arboria's "What Are You Reading?" Thread, Part Two

• 2 weeks later...

Affliction by Russell Banks

This book is very very heavy on describing the geographic location of mountains and rivers and valleys and trailers parks and where they're all located in relation to each other and as a person who has never had any sense of direction it drives me insane. 

Edited by SqueezeWax

• 3 weeks later...

A Harlot High And Low by Honore Balzac.

Every once in a while I will read a 19th-to-early 20th century classic piece of literature to compensate for the Stephen King and Agatha Christie and sex drugs and rock and roll biographies I typically read. I don't think this is supposed to be one of his better books. I thought of reading something from him partly because Bette Davis named herself after Cousin Bette. 

Eagles in the Dust The Roman Defeat at Adrianopolis AD 378

Not sure why but I normally hate reading books about battles where the Romans lose :laugh: but ignoring my bias I am rather enjoying this one. 

She's A Rainbow, The Extraordinary Life of Anita Pallenberg

So Far, OK... but I'm only at the beginning chapter about the "swinging 60's" ... it appears the author did some research to start this biography... I hope the rest isn't a cut and paste job...:book:

• 1 month later...

This is a really interesting article and letter posted on Time magazine's site, particularly if you're into history: 'It Is Pretty Bad Down Here at Present.' What We Can Learn From a Letter Written Just After the Height of the 1918 Flu Pandemic BY ANNA PURNA KAMBHAMPATY APRIL 3, 2020.