Jump to content
Bryan139

New to Wellbutrin

Recommended Posts

I was on Zoloft for about 2 or 3 years, I was on 200mg for the past year. I was put on it mainly for anxiety, I was also taking 0.25mg for Klonopin at night. Around August I figured I could get off Zoloft since I've been feeling ok and my anxiety was being controlled by the Klonopin, I began to wean myself off and lowered my dose to 150mg for 2 weeks then 100mg for another 2 weeks, I did this between psych visits. When I saw my psych I let him know and he prescribed me a lower dose to make weaning myself off easier. I took 50 mg for about 2 weeks then figured I was good to get off completely. I felt no side effects for a good few weeks, then about a month later I began to feel really bad depression and anxiety. When I saw my psych he told me we could either put me back on Zoloft or another antidepressant. I asked him if we could try Wellbutrin because I could use the extra energy, and I wanted to see if it could help with my ADD.

My first week was ok, felt extra thirsty, and strangely I felt mildly euphoric around night time. The second week rolled around and I noticed I would have anxiety when I would wake up, I would take a Klonopin which would help, then again around 6 pm I would feel calm and slight euphoria. It's weird because it actually helped with my insomnia and I was able to sleep a couple of days without taking Ambien. Towards the end of my second week, I noticed more anxiety and no more euphoria. I'm now starting my third week (it'll be my 3rd full week this Friday) and I've been feeling really crappy, I realized today that I had been eating very little and not drinking enough water which probably contributed to the "crappy feeling", I had a big breakfast and immediately had increased anxiety (is this normal?). After a few hours and doing some calisthenics (trying to exercise away my anxiety) I began to feel a bit better. It is now around 9 pm and I took a Klonopin about an hour ago, I'm still feeling slightly anxious, and a bit cloudy headed. I've been wondering if I should stop taking the Wellbutrin and go back to Zoloft, but I've read a lot of posts saying this is pretty typical and it should be around weeks 4 - 6 that I should start to feel better and my body should adjust to it. What doesn't help too I guess is that I've been focused on the 4 - 6 week mark that it's making time seem to pass by so slowly and if I focus on it too much I give myself anxiety.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm on generic Wellbutrin XL 150mg. 

Oh and another thing I've noticed throughout all 3 weeks is I either feel really hot or cold.  Is this a normal side effect? Will this go away?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bryan139 said:

I was on Zoloft for about 2 or 3 years, I was on 200mg for the past year. I was put on it mainly for anxiety, I was also taking 0.25mg for Klonopin at night. Around August I figured I could get off Zoloft since I've been feeling ok and my anxiety was being controlled by the Klonopin, I began to wean myself off and lowered my dose to 150mg for 2 weeks then 100mg for another 2 weeks, I did this between psych visits. When I saw my psych I let him know and he prescribed me a lower dose to make weaning myself off easier. I took 50 mg for about 2 weeks then figured I was good to get off completely. I felt no side effects for a good few weeks, then about a month later I began to feel really bad depression and anxiety. When I saw my psych he told me we could either put me back on Zoloft or another antidepressant. I asked him if we could try Wellbutrin because I could use the extra energy, and I wanted to see if it could help with my ADD.

My first week was ok, felt extra thirsty, and strangely I felt mildly euphoric around night time. The second week rolled around and I noticed I would have anxiety when I would wake up, I would take a Klonopin which would help, then again around 6 pm I would feel calm and slight euphoria. It's weird because it actually helped with my insomnia and I was able to sleep a couple of days without taking Ambien. Towards the end of my second week, I noticed more anxiety and no more euphoria. I'm now starting my third week (it'll be my 3rd full week this Friday) and I've been feeling really crappy, I realized today that I had been eating very little and not drinking enough water which probably contributed to the "crappy feeling", I had a big breakfast and immediately had increased anxiety (is this normal?). After a few hours and doing some calisthenics (trying to exercise away my anxiety) I began to feel a bit better. It is now around 9 pm and I took a Klonopin about an hour ago, I'm still feeling slightly anxious, and a bit cloudy headed. I've been wondering if I should stop taking the Wellbutrin and go back to Zoloft, but I've read a lot of posts saying this is pretty typical and it should be around weeks 4 - 6 that I should start to feel better and my body should adjust to it. What doesn't help too I guess is that I've been focused on the 4 - 6 week mark that it's making time seem to pass by so slowly and if I focus on it too much I give myself anxiety.

Oh, I forgot to mention I'm on generic Wellbutrin XL 150mg. 

