20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Posted (edited)

The D-4-22-09-12 I-14 Miss Jones (197-)

Nothing seemed evil or satanic or deviant or dirty about this film. The way in which certain ‘acts’ are depicted and filmed succeeds in undemonizing them. The film has an anti-suicide theme (the title character is an ‘incel’ who commits suicide and is given very brief chance to relive her life), and is more melancholy than anything. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

The Gore Gore Girls (1972) - I love how trashy and low rent this movie is, as well as all the ultra tacky early 70s fashion and decor. These kind of grind house films can be depressing and bleak, but this is of the silly, campy variety. I am desensitized to the latex, rubber and food coloring special effects now, but when I first saw it as a teen I thought it was pretty gruesome. 

Hail, Caesar!

A recent entry by the inimitable Coen brothers, this gem follows a Hollywood studio "fixer" (Josh Brolin), as he works diligently to keep his stable of actors out of the tabloids. George Clooney, Scarlett Johannson and Ralph Fiennes all turn in standout performances in this rollicking homage to cinema's Golden Age.

16 hours ago, Hertz said:

Christine (2016, nothing to do with stephen king), liked it, had a lot of empathy for the main character.

I love that movie. I think I’ve seen a documentary about another film that was being produced about her around the same time, too.

Posted (edited)

Have watched a ton lately, a few that stood out:

Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot

Joaquin Phoenix stars in this biopic of irreverent cartoonist (and quadriplegic) John Callahan. Paralyzed in a car wreck while barhopping with a fellow alcoholic (Jack Black), Callahan struggles to come to terms with his disability and his drinking problem, and in the process discovers a talent for drawing. Jonah Hill steals the show as Callahan's quirky AA sponsor. Uneven at times, but overall, thoughtful and funny.

The 12th Man

Another film based on a true story, this one chronicles the daring escape and rescue of Jan Balsruud, a Norwegian resistance fighter in 1943 Nazi-occupied Norway. Eleven of his comrades are captured in a failed sabotage mission. Jan escapes but must stay one step ahead of the Gestapo in order to reach neutral Sweden and keep hope alive for the brave countrymen who risk their own lives to foil the Nazis and share Jan's fight to liberate their country. A remarkable and absorbing look at Norway's struggle during WWII, as well as an exciting action movie.

Inside Llewyn Davis

Another great, albeit older, entry from the Coen brothers, this one is loosely based on the life of folk musician Dave Von Ronk. Set in 1961 Greenwich Village, it follows a week in the life of struggling folk musician Llewyn Davis, as he tries to find that elusive break that will end his couch-surfing nomad-ism and finally bring some artistic fulfillment. Astoundingly good movie, even more impressive when one considers that ALL the music in this film was performed LIVE and in its entirety(!)  Oh...and the cat steals the show lol..

Edited by LonelyHiker

Pet Cemetery, the old, first movie. One of my most favorite horror movies, with an interesting/intriguing plot and history. The brutal atmosphere and disturbing yet saddening events always makes it never too old to watch!

The Jayne Mansfield Story (1980)

It unfortunately is not as funny bad as I would have expected. The biggest issue is that she is made out to have been barely more intelligent in real life than the dumb blonde she played on screen. The funniest part may have been a tossed off reference in the beginning to her enormous IQ, since the rest of the film makes her out to be an idiot. 

Kurt & Courtney (1998) I watch a lot of sleazy movies because of their sleazy qualities, but this is one of the only movies that has made me feel sleazy for watching it. I’ve been trying to avoid the true crime fad, and I’ve seen this before anyway. I’ve also noticed recently that documentaries tend to be repetitive and make the same point over and over again, and this one isn’t any different. 

Microwave Massacre (1983) I thought I was losing my mind for a little while watching this. Everyone’s performance is weirdly drunken and sluggish, and most of the dialogue only barely makes sense. Everything about this movie is slightly ‘off’ in some way. I’m happy to have watched it though. I’ve wanted to see it for many years. I have a particularly morbid fascination with cannibal horror films.

Avengers Endgame. 3 hrs long! I know you probably don't give my bladder much thought so I'll inform you that I didn't have to miss any of the film to use the restroom. Sip, don't chug that drink - or you're gonna have a bad time. 

Oh and the movie was pretty good. But you  must be okay with the appearance of heroes whom you don't recognize at all because you didn't see all the other movies, watch all the TV series, or read all the comics. 

Announcements