20YearsandCounting

TA's "What's On Your Mind Right Now?" Thread, Part 2

Just trying to make up my mind if I want to go and see the show tonight or not, I have a ticket so it seems a waste not to go but it outside in a covered auditorium so it might be cold and it's a fair distance away so I will have to drive there and back.

3 hours ago, evalynn said:

I used to horde chocolate bars for this reason. I'd save them for a "rainy day." I even used to go by myself at 10 or 11 at night when I was in college just to buy chocolate. Sometimes you just need it. 🤷🏽‍♀️

I used to have a whole dresser drawer full of snacks and then one drawer became two drawers.  Right now I'm trying not to have it in the house.  The summer months aren't too hard to do this but from October on they will be back.  As the days get darker so do my moods.

3 hours ago, sober4life said:

When I'm in a group of people I sit silently for hours and then all of the sudden I have the overwhelming urge to jump up and scream Darkwing Duck!  I suppose I'm the only one who does this.

Nope. You definitely are not the only one! On occasion I have done that too.. Not “Darkwing Duck”, but something to the effect... 

I mean..people take themselves sooo seriously (I do too, make no mistake) and sometimes one has to spice things up a bit. 

Most times it isn’t worth the bother though. That’s when I don’t contact anyone,  read 10 books and don’t speak to anyone for weeks. Bliss.

55 minutes ago, samadhiSheol said:

Nope. You definitely are not the only one! On occasion I have done that too.. Not “Darkwing Duck”, but something to the effect... 

I mean..people take themselves sooo seriously (I do too, make no mistake) and sometimes one has to spice things up a bit. 

Most times it isn’t worth the bother though. That’s when I don’t contact anyone,  read 10 books and don’t speak to anyone for weeks. Bliss.

Yes there are two sides to me for sure.  Sometimes I don't want to see anyone again and I hide away.  The next day I might talk to everyone I know all in one day because I'm so manic.  I don't know there's a part of me that doesn't want to be noticed at all in a room and then sometimes the Chris Farley in me comes out and I could make thousands of people take notice of me.  Somehow the shy wallflower and the person that would go streaking across the field at a nationally televised baseball game exist in the same brain.

I'm trying to decide if I should take a speech class with a professor who five people have reviewed as being extremely boring, but an easy grader who doesn't require you to do much, or another who has only been rated by one person and is described as being 'warm, personable, and non-judgemental'.

I would be thrilled with a boring, undemanding rather than nerve-racking speech class. On the other hand, a 'warm, personable, and non-judgemental' instructor would be ideal, but that is only one persons opinion. 

Posted (edited)

I've been thinking about one particular episode of the animated comedy series Futurama.  It's titled "Jurassic Bark".  It's highly acclaimed and is considered one of the best, if not the best episode of the series.  I simply cannot think of this episode without crying...it's the saddest thing I've ever seen.  It deals with the main character Fry's long past friendship with his pet dog Seymour (not a talking dog or anything like that, just a regular dog).  Basically the series is about a young man named Fry who on New Year's Eve 1999 falls into a cryogenic chamber and awakens in a futuristic world 1,000 years later.  There's all kinds of alien races and new technology, funny adventures, etc.  I'm not good at summarizing things but that's the gist of the series.  I'll do the best I can to describe the plot of this episode but please bear with me as my concentration level is lacking these days.  There are better plot summaries online of course, if you're interested.        

Anyway, in this episode Fry finds the old fossilized remains of his dog Seymour.  We see flashbacks to how they met and the good times they had together.  We also find out that Fry told Seymour to wait for him outside the pizzeria (Fry was a pizza delivery boy) while delivering a pizza to the building where the cryogenic chambers are (he then falls in and is frozen for a 1,000 years).  