Oh and another thing I've noticed throughout all 3 weeks is I either feel really hot or cold.  Is this a normal side effect? Will this go away?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hang in there my friend and try to give it a couple more weeks and see how you feel and if you still feel the same way than you might want to see if you can get it change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bryan139 said:

Thank you for your replies! I will hang in there, I'm really hoping it works for me like it has for many others🙂

I’m with you and best of luck my friend as you also learn new ways of coping with depression and anxiety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got put on Wellbutrin in combo with Citalopram. It supposedly was to give me a bit more energy because the citalopram made me sluggish. It seems to have done the trick. I don't remember much in the way of start up effects from wellbutrin to be honest...But wow, if I go more than a day without it, there's hell to pay (irritability, mainly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't comment on the wellbutrin myself but I know someone who is currently on it, I think its been about 3 months now and she said it's working well for her anxiety and panic attacks don't really think she had much depression. I hope that you find soon that it's working well for you also and feel better 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Brian!

 I’ve also been  taking generic Wellbutrin XL 150, since October 2. This is my first experience taking antidepressants, so I don’t have the depth and breadth of experience that some others might have. However, I can tell you what my experience has been. 

For the first week, I felt a little strange and spaced-out, especially for the first 5 or 6 hours after my dose. Later in the afternoon I felt a little better, but still kind of out of it. 

By the second week, the spaced-out feeling subsided, but I still didn’t feel great. I could tell I was a little more energetic than before, in the sense that I would get up off the couch and actually do household chores, but other than that, I didn’t feel too good. I remember that on approximately day 12, I went to a movie with girlfriends, but fidgeted and looked at my watch the whole time, wanting to leave and go back home.

By the end of the third week, I started seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. For the first time since my depression set in, I actually started believing I was going to get better. By the time I had been taking it for 4 weeks, I was feeling pretty much like my old self again (hallelujah!). 

Now that it has been a little over two months, I am doing everything I was doing before and truly enjoying my life. It should be noted that I am retired, so I had the luxury of not being obligated to go to work or get out and do things I didn’t want to do (which was pretty much everything) while I was getting accustomed to the medication. 

I realize I was pretty lucky to start feeling good so early in the process. However, I was prepared to hang in there a few more weeks, so long as I didn’t feel absolutely miserable. Regarding side effects, I haven’t experienced the hot/cold thing. I was a little constipated early on, and still have to be careful to drink enough water. Also, my insomnia seems a little worse, but I’ve always been prone to spells of insomnia, so I’m not certain that it’s related to the Wellbutrin.

 I wish you luck and hope you are soon as happy as I am with this great medication. Let us know how it goes!

ChopinLover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, it's good to know it works on some people's anxiety and panic attacks, I hope it works for me too!

On 12/6/2018 at 3:06 PM, Grounded said:

I can't comment on the wellbutrin myself but I know someone who is currently on it, I think its been about 3 months now and she said it's working well for her anxiety and panic attacks don't really think she had much depression. I hope that you find soon that it's working well for you also and feel better 🙂 

2

 

Edited by Bryan139
forgot to quote the person i was replying to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your reply! Your experience sounds exactly like what I'm going through! Today I hit the end of my 4th week, I hope I start feeling better next week! 

23 hours ago, ChopinLover said:

Hi Brian!

 I’ve also been  taking generic Wellbutrin XL 150, since October 2. This is my first experience taking antidepressants, so I don’t have the depth and breadth of experience that some others might have. However, I can tell you what my experience has been. 

For the first week, I felt a little strange and spaced-out, especially for the first 5 or 6 hours after my dose. Later in the afternoon I felt a little better, but still kind of out of it. 

By the second week, the spaced-out feeling subsided, but I still didn’t feel great. I could tell I was a little more energetic than before, in the sense that I would get up off the couch and actually do household chores, but other than that, I didn’t feel too good. I remember that on approximately day 12, I went to a movie with girlfriends, but fidgeted and looked at my watch the whole time, wanting to leave and go back home.

By the end of the third week, I started seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. For the first time since my depression set in, I actually started believing I was going to get better. By the time I had been taking it for 4 weeks, I was feeling pretty much like my old self again (hallelujah!). 

Now that it has been a little over two months, I am doing everything I was doing before and truly enjoying my life. It should be noted that I am retired, so I had the luxury of not being obligated to go to work or get out and do things I didn’t want to do (which was pretty much everything) while I was getting accustomed to the medication. 

I realize I was pretty lucky to start feeling good so early in the process. However, I was prepared to hang in there a few more weeks, so long as I didn’t feel absolutely miserable. Regarding side effects, I haven’t experienced the hot/cold thing. I was a little constipated early on, and still have to be careful to drink enough water. Also, my insomnia seems a little worse, but I’ve always been prone to spells of insomnia, so I’m not certain that it’s related to the Wellbutrin.

 I wish you luck and hope you are soon as happy as I am with this great medication. Let us know how it goes!

ChopinLover

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×