Creativity and Depression

Pintor

I'm curious if you find your depression inspires you to create more or makes you overthink and not produce.  Unfortunately, I'm in the latter category.  I find the process of starting something overwhelming and continue to be distracted from finishing pieces as well.  Sometimes I wish depression would give me inspiration to use art as an outlet as opposed to feeling more helpless that I can't produce. 

46 minutes ago, APFSDS said:

As depression gets worse I find it increasingly harder to draw stuff.
Haven't drawn anything serious for years.

How about draw what depression feels like and compare it to Happiness of some sort.  I’m trying to say make your depression work for you and not against you 

There is an old saw that goes, an artist has to suffer for their work.  I think depression and suffering overlap sometimes, sometimes not.  Suffering always related to identifiable causes, depression not.  I work at it almost every day, but my depression is at low ebb right now.  Great artists, I think, may indeed be able to turn depression to their own purpose.  Most, like me, are not great artists.

best of luck to you, create when you can.

Bulgakov

5 hours ago, Pintor said:

I find the process of starting something overwhelming and continue to be distracted from finishing pieces as well.  Sometimes I wish depression would give me inspiration to use art as an outlet as opposed to feeling more helpless that I can't produce.

This is so true for me. I can so relate.