"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Flight (2012) 

A thoroughly engrossing performance by Denzel Washington. The story has fanciful parts, maybe on occasion breaking immersion.  But I like stories which show the torment endured along the path to recovery. 

32 minutes ago, Nightjar said:

Solaris 🤔 A nice l'il bit of sci-fi. I always enjoy a film which lets my imagination run wild 😂

Which one? 😄 Classic Soviet one or remake? I've never seen any of them, although they're in my "to watch list".

The Remains of the Day, rewatched it again... I see myself as that damn butler. lol

4 minutes ago, APFSDS said:

Which one? 😄 Classic Soviet one or remake? I've never seen any of them, although they're in my "to watch list".

The Remains of the Day, rewatched it again... I see myself as that damn butler. lol

Must be the remake. It's got George Clooney in it 😂 I enjoyed it because it's something I've never imagined before. Always a bonus 😆

Posted (edited)

Gangs of New York--1938, Charles Bickford (free on YouTube)

This was known as a "B" movie then, and the writing and acting haven't gotten much better, but, the story could be the first of its kind.  It's also fun to look at what the camera/direction was like for the still early talkies.  Most all scenes just cut away to the next scene.  A scene with several people in a room still generally shot from the front using the room as a frame, to film a play.  Seniors here may remember Bickford as a gray haired senior, nominated three times for Oscars.  Lots of quality early gangster/crime movies can be watched free on the net also.

Edited by Bulgakov

On 6/3/2021 at 7:26 PM, Bulgakov said:

Gangs of New York--1938, Charles Bickford (free on YouTube)

This was known as a "B" movie then, and the writing and acting haven't gotten much better, but, the story could be the first of its kind.  It's also fun to look at what the camera/direction was like for the still early talkies.  Most all scenes just cut away to the next scene.  A scene with several people in a room still generally shot from the front using the room as a frame, to film a play.  Seniors here may remember Bickford as a gray haired senior, nominated three times for Oscars.  Lots of quality early gangster/crime movies can be watched free on the net also.

I remember I used to watch gangster movies on TCM and also on local channels. A long time ago for me. Haven't watched any for decades now, but I keep wanting to get a few to see... see? 😄 Mnyah!
edit: I taped a large magnifying glass case to a stick, so it would look like a Tommy gun and go around the rooms and streets collecting protection money. 😄

I watched "Ashens and the Polybius Heist" hilarious!

Edited by APFSDS

Morgue  It's subtitles the whole way through and low budget but still pretty good.  I'm turning into a wimp when a low budget horror movie messes with me like that.

Edited by sober4life

ICARUS. It's a true story about the Russian state run olympic athlete doping program. Pretty sad to see just how long its been going on. Much longer than I thought, goes back to the 60s... And the most pathetic part, watching the likes of Putin and company, completely denying all of it.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:26 PM, Nightjar said:

I'm going to see The Father tomorrow. First time I've been to the cinema in what, 18 months? 🤔

I'm glad I finally got back to the cinema but I wouldn't really recommend this film...It's just so depressing.... Not what I was looking for.... Outstanding performances by Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman but y'know very depressing. After Covid I need cheering up 😬 Cinema was cool though.. I was glad we didn't have to wear a mask while seated 👍

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Nomadland last night. Got it on DVD 🤔 I really wanted to see this because it addresses a lot of issues I often think about.... 

I'll probably watch again today.. Lots of lovely scenery, some of the joys of being mobile were evident (like being in close contact with nature) but the crappy jobs the nomad was doing along the way made me want to throw up.... Also the fact that she had to go to the bathroom in a bucket inside her tiny van was gross. 

I liked the scenes where she was having deep conversations with the folks she met along the way. 

I liked it. But a lot of people will find it slow,  I'm sure.... For me, something to be revisited and absorbed more fully. 

Dead Silence

It's supposed to be a horror movie but I can't imagine anyone at any age being afraid after watching it.  You could probably show it to a Kindergarten class and they would laugh at how corny and pathetic it is.

The below stuff is from a site called wealthygorilla.  They do other lists, odds and ends and reviews.  I've googled best series to binge on, and this is one is my favorite.  The movies include drama, comedy, all the kinds of fantasy, and animation.   Some of these I never watched, and a few I'd never heard of.  I've watched a lot of them, and I pretty much agree with their rankings.  But it's a useful list to pick from anyway.  I also think the "Sopranos" was the best.   My honorable mention, "The Americans". 

(their website has summaries of each of the series)

Bulgakov

"The 50 Best TV Shows of All Time

The list of TV shows and figures mentioned below have been compiled from various sources around the web, such as IGN, IMDB & Empire. 

1. The Sopranos

2. The Wire

3. Breaking Bad

4. Game of Thrones

5. Mad Men

6. The Twilight Zone

7. The Simpsons

8. Seinfeld

9. Lost

10. Saturday Night Live

11. The Office

12. Star Trek: The Original Series