Sign in to follow this  
Markovcred

Coming off remeron; natural meds for sleep

I am coming off of remeron after being on it for 10 weeks.  I started taking it to help with insomnia with I’ve had for years. 

I am now down to 7.5mg at night which I have been taking with Benadryl and melatonin. I have been looking into natural and legal insomnia treatments like CBN(cannabis based but no THC) but they are very expensive.

My question to the forum is how can I normalize my sleep naturally without any meds with crazy side effects? Is it really as simple as proper sleep hygiene? Without fail, if I don’t have a sleep med, I spend at least one night per week sleeping close to 0 or 1 hours at night. I’ve gotten sleep studies and no signs of apnea. How do I conquer my sleep issues ?!

27 minutes ago, Markovcred said:

I am coming off of remeron after being on it for 10 weeks.  I started taking it to help with insomnia with I’ve had for years. 

I am now down to 7.5mg at night which I have been taking with Benadryl and melatonin. I have been looking into natural and legal insomnia treatments like CBN(cannabis based but no THC) but they are very expensive.

My question to the forum is how can I normalize my sleep naturally without any meds with crazy side effects? Is it really as simple as proper sleep hygiene? Without fail, if I don’t have a sleep med, I spend at least one night per week sleeping close to 0 or 1 hours at night. I’ve gotten sleep studies and no signs of apnea. How do I conquer my sleep issues ?!

Try to wear your self out doing things around the house before bed and don’t eat a couple hours before bed.  This will help you to get a decent sleep hopefully.  Best of luck my friend 

Hi, not sure if this actually works but its part of my sleep routine (also using remeron and melatonin), Bach's rescue remedy for sleep. its very hippy flowery but I find it helps enough in not extreme situations.

I also really want to try cbd but you are right its suuuuper pricey.

@Floor2017 thank you for the reply! I have not been able to come off remeron as easily as I would like. Prescribing psych wants me to stay on until school is over (work full time and full time school until january 31). 

In terms of staying busy, I have way too much on my plate and I usually try to unwind myself...the jacuzzi has helped. I am quite anxious about coming off of this though.

@clumpen thank you for the recommendation I will look this up. If ever need to chat offline, let me know.

best,

mc 

I have come off Remeron with Effexor recently, which was super depressing because it actually worked, but the side effects got too much. I really feel you with the sleep issue! I haven't been able to sleep without help since I came off three months ago. Thankfully, I discovered that antihistamines work (the drowsy kind), even at a very low dose. However, I am supposed to use antihistamines a fair bit anyway because I have inflammation and autoimmune problems, so that might not be the best for you. Maybe ask your doctor about it or shop around for information? I use something called Phenergan (brand name). I would try CBN if I could, but I, too, cannot access it.

All the best! Let us know how you're doing. It's hard, but I reckon eventually we'll get our sleep patterns back to normal.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:50 AM, clumpen said:

Hi, not sure if this actually works but its part of my sleep routine (also using remeron and melatonin), Bach's rescue remedy for sleep. its very hippy flowery but I find it helps enough in not extreme situations.

I also really want to try cbd but you are right its suuuuper pricey.

Bach's Rescue Remedy is definitely worth a try for people whose price range is right, (although it's not ever so expensive), but I would agree it's a light aid only, and I don't think it works for everyone. I find it helps with anxiety sometimes when I want to avoid taking anxiety meds and my breathing exercises don't work, but that could also be because it's partly made with brandy and I'm sensitive to alcohol. However, I'm glad it works for you!

Well, here I am December 31st and still havent come off Remeron. In fact, I am back on 15mg and my prescribing doc wants me to try wellbutrin since my depression has gotten worse; i.e. taking both wellbutrin with remeron. In a bit of a pickle; hopeful to get off all meds at some point. I took wellbutrin the first two days (saturday and sunday) and just feel anxious and emotionless.

hey @Markovcred , oof ya coming off these things is kinda brutal and I'm sorry it sounds rough right now. I think we are kind of on a similar timeline with quitting. I'm stalled out at 7.5 and scared to go below because I am trying to finish my masters thesis which is due in a few months and when I go any lower my brain does not like it! I think I might just hang out here at 7.5 until I graduate and just live with the weight gain. Its probably not the ideal time to be quitting but I was just so anxious to get off them.

Anyways all that to say I'm rooting for you over here and hope you get some relief from the depression in whatever way works best for you.

Also: I started taking GABA to ease my anxiety and insomnia and I'm not sure if its working or not! Its also quite pricey.

I'd just wait it out until the end of January. Adjusting meds can be rough but even more so when you have a lot of responsibilities. Doctors always seem to forget that very few of us have the luxury to put our lives on hold until meds work properly. Wellbutrin seems to be one of those drugs that works wonders for some and in others it makes life hell, if it's giving you a lot of anxiety please do be careful and report this to your doctor immediately. 

On 1/1/2019 at 5:25 AM, Markovcred said:

Well, here I am December 31st and still havent come off Remeron. In fact, I am back on 15mg and my prescribing doc wants me to try wellbutrin since my depression has gotten worse; i.e. taking both wellbutrin with remeron. In a bit of a pickle; hopeful to get off all meds at some point. I took wellbutrin the first two days (saturday and sunday) and just feel anxious and emotionless.

If Wellbutrin is making you feel sick, it might be best for you not to take it. If I feel anxious AND emotionless on a new drug, it means that it is most likely not going to work, and is most likely going to make me sick in the long run. That's not true for everybody, of course, but please be careful. :hugs: