Sign in to follow this  
maintainin

What Dosage Of Cymbalta Are You On?

What dosage of cymbalta are you on?  

400 members have voted

1. 1. What dosage of cymbalta are you on?

• 20mg
    • 30mg
    • 60mg
    • 90mg
    • 120mg

I just started Cymbalta (30 mg) last night before I went to bed. I read a lot on different boards beforehand because I had tried effexor a couple of years ago and I felt like I had a stomach virus for two full days. It was HORRIBLE. I really didn't want to have that non-stop throwing up so, I stocked up on Emetrol, Dramamine, Gatorade and the "sea bands" for nausea. I took an ativan about an hour before dinner, ate a full dinner then took the cymbalta and another ativan (they're like .5 mg). I felt a little tired, the usual for when I've taken that amount of ativan but no nausea! I slept pretty well, at least six hours straight and then another few off and on (my dogs woke me up). Today I've felt a little out of it, a little lightheaded, and tired. Nothing too bad. I'm going to take my second dose tonight at dinner and I'm hoping that I don't start to feel sick then like someone else said happened. I think I'm going to stick with my little plan for now- it worked the first time. I'm hoping that in the next few days I can take it without ativan or having the Emetrol bottle glued to my hand lol. Because I think it two weeks I have to switch to 60 mg, which I've also heard is where people started getting sick.

ThisTreeHasFallen

I never really had any upset stomach when taking cymbalta with even a small amount of food. I take it a breakfast and sometimes only eat a grapefuit and a few cashews. No problems.

I just started Cymbalta (30 mg) last night before I went to bed. I read a lot on different boards beforehand because I had tried effexor a couple of years ago and I felt like I had a stomach virus for two full days. It was HORRIBLE. I really didn't want to have that non-stop throwing up so, I stocked up on Emetrol, Dramamine, Gatorade and the "sea bands" for nausea. I took an ativan about an hour before dinner, ate a full dinner then took the cymbalta and another ativan (they're like .5 mg). I felt a little tired, the usual for when I've taken that amount of ativan but no nausea! I slept pretty well, at least six hours straight and then another few off and on (my dogs woke me up). Today I've felt a little out of it, a little lightheaded, and tired. Nothing too bad. I'm going to take my second dose tonight at dinner and I'm hoping that I don't start to feel sick then like someone else said happened. I think I'm going to stick with my little plan for now- it worked the first time. I'm hoping that in the next few days I can take it without ativan or having the Emetrol bottle glued to my hand lol. Because I think it two weeks I have to switch to 60 mg, which I've also heard is where people started getting sick.

Welcome to the DF ThisTreeHasFallen!

I'm really sorry you've had such terrible side-effects. An upset stomach can be a side-effect when starting Cymbalta, and with some people I have read where it has been bad enough to cause nausea and vomiting, but it seems like yours is quite extreme. Have you let your Dr. know how badly it's affecting your? It makes me wonder if you have a stomach virus. If it continues much longer I'd surely let your Dr. know because you don't want to get deydrated in the midst of all of this either.

Let us know how you are doing.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I'm on 30mg a day. I did go up to 60mg for three days but the side effects were crazy. After three hours after taking it I was getting a headrush as if I was on speed (amphetamines) or ecstasy (MDMA). I didn't experience any nausea but it has greatly diminished my appetite which I'm grateful for as I'm a couple of pounds overweight. The constipation is really bad though. It's been ten days altogether since I started on it so can't say whether it's having a good effect on my anxiety and depression.

I recently lowered my dose from 90 to 60. My pdoc thought it may be causing some problematic side effects. So far so good, but I am on other meds so we'll wait and see.

Wintergrace,

I do hope lowering the dosage works out for you. I had to increase my dosage on Cymbalta very slowly, but you may find that 30 mg. is good for you.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I'm on 30mg a day. I did go up to 60mg for three days but the side effects were crazy. After three hours after taking it I was getting a headrush as if I was on speed (amphetamines) or ecstasy (MDMA). I didn't experience any nausea but it has greatly diminished my appetite which I'm grateful for as I'm a couple of pounds overweight. The constipation is really bad though. It's been ten days altogether since I started on it so can't say whether it's having a good effect on my anxiety and depression.

