks after watching it because it leaves a lot up to interpretation. Some critics view that as a weakness, but I think it gives the film depth.

Edited by SqueezeWax

Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Uh, not that far from home considering the hero-teen has been to space. A more honest title would be "Spider-Man Goes To Europe" or perhaps even Sp'Iron-Man. The movie picks up 8 months after Avengers: Endgame and at least tries to show how people are recovering from Thanos snapping his fingers followed by the great un-doing.

It's a visually appealing movie and I found it refreshing to see super hero-villain battles smashing and trashing London, Venice and Prague. Gives the coastal US cities at least a few months to recover before the next movie flattens them again. 

Like other Marvel films, it's an enjoyable experience but makes less sense the more you think about it so, enjoy it as a fun diversion. Don't overthink it. Well, c'mon you can't drive a tour bus around the streets of Venice, that's some bullsh1t. 

I watched the Pet Sematary (not a misspelling) 2019 remake a couple days ago.  Was terrible (in my opinion)!  I saw the original film when I was 13 (I grew up watching horror movies haha), and the whole thing with the "Zelda" character creeped me out for years.  And there were a few other disturbing scenes in the original as well.  Also read the book which was far better than either movie.  But this new remake wasn't even slightly creepy to me, just silly, and the ending was awful.  I've always been very picky when it comes to horror movies, it being my favorite genre, and there just aren't any newer ones that leave much of an impression on me.