20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Anatomy of a M.u.rder - Otto Preminger's searing courtroom drama, the one by which all other courtroom dramas will be judged. Jimmy Stewart shines as the former DA turned defense attorney, who is tapped to represent a GI who killed the man who raped his wife.

A very long movie, considering it was made in 1959, but it grabs hold of you and doesn't let go.

Edited by LonelyHiker

Have I ever said that I looooooove the Boondock Saints? I & II? 

😍🤩😍🤩

Love those Irish m*th*rf*ck*ers! 

"And Shepherds we shall be / For thee, my Lord, for thee.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand / Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

So we shall flow a river forth to Thee / And teeming with souls shall it ever be.

In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."

On 2/6/2019 at 12:08 AM, Epictetus said:

Deception [1946 film] with Bette Davis, Paul Henreid and Claude Rains.    It was a good movie.  Good acting throughout.  

Well, you've just added to my list.  Wasn't aware that Davis/Henreid/Rains did another one together after 1942's "Now Voyager."  Turns out, as I dug it up, they were again directed by Irving Rapper.  Thx for the education.

Edited by MarkintheDark

Mandy

Visually weird and beautiful. Some flashing lights scenes - I had to close my eyes (might cause seizures in epileptics???). Lots of  gore/violence. Insane and nonsensical. Often too slow-paced, even the action parts. Wish there was more intensity. Chainsaw battle. Moments that were very funny. Nick Cage goes full Nick Cage. Ending had a surprisingly strong emotional impact

I don't know anyone making such visually compelling films as Panos Cosmatos. Beyond the Black Rainbow is a fav of mine. I don't usually "follow" directors, but I'll watch anything he puts out.

I can see why someone would hate this though haha.

7/10

She Drinks A Little/ First Step (1981) I didn’t know that these after school specials are just glorified PSAs when I began watching them. This one was OK by the standard set by others I have watched. 

Whiplash - an aspiring jazz drummer at an elite NY conservatory is subjected to withering psychological and physical abuse by a tyrannical band leader who is determined to push his students to the limits in the name of greatness.

👍👍

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring Extended version (for first time) - thoughts: OMFG!!! Why was the 'extra' stuff cut in the first place?!   🤔

LOTR: Two Towers Extended version (second time) - thoughts: love LOTR, a little embarrassed to say I've never read the books.....  😳

Actually went to the theater and saw Green Book with a friend last night. I rarely go "out" to the movie anymore, but just couldn't wait for this one to be released on DVD.

Based on a true story, Viggo Mortensen plays Tony Lip, a tough-talking nightclub bouncer from the Bronx, who becomes the unlikely chauffeur of world class  black composer and pianist Dr. Don Shirley, who is doing a tour of venues in the deep South. The trip leads the pair to bond in friendship, a friendship forged in the fires of hostility and prejudice.

I predict it will win Best Picture and that Mortensen will nab Best Actor.

If you haven't seen it - GO SEE IT

Edited by LonelyHiker

'Agatha & the Truth of Murder' - about the missing 11 days of Agatha Christie's life in December 1926.  Interesting period piece; I'm not up on my Christie-History, so I can't speak to accuracy.  👍

'Polar' - stars Mads Mikkelsen - when does he ever NOT kick ass?  I enjoyed this one even though it was full of tropes and cliches, because I loved watching Mads wipe the floor with the idiots who double crossed him.  👍😎

On 2/8/2019 at 6:02 AM, Ratvan said:

Ballard of Buster Scruggs - WOW!!!

I actually ended up watching this because I saw it here - I really liked it. Sort of a visual version of a short story collection.  👍

Announcements