Hi Pippin12,

Are you starting to feel better or see any improvment?

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I recently upped from 60 to 90, and so far so good. I've been fortunate in that I've not really dealt with side effects. It seems I crave sweets a bit more now, so I try to watch that, but otherwise, it's been smooth sailing.

I have just started on cymbalta at 30mgs so far it seems to really help with anxiety and depression, my pdoc wants me to go up to 60mg after 2 weeks. So far I havent had any major side effects from it.

Hi Pippin12,

Are you starting to feel better or see any improvment?

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

Hi MaddieLouise, I have been feeling a bit better thankyou. Today I'm going up to 60mg taken as two divided doses so hoping that will have a good effect on the anxiety and depression.

Fantastic! Crossing my fingers that 60mg. will help you out. Don't be suprised if you get an onset of some of the anxiety again. That can happen when upping the dosage.

Yes, my anxiety has ramped up a bit but my depression feels a lot better even though I've only been on 60mg for 3 days. It's a really effective medication I'm finding.

Uksteve

When you take 120mg of cymbalta that are the stronger side effects that you notice? I've been on cymbalta for 2 years and there are many days I feel like I need more - especially lately. I asked my Dr about getting off cymbalta because I was feeling good. Now I'm freaking out about stuff and I have yet to change my dose. ie thinking about stopping cymbalta has me stressed. Your input would be valuable to me. Regards.

Hi steve, Ive been on 120mg for 3 years now. I am also worried a little bit about the stuff but unfortunately it doesn't look like i'll ever come off the stuff in my lifetime. If you have heard of anyone going from 120mg and getting to no meds I'd like to know and hear their thoughts also.

Hi everybody this is my first post here,i've been a long time "lurker" though:)

I've been wondering if anybody has been on Cymbalta using more than 120mg daily, 150mg eg, or even heard of such? I didn't find any reference on google nor this forum.On pubmed I found that there has been no research on higher dose than 120mg.

Earlier I've been on fluoxetine 60mg, sertraline 150mg, citalopram 60mg and last time almost for a year on escitalopram 20mg, none of which have worked properly for my GAD and major depressive disorder (i'm a sometime bulimic/BED also:( ). 2 months ago I started on Cymbalta 60mg which has been significantly better on my forementioned problems, I could even go shopping or to the gym etc without any major panic attacks/thinking all the people in this city must hate me etc.

About a month ago i experienced a major relapse with suicidal thoughts and started binging again. My therapist upped the dose to 90mg, which made my feel better again for a month but now i feel the good effects have again started to wear off. The next step would obviously be upping the dosage to 120mg but what if it stops working then?!! i'm now 23, having these symptoms for like since i was 13, been on/off meds and (bad) therapy since i was 18 but now for a year i've been rigorously eating my medication and going to therapy evaluations, trying to live healthily and doing sports regularly etc, really trying to do everything possible to live with myself.. :( Cymbalta is the only drug which has made me feel any better. So is there any chance for an experienced therapist to up the dosage after 150mg, or are there like any professional (and legal) responsebility questions when the dose is higher than researched...? I so hope you understood my rant, i'm not a native speaker (i'm Finnish and live in Finland) but i've found that this is absolutely the _best_ forum on the whole internet on this topic! :)

Hello sp86

My psychiatrist put me up to 150 mg of cymbalta today and in about a weeks time I will prob be going up to 180mg a day. I have only been on cymbalta for about 3 months now my doses have been increased really rapidly the cymbalta seems to work really well at first but then weans off and I am back in that black hole again. I am pretty concerned about my dosage as since I have been reading on here I can't seem to find anyone else who is on such a high dose as me:/ I will keep u posted on my progress. Fingers crossed this works

Hi everyone,

I am knew to this forum I'm so glad I have found other people on cymbalta. I have been in cymbalta for 3 months now my psych upped my dose to 150 mg today and in a week I go up to 180mg. Cymbalta seems to work but there wear off and I get so exhausted I can't make it through the days, all I do is sleep, I am always tired. It's unusual that I am still awake I would normally have gone to bed at least two hours ago but I guess this extra 30 mg is going to keep me up all night......... Has anyone else been on 150mg????

