Sign in to follow this  
Annabatts

Starting on mirtazapine

Hi all,

I started on mirtazapine on Thursday night (15mg). Friday and Saturday I was practically dead; I was in a coma nearly; I couldn’t move or do anything because I was so out of it. 

Yesterday (Sunday) I felt a lot more energised.

I’m really worried because I’m so out of it in the mornings, I turn alarms off and don’t even remember doing it! But tomorrow I have to be up early to travel home to see my family! Any one got any advice on how to prevent feeling so drowsy in the mornings? 

Thanks

Hi 

Not a whole lot you can do about the morning grogginess. I found that getting everything ready for your day the night before helped to make mornings easier.. Lots of Coffee. The morning grogginess and daytime lethargy goes away in about a month once your body adapts to the med. The first couple weeks are the toughest but it gets better. I had incredible dreams when I started the med do you have this side effect. I really enjoyed the dreams . going to bed was like getting ready to go to a drive in theatre. lol and food tasted way better. Good luck I hope you get benefits with it.

My morning grogginess hasn’t dissipated after 10 weeks but I naturally sleep in anyways—remeron just exploited my preexisting defectual habit. 

Morning grogginess can likely be aided by dosing back a half hour or so or an alarm that lights up the room. I am not a medical professional so I would suggest chatting with your prescriber/doctor. 

Have you tried multiple alarms? With some of them away from the bed? Once you're moving, it's easier to keep moving.

I know how the first pill knocks you out. I couldn't believe the sedation initially, and I've tried antipsychotics! However, the good news is the higher the dose, the less sedation for many people, (which is one of the weird quirks of the stuff), so I think you'll eventually beat the drowsiness.