Sign in to follow this  
Patrscoe

13 yr old daughter - depression; need advice

I just join and seeking some advice.

Our daughter has been suffering from anxiety for about 2 years and lately it has gotten worse. About 8 days ago, she broke the news to us that she is and has been depressed for some time now, feels empty inside and does not want to be here anymore. This news was of course devastating and hard to comprehend. She currently is seeing a therapist for her anxiety so we immediately set up a appointing with her and our family physician. They prescribed 25m Zoloft and indicated that if she does not feel better by 7 days, give her 50m. Since she reached out to us 8 days ago, she has been about as down and well, depress as I ever see her. We are keeping her busy and active and at times during the day she seems good but then she just does not seem herself. 

A few days ago, she indicated that it is getting worse so we called the doctor and he indicated to go ahead and increase the Zoloft prescription to 50m, which we did today, Thurs (Thanksgiving day).  Tonight, she told us that she is really struggling to keep above water. We need to get her help as this is well beyond us. We did had a plan to increase the therapist appointments to twice a week, manage the Zoloft med, she has a schedule to see a psychiatrist but the earliest was Dec 7th but with this recent conversation with our daughter, we feel that she needs help sooner than later.

I have been researching into treatment centers in Virginia and throughout the country, seeking the best treatment center for teenagers and specializing in depression. I am concern with the local hospitals and mental health treatment centers as I want the best fit for our daughter that specialize in depression instead of strictly medicine base treatment and then therapy treatment, or most of the treatment centers state that they treat everything and everyone. I want to help our daughter as best as we can at whatever it takes. I have spent hours and hours reviewing private treatment centers throughout the country, some great reviews and some like a horror movie, I just don't know what would be the right treatment center or should I just take her to the local mental health hospital department, which has so so reviews. I reviewed treatment centers like Center for Recovery in Virgina, Newport Academy, Adolescent Growth, local VTCC, and so on... treatments from inpatient, intensive outpatient, PHP,.... even having my wife and daughter to travel to a treatment center, attend a PHP and stay there in whatever city the best treatment center is located... just don't know the right direction.

Seeking advise from parents that have been down this road.

Thanks

Patrick

8 minutes ago, Patrscoe said:

I just join and seeking some advice.

Our daughter has been suffering from anxiety for about 2 years and lately it has gotten worse. About 8 days ago, she broke the news to us that she is and has been depressed for some time now, feels empty inside and does not want to be here anymore. This news was of course devastating and hard to comprehend. She currently is seeing a therapist for her anxiety so we immediately set up a appointing with her and our family physician. They prescribed 25m Zoloft and indicated that if she does not feel better by 7 days, give her 50m. Since she reached out to us 8 days ago, she has been about as down and well, depress as I ever see her. We are keeping her busy and active and at times during the day she seems good but then she just does not seem herself. 

A few days ago, she indicated that it is getting worse so we called the doctor and he indicated to go ahead and increase the Zoloft prescription to 50m, which we did today, Thurs (Thanksgiving day).  Tonight, she told us that she is really struggling to keep above water. We need to get her help as this is well beyond us. We did had a plan to increase the therapist appointments to twice a week, manage the Zoloft med, she has a schedule to see a psychiatrist but the earliest was Dec 7th but with this recent conversation with our daughter, we feel that she needs help sooner than later.

I have been researching into treatment centers in Virginia and throughout the country, seeking the best treatment center for teenagers and specializing in depression. I am concern with the local hospitals and mental health treatment centers as I want the best fit for our daughter that specialize in depression instead of strictly medicine base treatment and then therapy treatment, or most of the treatment centers state that they treat everything and everyone. I want to help our daughter as best as we can at whatever it takes. I have spent hours and hours reviewing private treatment centers throughout the country, some great reviews and some like a horror movie, I just don't know what would be the right treatment center or should I just take her to the local mental health hospital department, which has so so reviews. I reviewed treatment centers like Center for Recovery in Virgina, Newport Academy, Adolescent Growth, local VTCC, and so on... treatments from inpatient, intensive outpatient, PHP,.... even having my wife and daughter to travel to a treatment center, attend a PHP and stay there in whatever city the best treatment center is located... just don't know the right direction.

Seeking advise from parents that have been down this road.

Thanks

Patrick

Well, I had to take my adoptive daughter to a in house mental health facility for teenagers and I’m not sure if any of them actually help her.  Make sure whichever one you choose is a good facility for children and have a good success record for teens recovering from mental health.  May God be with you and your family my friend and may her health continue to improve.

Welcome to Depression Forums,  @Patrscoe,

My first words of advice to you and your wife is that if you can afford it and you have good insurance, please, please take your daughter to the very best mental health private facility or hospital or whatever you can find to stay so they can properly diagnose her completely.  She needs the very best therapy and medical treatment and it will take some time.  It is worth the time.  She will have a much better, healthier chance of recovery and a so much brighter future ahead!  I would say though that she might be on some type of medication and some therapy, (outpatient of course), for most of her life.  But so many children do grow up to lead really good, productive, really wonderful adult lives with  proper care if diagnosed early!   

I am telling you this as I am going through something with my daughter and granddaughter.  Only my granddaughter is now well over 18.  Her Mental Health problems started right when she had just turned 17.  Maybe even before.  If her parents had better Ins., had taken her to a good inpatient facility from the start, perhaps she might have been better by now.  But she is not.

Of course she is older, and no longer considered a child, but an adult and I have seen what she has gone through and is still going through.  At this stage, with the lack of care and lack of good Mental Health coverage in FL for someone my granddaughters age, I seem to have so little hope for her. My heart breaks.  I am still hoping that we will find somewhere that will be affordable for her and be able to take her in so she will finally receive the help that she needs.  

Please make the right choices.  I wish you all the best with your little girl. 

:icon12:

~Lindsay, Forum Administrator, Founder

I am so sorry your daughter is struggling.  It is good that she opened up to you.  My daughter struggled with depression for awhile when she was in 8th grade.  She actually was to a point of cutting.  My husband and I didn't find out for a while. It took a friend of hers to share with the school counselor for us to f ind out.

My daughter did need to be hospitalized for about a week so she would be safe.  We were overseas so it wasn't the best mental hospital facility.  What we found is you need to find the right therapist that your daughter can relate and feel comfortable sharing with.  It also takes time to find the right medication and dosage.  Zoloft is not always the solution for everyone who struggles with  depression.  For us Wellbutrin works best.  Also, each time the dosage changes, it make take several days to see a difference.  You and your wife are doing a great job showing your daughter how much you love her, are there for her, care, and seeking the best help she needs.

I will be praying that you find the best facility for your daughter and that she gets the treatment she needs to feel better.  My thoughts and prayers will continue to be with you.  Please keep in touch and let us know how your daughter is doing.

Hugs to you my friend.  My heart goes out to you.

Thanks everyone. 

We thought things were getting better, seeing her smile and laugh but this past weekend, we decided that it is not really getting better but worse, and she needs immediate help and my daughter was actually asking for help, no matter what it is. Although she states that she has no will to go on, asking for help tells me that she has hope. We admitted her to a local inpatient program and although it is not exactly what we are looking for, it is a step moving forward. I have found that these type of programs don't really provide the intensive therapy we were seeking but provides a full assessment of her condition, review of medication and modifications, some therapy (group, family and individual) and so on. It's difficult not seeing your daughter as much as you want and some days are harder than others and we are just waiting to wake up from this horrible dream.

It appears that the plan after inpatient is weekly therapy, once or twice a week. That is not what we are going to do. After inpatient, we are researching a PHP / Day program near us or out of state, so that there is very little down time between her leaving inpatient to something else. We our setting up a day school program with her school so that she can continue with her school year after she is complete with the PHP and we will be seeking a intensive outpatient program after she finishes the PHP. At first, I kept thinking at night; why didn't we see this? If we did, we would have done so many things different and could have caught this much earlier.... so many things that goes through your head but in perspective, we don't get a second change, do we. So we need to make plans moving forward and figure out what is best for our daughter for today and the future, while keeping her safe as best as we can. 

That's our plan, I just hope we are not too late.

Patrick 

Sorry to hear about your daughter.Depression is a real medical disorder, like anorexia, epilepsy, and autism. It is strongly recommended that people who suffer from depression for long periods of time get professional help.For your daughter you have to focused on the effects of dance/movement therapy on her with depression.However, the results have pointed in a positive direction.

It looks like you have a good plan.  I will be praying for your daughter and your family.  You are doing a great job showing your daughter how much you care and are there for her.  With the right help, she will find ways to cope and learn how to avoid falling into deep depression.  Do they provide recreational therapy as an inpatient? My daughter had that and she was able to be creative.  That helped her not be so much in her thoughts.  Please continue sharing, we are here to support you too.  What you are going through with a severely depressed child is very hard.  You need support for yourself and your spouse. We are here for you.  Lots of Hugs!