"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Don't Look Up. I didn't think it was particularly funny. It felt contrived to me, and I think it was a pathetic attempt at gaslighting. Yes, Hollywood loves to toss the propaganda at us and this movie made "fun" of that, but not really.

I watched the newest Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie on Netflix.  There are politics in the movie maybe enough to make some turn off the movie in the first half hour but it's no different than any other horror movie they ever made.  They're trying to get you to hate some characters and route for some characters.  That's it.  It wasn't bad though by horror movie standards.  It's about as good as all the rest of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies probably a 6.5 to 7 range rating.  You might just as easily turn it off as watch it.  You know better than nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Leprechaun's Curse

It's easily the worst movie of all time.  The actors and actresses must have been paid in coupons or they said hey I'll give you a free cup of coffee if you do this movie.  Half the time you can't even tell what they're saying.  Come on!  Maybe it's time for me to make my own horror movie.  It can't be worse than this!

Edited by sober4life

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Still haven't slept...so it's been a big movie day...

Attack of the Monsters (AKA Gamera vs. Guiron) (1969) - 7 out of 10 - #5 in the Gamera Series...considered one of the lesser movies in the canon. However, is one of the few movies to ever be spotlighted twice on MST3K.

Bride of the Gorilla (1951) - 5 out of 10 - A version of Jekyll & Hyde that uses jungle voodoo instead of a potion to convert man to beast, set in the South American rainforest. Even having Raymond Burr and Lon Chaney leading the cast couldn't pull this one off.

The Astral Factor (1976) - 6 out of 10 - Low budget, Made-for-TV movie where a criminal learns to manipulate paranormal powers to turn himself invisible, escape from prison and terrorizes a community by ending women who remind him of his mother.

Galaxy Invader (1985) - 4 out of 10 - Extreme Low-Budget Sci-Fi affair, with a completely unknown cast, in which an alien crash lands on Earth to only be chased by drunken good ol' boys in hopes of becoming rich by selling stolen alien technology to the government. Definitely only for those who enjoy schlocky movies.

Edited by Frankensense

Snowbeast (1977) - 7 out of 10 - A Made-for-TV movie done to take advantage of the Yeti craze of the mid-70s. Here a Bigfoot terrorizes a snow resort community. Starring two of the biggest stars in Hollywood at that time...in height, not in popularity... with Bo Svenson (North Dallas Forty, Walking Tall: parts 2 & 3) and Clint Walker (The Dirty Dozen, The Night of the Grizzly). A surprisingly well done picture, especially for its genre and pedigree.

Unknown World (1951) - 5 out of 10 - A B&W flick that combines the worries of the atomic age with that of the hollow Earth theory. Follows loosely along the line of Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth with a few technological improvements over the classic piece. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to Verne's book. 

45 minutes ago, surfcaster said:

Just watched dr detroit again, dan akroyd cracks me up

Excellent Choice. Just found out that he and co-star Donna Dixon are ending their 39 year marriage...since I'm not one who follows the Celebrity Circuit, I never knew they were married. 

Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972) - 7 out of 10 - Vincent Price's final film for American International,, and the sequel to The Abominable Dr. Phibes from the previous year. Co-Stars Peter Cushing and Robert Quarry, two other horror icons. If you enjoy classic horror, you'll enjoy this...

Still up since Thursday...so the movies continue:

On the mention of Surfcaster, I had to watch Doctor Detroit (1983) - 7 out of 10 - Classic 80's comedy: a College assistant professor goes from being a teacher to pimp and remaking the underbelly of Chicago's darker side all at the same time. 

M*A*S*H (1970) - 8 out of 10 - A look behind the scenes at a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War. The Basis for the hit TV show. This movie could not be made today with all it's triggering terminology and insensitive word usage. The nickname of the Black javelin thrower would be enough to evoke protests and riots, not to mention how the revelation of Hotlip's natural hair color would enrage the #metoo crowd.

The last movie before I passed out from exhaustion:

Any Which Way You Can (1980) - 7 out of 10 - The sequel to Every Which Way But Loose. Bare knuckles fighter Phil Beddoe mixes it up with the Mob, the Black Widow biker gang and gamblers which leads up to the "Fight of the Century."

Uncle Buck (1989) - 7 out of 10 - Possibly John Candy's best leading role ever. A black sheep of the family is asked to watch over his nieces and nephew while his Brother and Sister-in-law go to Indianapolis to take care of her father. One of John Hughes' last creations of the 80s.

The Last Starfighter (1984) - 7 out of 10 - Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Zur and the Ko-dan Armada. A Gamer's dream comes true as he is asked to put his joystick skills to use in defending the galaxy against an invasion of a hostile race.

The Cowboys (1972) - 9 out of 10 - One of the best "Coming of Age" movies you'll ever experience. EVERY young boy should sit down and watch this with his father. John Wayne takes a group of pre-teen boys on a cattle drive because all of the "men" are off suffering from gold fever. Make sure to take note of the respect given and taken between Roscoe Lee Browne and Wayne's characters. 

Another night of Insomnia:

Cahill: United States Marshall (1973) - 6 out of 10 - John Wayne assumes the role of a U.S. Marshall tasked with the challenge of raising two boys on his own after being widowed. Includes a great life lesson of respect and the teaching of it to sons for all fathers to emulate.

Darkman (1990) - 8 out of 10 - Before Spider-Man (2002) and after The Evil Dead (1981), Sam Raimi created Darkman, a anti-hero vigilante origin story that equaled Tim Burton's Batman (1989). The only way it could have been better was if Bruce Campbell had been given the leading role instead of Liam Neeson.

17 hours ago, Frankensense said:

Uncle Buck (1989) - 7 out of 10 - Possibly John Candy's best leading role ever. A black sheep of the family is asked to watch over his nieces and nephew while his Brother and Sister-in-law go to Indianapolis to take care of her father. One of John Hughes' last creations of the 80s.

The Last Starfighter (1984) - 7 out of 10 - Greetings, Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Zur and the Ko-dan Armada. A Gamer's dream comes true as he is asked to put his joystick skills to use in defending the galaxy against an invasion of a hostile race.

John candy, gone too soon, one of the greats of comedy

Posted (edited)

I think Planes Trains and Automobiles was John Candy's best movie.  Delirious was good too if you're a soap opera fan.

Edited by sober4life

Resurrection of the Golden Wolf (1979) - 7 out of 10 - A Japanese crime thriller film based on a novel by Haruhiko Oyabu. Includes a minor role with legend Shin'ichi (Sonny) Chiba. Starring Yusaku Matsuda at the height of his career, this crime drama keeps you on your toes to the very end. Matsuda plays the part of a mild-mannered accountant who works for an oil company by day and as a bank-robbing assassin by night. It won't be your cup o' tea if you don't like subtitled movies. 

Posted (edited)

The Green Knight - 5/10

I was surprised how much I disliked it. I think I just don't get David Lowery's work (also didn't like A Ghost Story).

Old Henry - 7.5/10

I hadn't heard about this movie but it's great! Highly recommend if you're into Westerns (fyi, there's some pretty violent scenes).

Edited by Kogent5
added movie

I've lost track of how long I've been up this time. Anyway, movies since last reporting in:

Remember the Titans (2000) - 9 out of 10 - The Hollywood version of the racial integration of T.C. Williams High School in Virginia in 1971. Stars Denzel Washington and Will Patton. An inspirational work done by Disney before they joined the dark side.  

From Hell (2001) - 6 out of 10 - A retelling of the story of Jack the Ripper starring Johnny Depp, Ian Holm and Heather Graham set in Victorian London.

Lethal Weapon 3 (1992) - 8 out of 10 - The third of the Buddy Cop series starring Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Joe Pesci and, newcomer to the series, Rene Russo. Keeps the momentum of the series running strong and doesn't disappoint.

Fort Apache, the Bronx (1981) - 8 out 10 - Gritty look at one of the toughest precincts in NY and the corruption that lives within it. Stars Paul Neuman and Ed Asner.

Draft Day (2014) - 8 out of 10 - The day in the life of the Cleveland Browns General Manager (Kevin Costner) as he deals with a train wreck of a personal life along with attempting to keep his job after trading away the future of the team.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - 8 out of 10 - A recreation of the TOS second season episode The Changeling (S2E3), The Enterprise crew return to stop an invading sentient machine from destroying Earth.

Out for Justice (1991) - 7 out of 10 - Steven Seagal plays a NYPD detective from Brooklyn who knows everyone and everything in his neighborhood. After his partner is killed, he must take on the mob, the neighborhood and the department to find justice for the multiple victims of a crazed madman.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003) - 7 out of 10- The conclusion of Robert Rodriguez's el Mariachi trilogy. Stars Antonio Banderas, Johnny Depp, Salma Hayek, Eva Mendes, Danny Trejo and Mickey Rourke.