All the memories coming back, Fry longs to be with his dog again and one of Fry's friends, the professor, says that they can clone Seymour from DNA taken from the remains.  Ultimately though no clone is ever made, as Fry becomes convinced that his dog Seymour likely moved on and forgot about him long ago anyway (Seymour had lived for another 12 years after Fry's disappearance).  But then as the episode ends we the audience see what really happened to Seymour after Fry disappears.  While the song "I Will Wait for You" plays, we see Seymour outside the pizzeria waiting hopefully for his human friend to return as the seasons change, and the years go by.  Finally, old and tired, he lays his head down and closes his eyes.  

Gut wrenching.  I'm crying again.  Who would think that an animated comedy could pull the heartstrings like that.  You can see the ending scene on Youtube by typing "Futurama Jurassic Bark ending".  And if you ever watch the full episode, make sure you have your dog or cat close by...you're gonna want to give him/her a hug.             

Edited by AloneGuy

On 8/1/2019 at 11:39 PM, AloneGuy said:

It's weird but I've become almost obsessive over correcting my own grammar lately.  Not just when I'm posting online but also in my day to day speech.  It just seems like I misspell words, mispronounce words, and use the wrong words more often these days.  Kind of a strange thing for me to obsess over, since I really don't care that much (or maybe I do?).  (ha, I'll probably end up editing this post).  

I've also been thinking about time.  How each day seems to drag on forever, yet it's already August.  Seems like summer just began last week, but really it'll be fall before long.  And to me high school wasn't that long ago...but really it's been 25 years.  Time perception is really strange when you think about it.           

Ask any enlightened race track fan

If time is time, or just space extended

And he'll tell you like his life depended

"Just wait, wait, wait for the photo finish . . ."

From an old UTube:  a weather beaten guy behind the wheel of a weather beaten truck, on a dirt road, driving slowly.  "This," he announces, looking into the selfie cam he's mounted on the rider's seat, "is my time machine.  "Behind me," he gestures toward the rectangular rear window, "is the past."  "In here," waving an arm around indicating the interior of the cockpit, "is the present; and out there," with a flourish toward the front windshield and beyond, "is the future."

Sad that I must continue doing a job that I have little passion about and must force myself to be interested in.  I know that people would do unethical things to be in my position.  I imagine all the ****ers that I think are unworthy of it gaining my position and I fight to keep it. 

Slowly trying to take steps to make myself more secure in it.  Branching out will not be the easiest thing I have done but will be worth it.  I am not sure how to stay motivated.  I am sure that I will fight smart to stay on the positive path that I am on.

I hate that I get so down and unmotivated.  At least I am not like one of those sorry excuses for a homo sapiens that does not work when they physically and mentally can.  I think of all of the ****ers who would love to see me fail and be like one of the homeless people that live near one of my worksites. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 4:24 PM, sober4life said:

I'm trying to clear a clog in my sink.  What I'm using ate the fingers off my work gloves and ruined 3 of my towels.  It changed them colors but that stuff can't eat through the clog!  What a joke!

Hi Sober,

Open the doors and look under the sink.  The main drain line comes out of the drain in the sink, then goes straight down a bit, then does a u-turn.  That  u-turn segment is your "P" trap.  No tools required, loosen the two large plastic nuts holding the P trap in place--may need a kitchen towel to get a grip, but the plastic nuts are big and unscrew easily once loosened.  Once past the holding threads gently wiggle the P trap down, and off--be sure to put a catch bowl beneath the P trap or you will probably spill the water/sludge caught in the P trap onto the bottom of the plumbing cabinet.   (A gentle reminder here, based on my experience.  DO NOT take the bowl containing the sludge and dirty water and thoughtlessly reach up and pour it into the drain, and watch it empty onto the base board of the plumbing cabinet.  I've done this more times than I care to admit, and it will not work!)

Take the now loose P trap outside, and using something handy and not likely to make a hole in the wall of the trap, clean out what should be the clog.  Use a water hose to blast it cleaner, push a towel through it, its short, and get it clean. 