Well I didn't even know they made a dosage of 150 for Cymbalta, so the most I've taken is 90 mg., and it' always been stimulating fo me, so I have to take it in the morning. Have you asked about talking your dosage at night?

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise

I am transitioning from Celexa (which stopped workin) to Cymbalta. I am talking half of my Celexa (20mg) and one Cymbalta (30mg). I am on day six.

On day three I noticed a slight increase in mood and a very noticeable improvement with my Fibromyalgia pain. I have never had an anti depressant work that fast. Perhaps, lifting some if the horrendous physical pain lifted my mood by default?

I have tried many AD's and other drugs throughout the years and I usually have bad side effects in one form or the other.

The last two months have been hell. Trying three new drugs ( at different times) that made me either angry or physically ill or tweaking my dosage has kept me on a yo yo. I am Bipolar and I already have my own yo yo!

I hope this can give me a modicum of peace.

i've been on 20 mg for 5 weeks for generalized anxiety and minor depression. the depression was lifted after 6 days and the anxiety has alleviated quite a bit, but not to the full desired effect. i still feel the anxiety in my body 24/7, like muscle tension and tingly head and hands. my pdoc is very conservative and thinks that since i responded to the 20 mg i should stay on it for a while. does anyone have any experience with the physical symptoms of anxiety taking more then 5 weeks to fully go into remission?

am on 90 have been for a few years but i think i may need to go to 120 or change but one of the one i have had last time made me feal so bad i am in two minds to do this

I have been on 60mg for about two years now. It works very well for me. I tried to go up to 90 once but I started to feel terrible. I've heard this can happen with Cymbalta. When I went back down to 60 I felt good again.

I do a Cymbalta + Abilify combo that really keeps me at a good functioning level most days.

I've only just started taking Cymbalta 11 days ago. I was started out at 30 but in another week am suppose to be moved up to 60.

So far I seem to be feeling pretty good.

I had to jump off of Prozac 20mg, that I had been taking forseveral years (close to 10 I think). Went off Prozac for 7 days then started on 30 of Cymbalta.

Obviously I was on the Prozac for depression but have been suffering with sacroilliac joint disfunction and nerve damage for over a year. Cymbalta seemed like the perfect solution to **** two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I have had an SI joint injection of Cortezone (steroids) which seemed to help quite a bit. Guessing about 40-45%. I started taking the Cymbalta and thought, "Pah, low dose and an industrial sized pain to eleviate... don't expect much." Well... I'm eating my words! At 30mg and in only 11 days I am at 70-85% pain free!

As for the depression, I have noticed almost from day one that I have these "episodes/ bouts" of feeling really good. I can remember the first experience, I started having a wave of feeling good, was expecting the "crash" within seconds, like I always get and it kept going strong!! I don't know when that "rush" (of sorts) stopped but it was a gentle transition. I get these kinds of rushes, still but not as strong and more frequently but not steadily, if that makes sense.

So, I am waitilg the time out and will see how 60 mg goes when it is time to move up. Hopefully it will take me to a more "regular" and even place with no pain! Ok, I know thats a tall order but (shrugs) doesn't hurt to hope! :)

Oh, by the way, as if it isn't obvious by my number of posts LOL, I'm new and saying, "Hi!"

- fig

Hi 1fig and welcome to the DF,

Thank you for posting and letting us know your progress. It can take up to 4-6 weeks to really notice a difference and sometimes up to 8 before you fully adjust to these medications and feel better.

Sounds like you are on the right track though!

Let us know how you are doing.

Sincerely,

MaddieLouise