Ghost Rider (2007) - 7 out of 10 - The big-budget transition from the Marvel Comics to the Silver Screen of the Devil's Rider; a man who sold his soul to Mephistopheles to save his father and becomes his personal bounty hunter. One of my personal favorite minor Marvel Universe characters. Stars Nic Cage, Peter Fonda, Sam Elliot and Eva Mendes.

Posted (edited)

Time to check in...Yesterday's movies...movies after midnight will be included in the next post...

Stingray (1978) - 7 out of 10 - On par with other chase movies of that era (Race with the Devil (1975) and Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry (1974)), this low-budget indie film has some excellent chase scenes involving a '71 Chevelle Malibu and a '64 Corvette Stingray. A previously lost film, an original copy was found in the garage of the creator and was restored for the 40th anniversary.

Lady in Cement (1968) - 6 out of 10 - A more modern Film Noir starring Frank Sinatra, Dan Blocker, Richard Conte and Rachel Welch. While diving for sunken treasure, street-smart gumshoe Tony Rome (Sinatra) finds the body of a gorgeous blonde, her feet stuck in a block of cement. Soon after, tough guy Waldo Gronski (Blocker) hires him to find a missing woman named Sandra Lomax, and Rome wonders if there's a connection. He sets about trying to locate the woman, and in no time finds himself mixed up with a beautiful party girl (Welch) and a slippery racketeer. Based on the novel by Marvin H. Albert.

Dead Heat (1988) - 7 out of 10 - LAPD police officer, Roger Mortis is killed while arresting zombies who have been reanimated by the head of Dante Laboratories in order to carry out violent armed robberies. Stars Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo, Darren McGavin and Vincent Price.

Violent City (1970) - 6 out of 10 - A hitman is double-crossed by his girlfriend and barely escapes an attempt on his life. He then sets out to take his revenge on the woman and the gang boss who put her up to it. Stars Charles Bronson, Telly Savalas and Jill Ireland. 

Takers (2010) - 6 out of 10 - A seasoned team of bank robbers, including Gordon Jennings, John Rahway, A.J., and brothers Jake and Jesse Attica successfully complete their latest heist and lead a life of luxury while planning their next job. When Ghost, a former member of their team, is released from prison he convinces the group to strike an armored car carrying $20 million. As the "Takers" carefully plot out their strategy and draw nearer to exacting the grand heist, a reckless police officer inches closer to apprehending the criminals. Some consider it an example of if The Fast and the Furious and Ocean's 11 had a baby. Stars Paul Walker, Matt Dillion and Idris Elba.

The Score (2001) - 6 out of 10 -  Stars Robert De Niro, Edward Norton, Angela Bassett and Marlon Brando. An aging thief (De Niro) hopes to retire and live off his ill-gotten wealth when a young kid (Norton) convinces him into doing one last heist.

Edited by Frankensense

Posted (edited)

The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) - 8 out of 10 - Samantha Caine, suburban homemaker, is the ideal mom to her 8 year old daughter Caitlin. She lives in Honesdale, PA, is a school teacher and makes the best Rice Krispies treats in town. But when she receives a bump on her head, she begins to remember small parts of her previous life as a lethal, top-secret agent. Stars Geena Davis, Brian Cox, David Morse and Samuel L. Jackson.

Contact (1997) - 9 out of 10 - A radio astronomer receives the first extraterrestrial radio signal ever picked up on Earth. As the world powers scramble to decipher the message and decide upon a course of action, she must make some difficult decisions between her beliefs, the truth, and reality. Dedicated to Carl Sagan and considered by many to be the greatest hard-science fiction movie of all time. Stars Jodie Foster, Tom Skerritt, David Morse, John Hurt, Matthew McConaughey, Angela Bassett, James Woods and William Fichtner.

Tall in the Saddle (1944) - 8 out of 10 - When Rocklin (Wayne) arrives in a western town, he finds that the rancher who hired him as a foreman has been assassinated. He is out to solve the crime and thwart the scheming to take the ranch from its rightful owner. Stars Gabby Hayes and John Wayne.

The Invisible Man (1933) - 9 out of 10 - Based on the novel by H.G. Wells. Working in Dr. Cranley’s (Henry Travers) laboratory, scientist Jack Griffin (Claude Rains) was always given the latitude to conduct some of his own experiments. His sudden departure, however, has Cranley’s daughter Flora (Gloria Stuart) worried about him. Griffin has taken a room at the nearby Lion’s Head Inn, hoping to reverse an experiment he conducted on himself that made him invisible. But the experimental drug has also warped his mind, making him aggressive and dangerous. He’s prepared to do whatever it takes to restore his appearance.