Put it back it back in reverse order.  Hand tight will do, just make sure the two joining spots of the P trap are snug.  This will take care of most of the hard clogs caused by a dirty P trap. 

Anything traveling down and out from the bottom of the P trap, that's still clogged, will require the purchase of a cheap "snake" to twist down the exit pipe until the clog can be found and broken up.   This is not hard, but if you've never done it, you may want to google, bring up any one of a thousand vids, and watch how to push and turn the snake. 

Hope this helps,

Bulgakov the Gray

Edited by Bulgakov
editing never ends

40 minutes ago, Bulgakov said:

Hi Sober,

Open the doors and look under the sink.  The main drain line comes out of the drain in the sink, then goes straight down a bit, then does a u-turn.  That  u-turn segment is your "P" trap.  No tools required, loosen the two large plastic nuts holding the P trap in place.  Once past the holding threads gently wiggle the P trap down, and off--be sure to put a catch bowl beneath the P trap or you will probably spill the water/sludge caught in the P trap onto the bottom of the plumbing cabinet. 

Take the now loose P trap outside, and using something handy and not likely to make a hole in the wall of the trap, clean out what should be the clog.  Use a water hose to blast it cleaner, push a towel through it, its short, and get it clean. 

Put it back it back in reverse order.  Hand tight will do, just make sure the two joining spots of the P trap are snug.  This will take care of most of the hard clogs caused by a dirty P trap.  Anything traveling down and out from the bottom of the P trap, that's still clogged, will require the purchase of a cheap "snake" to twist down the exit pipe until the clog can be found and broken up. 

Hope this helps,

Bulgakov the Gray

Thank you I did do all of that.  It ended up needing to be snaked to clear the clog.  The whole process was a learning process for sure and now I have the snake so I should never need a plumber again with that tool and all the youtube videos I watched.  The only time I should need professional help with plumbing again is when the septic tank fills up and needs pumped.  There's no realistic way to do that on my own unless I want the neighbors to hate me more than they do now.

Posted (edited)

The lack of gold mines on this map, there seem to be a never ending horde of orks attacking my thick peasants as well and my guardsmen don't live up to their name they just stand there while my peasants get slaughtered going to themselves "oh well you can just build another one with some more gold" :nod:

Edited by hocico

Posted (edited)

If I set a ten minute timer to remind myself to do something, I'll just reset it because I'll still not want to get up by the time it goes off. But if I set an hour+ timer, I'll get anxious waiting for it to finally go off and disturb my peace so I'll get up early to do my chore. Lesson? Play the long game.

Edited by evalynn

1 hour ago, watalife said:

Why does the Butterfinger taste so different.  Something is different taste like less sugar.  ☹

They changed the recipe this year. I think it uses more fresh peanuts. 

Just now, Epictetus said:

Hm, my socks don't match.

Hi Epic,

A couple of times I've accidentally turned one sock inside out, and of course they don't match then either.  You might want to check that.  Poltergeist with no ambition maybe.  I've also known people who wore mismatched socks to work in a subtle show of dissatisfaction with their job.  Too, unscrupulous types will switch out a sock while you are soundly sleeping on a train, then take a pic of the stolen sock, and try to sell it back to you on Ebay.  If you have a pair of older,  socks worn at the toe or heel, a quick scissor job can produce two matching socks tops from he ankle up that can be tucked into the shoes, thus matching your socks until one or both of the missing shows up, which usually happens.

Hope this helps,

Bulga

Just now, sober4life said:

Kirby's big adventure, Pee Wee's big adventure were they really big adventures?

I don't know Kirby, but Pee Wee's early big adventures were just warm ups for his later expeditions with the wily "Po Po,"  and his "Treckin' The Play House With Shoe Mirrors" series.  And you left out "Dora the Explorer" whose exploits are celebrated on the reverses of her cereal boxes across the county!  Connecting the dots into the dark unknown, one puzzle at a time. 

Bulgakov the Gray