20YearsandCounting

"What Was The Last Movie(S) You Saw, And What Did You Think Of It?" #3

Re-starting this great thread!  Let us know the last movie you watched, and what you thought of it!  Here are the last replies from the other thread to get you started.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:51 PM, Tux said:

I did not give up on my cheese flick quest and The Princess Switch won so far, with Parmesan on top!

It's even funnier after a few adult beverages ... Just sayin' 🙊

On 11/30/2018 at 8:53 PM, surfcaster said:

the shape of water,

it was a bit weird to start but really found i liked it and realized why it won awards

On 12/5/2018 at 10:51 AM, Bulgakov said:

Yes, "The Shape of Water" is an excellent film.  Director Del Torro--I don't think I can spell Guellermo--is one of film's foremost practitioners of "magical realism", a genre critics had to invent to describe the books of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 

Bulgakov

Dumplin'

I am assuming Netflix recommended this due to me clicking on loads of terrible cheesy Christmas flicks recently. But I spotted Jennifer Aniston in it, so I figured I couldn't wrong after my string of flings with cheese.

It's good. Entertaining where it needs to be, kinda sad where it needs to be, plus the bonus is you don't need too much brain power to watch and follow it and it all comes to an ending where you might think... 'Noooo, not yet! I am not done yet!'

Might be a bit of a chick flick, but if you have netflix and you're looking for something to zone out to and giggle every now and then, this is your pick!

Edited by Tux

"The Witch".  First saw this as part of my ongoing blur of five-minutes-worth of horror films.  I let it go quickly as it was slow, and I'd not heard of it.  Then I saw it listed as a "best of horror" for the year, then further down in another list as simply one of the best for 2015 or '06, so I watched it all.  Very good movie.  It's spare, almost stark, but the dialogue is fresh when needed. Gives credit to writing and quotes from the time setting of the narrative, and really does a good job there.  The end is anti climatic, the conclusion of a story that reaffirms the mediocrity of a life of faith, and the comparative brilliance of the supernatural.  

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

The mechanic 2 or 3 or possibly more..

Jason Statham came back for some more playing the assassin with the smooth moves who takes out various bad guys, throw in the old kidnapped girlfriend plot and a deal with one of the guys he is supposed to take out to rescue his girlfriend, add in a few words, explosions and you have a movie. 

Edited by hocico

I've watched a bunch in the last few weeks (seems all I do anymore is work and spin DVDs..), too many to list in their entirety.

A few standouts that I recommend:

Lion - based on the true story of a 5 year old Indian boy who unwittingly winds up stranded over 1000 miles from his small village, and his remarkable journey, spanning decades, in his quest to reunite with his family. Buy some Kleenex before viewing.

The Lost City of Z - also based on a true story.  Lush and beautifully photographed, this film chronicles the life of British explorer Percy Fawcett, who believed an advanced civilization once flourished deep in the Amazon basin, and devoted the larger part of his life to finding it. Historical drama at its finest.

Boy - a quirky New Zealand film with just the right blend of comedy and drama, and filmed very much in the subtle, understated style of Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Grand Budapest Hotel). A young New Zealander is charged by his Gramma to watch his younger siblings for a week while she attends a funeral in Wellington. His long absent father shows up, and hilarity ensues as he makes an awkward albeit heartfelt attempt to reconnect with his Michael Jackson-loving son. 👍👍

Edited by LonelyHiker

Oh, and "The Witch" was anti climactic, not anti climatic, i.e., generally opposed to climate, ha. 

Please extend "editing" time to one hour for members 70 or older--or two if it's already one.

Bulgakov

"Train to Busan," 2016, horror along with everything else.  I have to say, one of a kind, though not so much for excellence as perseverance.  Advancing through and from one cliche after another, each painfully familiar instance of plot or character is pushed to the limit, then shaken until there's nothing left to shake.  It's relentless, and somehow it keeps working.  Just when you think it's over again, it releases sequences on a scale not seen since "World War Z."  Making it to the end leaves you feeling like you've just been through the pillow fight of your life. 

Bulgakov

Edited by Bulgakov

20 hours ago, Bulgakov said:

Oh, and "The Witch" was anti climactic, not anti climatic, i.e., generally opposed to climate, ha. 

Please extend "editing" time to one hour for members 70 or older--or two if it's already one.

Bulgakov

Need to check this one out. I've always loved movies about ghosts/the occult/supernatural, which is kind of funny since I don't believe in the existence of anything supernatural lol..

Dante: You hate people!

Randall: But I love gatherings! Isn't it ironic?

Almost Christmas.

I am on my Netflix Christmas cheese quest and this got recommended and boy, it did not disappoint.

Looking for anything that'll give you a laugh, go for this one!

Any movie that has me laughing every 10 minutes or so or choke on my drink, gets the thumbs up from me!

The Salesman - Winner of the 2016 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, it follows the story of a young Iranian couple whose lives are forever altered when they move to a new apartment, and encounter violent fallout courtesy of the previous tenant.

Brilliant movie in every respect. 

Next in the queue: The Founder, starring Michael Keaton. A biopic detailing the controversial rise of Ray Kroc, the man who changed fast food forever.

Edited by LonelyHiker

On 12/14/2018 at 9:28 PM, hocico said:

Mechanic resurrection - I am tired so I need a dumb action movie to watch before bed. 

This sounds like I need to watch it!

21 hours ago, hocico said:

I was tired so I was probably a tad unfair to it tbh 😊 

I love movies that don't require my brain to switch on 😂

1 hour ago, Tux said:

I love movies that don't require my brain to switch on 😂

I watch rather a lot of those 😊.. case in point I am watching Sniper ghost shooter as I am typing this.. 😂 

"What We Do in the Shadows" From New Zealand, 2114, funniest horror since Shaun of the Dead.

A small firm crew follows a trio of vampires who share a "flat" on their day to day, century to century.  Always played straight, it's an ongoing satire of the genre, and very unlike the teen comedy/horror types.  It's got imagination.  On household chores:  "It's your turn, and you haven't done the dishes in five years!"  A  band of roving werewolves confronts them on the street--in human form.  One of the would-be wolves gets riled up, begins to transform.  People from both camps urge him to chill, and the aborted change looks and sounds more than anything like he's trying to trying to spit something out that's been stuck between his teeth.  It's evenly paced, never breaks the mood, and is hilarious. 

I think you can try Google Play, or Amazon.  Google Play has it for rent for 2.99.

Edited by Bulgakov

37 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

"What We Do in the Shadows" From New Zealand, 2114, funniest horror since Shaun of the Dead.

A small firm crew follows a trio of vampires who share a "flat" on their day to day, century to century.  Always played straight, it's an ongoing satire of the genre, and very unlike the teen comedy/horror types.  It's got imagination.  On household chores:  "It's your turn, and you haven't done the dishes in five years!"  A  band of roving werewolves confronts them on the street--in human form.  One of the would-be wolves gets riled up, begins to transform.  People from both camps urge him to chill, and the aborted change looks and sounds more than anything like he's trying to trying to spit something out that's been stuck between his teeth.  It's evenly paced, never breaks the mood, and is hilarious. 

I think you can try Google Play, or Amazon.  Google Play has it for rent for 2.99.

Saw this last year, and yes it is a riot! Very much like This Is Spinal Tap..

This film was made by the same guy who directed and starred in Boy, which I posted about earlier in this thread.

Christmas Chronicles

It's like when I was little and watched that movie with Dudley Moore, except this one has 2018 CGI. It is all the emotions!  So much yes for this movie!

Edited by Tux