Kil ling Them Softly (2012) - 7 out of 10 - Stars Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta and Ben Mendelsohn. Jackie Cogan (Pitt) is an enforcer hired to restore order after three dumb guys rob a mob-protected card game, causing the local criminal economy to collapse.

Darkman II: The Return of Durant (1995) - 6 out of 10 - Darkman (Arnold Vosloo) and Durant (Larry Drake) return and they hate each other as much as ever. This time, Durant has plans to take over the city using high-tech weaponry. Darkman must step in and try to stop Durant once and for all.

Edited by Frankensense

Spent most of the day trying to get motivated to go to town and zoned out on Law and Order reruns. Never made it. Perhaps today.

Bad Company (2002) - 5 out of 10 - When a Harvard-educated CIA agent is assassinated during an operation, the secret agency recruits his twin brother. Stars Chris Rock, Peter Stormare and Sir Anthony Hopkins. A complete waste of their talents.

Rampage (2018) - 8 out of 10 -  Primatologist Davis Okoye (Dwayne Johnson) shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, albino silverback gorilla who has been in his care since birth. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size. To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created alpha predators tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with a discredited genetic engineer (Naomie Harris) to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend. Based on the 1986 2-D video game of the same name from Midway, this rendition was probably the best possible outcome you could want and it stayed faithful to the original material. Jeffrey Dean Morgan steals the show as the secretive Government Agent.

Shin Godzilla (2016) - 10 out of 10 - When a massive, gilled monster emerges from the deep and tears through the city, the government scrambles to save its citizens. A rag-tag team of volunteers cuts through a web of red tape to uncover the monster's weakness and its mysterious ties to a foreign superpower. But time is not on their side - the greatest catastrophe to ever befall the world is about to evolve right before their very eyes. The last non-cartoon Godzilla movie released by Toho to this date.

The Batman.  I don't go to superhero universe movies--they're all innately silly.  I was drawn to this one by the music in the trailers.  I appreciate it when composers and directors make their intentions clear--i.e., am I punctuating beats of action/dialogue in the picture? Am I using silence as though it were music? 

I liked this Batman mostly for the score and the concept of BM being a weirdo vigilante instead of a superhero.  

That's what people really connect to because it's more real like the movie Joker.  Nobody believes in heroes anymore.  They believe in people that are at their wits end and can't stand this place anymore.

Posted (edited)

Westworld (1973) - 7 out of 10 - In a futuristic resort, wealthy patrons can visit recreations of different time periods and experience their wildest fantasies with life-like robots. But when Richard Benjamin opts for the wild west, he gets more than he bargained for when a gunslinger robot goes berserk. Written and Directed by Michael Crichton and starring Richard Van Patton, Yul Brenner, Richard Benjamin, James Brolin and Majel Barrett.

The Next Karate Kid (1994) - 6 out of 10 - Mr. Miyagi decides to take Julie, a troubled teenager, under his wing after he learns that she blames herself for her parents' demise and struggles to adjust with her grandmother and fellow pupils. Stars Michael Ironside, Hilary Swank and Pat Morita.

Puppet Master III: Toulon's Revenge (1991) - 7 out of 10 - In Berlin during WWII, the Nazi regime is attempting to develop a drug that will reanimate the dead in order to use them in the war effort. Toulon arouses suspicion as a Nazi dissident, and his secret is discovered. During a Nazi raid on his home, Toulon's beautiful wife is obliterated. Toulon vows revenge, with the help of his animated puppets.

The Dirty Dozen (1967) - 8 out of 10 - 12 American military prisoners in World War II are ordered to infiltrate a well-guarded enemy château and eliminate the Nazi officers vacationing there. The soldiers, most of whom are facing the gallows for a variety of violent crimes, agree to the mission and the possible commuting of their sentences. The All-Star Cast is led by Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson and Ernest Borgnine.

House on Haunted Hill (1959) - 8 out of 10 - Frederick Loren (Vincent Price) has invited five strangers to a party of a lifetime. He is offering each of them $10,000 (about $99,350 today) if they can stay the night in a house. But the house is no ordinary house. This house has a reputation for evil. Frederick offers them each a gun for protection. They all arrived in a hearse and will either leave in it sitting up $10,000 richer or leave in it laying down in the back!

Edited by Frankensense