Sign in to follow this  
maintainin

What Dosage Of Cymbalta Are You On?

What dosage of cymbalta are you on?  

400 members have voted

1. 1. What dosage of cymbalta are you on?

• 20mg
    • 30mg
    • 60mg
    • 90mg
    • 120mg

I've seen a few posts asking about cymbalta dosages and thought I'd start a poll to get an idea of what dosages everybody is on.

I triald on 30mg twice daily, then was Rx'd 1 60mg a day. The single 60mg at once was too much for me (was getting racing heart o.O aka super-jitters)), and then my dr. wanted to try me on just 1 30mg a day, and it ended up not being enough (felt semi-depressed again) so now heh. I'm on two 30mgs a day.

I've been on 90mgs for quite awhile. Pdoc tried upping me to 120mgs last month but I got really nervou, irratible and shakey. So after a week I went back down to 90 and did much better again.

I hope it goes well for you, too!

I have used Cymbalta for 2 years but as with all antidepressants for me at some point they stop working and now I am trying EM SAM and this is the 2nd day and I am suicidal and could seriously hurt anyone. I did the cold turkey with Cymbalta which now was a horrible idea and I am very disappointed in doctor. Hope you have good luck on the Cymbalta as I did and maybe it will last longer for you.

I hope it goes well for you, too!

I have used Cymbalta for 2 years but as with all antidepressants for me at some point they stop working and now I am trying EM SAM and this is the 2nd day and I am suicidal and could seriously hurt anyone. I did the cold turkey with Cymbalta which now was a horrible idea and I am very disappointed in doctor. Hope you have good luck on the Cymbalta as I did and maybe it will last longer for you.

Are you suicidal you think because of the cymbalta withdrawal? I cant believe that docs are still advising patients to go cold turkey on these meds. It's borderline negligence if you ask me. I'd be sure to let your doc know about the suicidal feelings.

someone please help me... today is only the second day of 30mg. cymbalta.. the side effects are unbearable.. jittery and completly dazed.. SOOOO tired where i slept for 3 hours in the middle of the day both yesterday and today.. im on it for depression. any advice????

JuST,

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling jittery and dazed. I too had similar side effects when I started, but instead of feeling tired, I was wired. I think I would have preferred to be tired, because that way I could have slept through some of the side effects.

Unfortunately, it is really something you have to ride out, although you might ask your doctor about backing off to a 20 mg. dose for a week or so to see if you react better.

Once you get beyond the start-up SEs, I think you will be happy with it.

Sincerely,

Maddie

someone please help me... today is only the second day of 30mg. cymbalta.. the side effects are unbearable.. jittery and completly dazed.. SOOOO tired where i slept for 3 hours in the middle of the day both yesterday and today.. im on it for depression. any advice????

Im on 60mg a day. Did try 90mg for a couple of weeks just gone, but they did nothing for me so went back down to 60mg and added in Risperdal, altho my dr is seriously taking me off these pretty soon anyway...... :hearts:

JuST......feel for you. My first couple of weeks on this was awful too...nausea, dizziness, insomnia, . Have to say the first two have gone but been replaced with other side affects. I had to take my duloxetine in the morning as if i took it before bed i didnt sleep at all. Now can only get broken unrested sleep with sleeping tablets.....sorry sound like a bearer of bad news. Keep a note of what is happening to you and if it doesnt go tell your GP who will help...lots of luck your way :bump:

I just took my first 30mg startup dose last night and within hours I started to experience some side effects like dry mouth jitters and nausea, but I slept like a baby. Then today at work I have been kind of spaced out all day, I have had absolutely no desire to eat, and I don't know if its related to the medication but I've been yawning non-stop. I'm supposed to up my dose to 60mg after a week on the 30mg.....hopefully the satrtup effects will subside some by the time my dose increases.

So far everything I've read about Cymbalta has been very encouraging so I just keep telling myself that these SE's are worth it in the long run.

Edited by d3vilish

Couple of things. First, those sound like normal start up side effects to me. Second, studies have shown that taking cymbalta at night has shown a decreased effectiveness as opposed to taking it in the morning. That doesnt mean you should stop taking it at night, if its working you then thats great. Alot of people that take it at night also find that over time it starts affecting their sleep and that switching to the morning helps.

On a side note, smoking also decreases the effectiveness of cymbalta.

Couple of things. First, those sound like normal start up side effects to me. Second, studies have shown that taking cymbalta at night has shown a decreased effectiveness as opposed to taking it in the morning. That doesnt mean you should stop taking it at night, if its working you then thats great. Alot of people that take it at night also find that over time it starts affecting their sleep and that switching to the morning helps.

On a side note, smoking also decreases the effectiveness of cymbalta.

I appreciate the info....I've found that initially taking meds at night makes it easier for me to handle the SE's. Once I kinda have a grip on the pattern and how long most of the SE's last (or if they're continuous) I usually switch to an early morning schedule. I started using this method after I had what I like to refer to as a "freak out" at work one morning after I started using Wellbutrin XL combined with ativan a few years ago. That episode culminated in me sobbing hysterically at my desk then leaving work and not coming out of my apartment for 5 days!!

I just took my first 30mg startup dose last night and within hours I started to experience some side effects like dry mouth jitters and nausea, but I slept like a baby. Then today at work I have been kind of spaced out all day, I have had absolutely no desire to eat, and I don't know if its related to the medication but I've been yawning non-stop. I'm supposed to up my dose to 60mg after a week on the 30mg.....hopefully the satrtup effects will subside some by the time my dose increases.

So far everything I've read about Cymbalta has been very encouraging so I just keep telling myself that these SE's are worth it in the long run.

[/quot

Day 3 for me. 40mg's in the AM (two 20's). A lot of my pain subsided after the first dose. I get the nervous stomach and yawning attacks. Feeling a little warm and clamy today. The side effects aren't so bad compared to Effexor. Effexor was like a mind bending LSD flashback.

Try to drink plenty of fluids and take something otc for stomach acid if it bothers your stomach. Maybe it would work better if you ate something first. I don't notice it being so hard on my stomach if I do this, even a piece of toast is better than nothing.

What kind of pain are you experiencing? I have fibromyalgia and it works well. I don't get the horrible flares when the weather changes like it currently is in Ohio. I feel stiff, but not so much in pain and I don't get the 'hot' muscles.

The yawning is a start up, too. It went away in a couple of days. The stomach thing still lives after three years. Eat!

Jackie

I'm slowly moving up to 90 mg. a day, although right now I'm on 80 mg. and doing much better than at 60 mg. I'm not to the point of taking it all at once yet. Everything could change if I have to go on anti-seizure meds., so it's probably going to get more interesting (sigh. .). I won't know that until all the tests are complete.

I've seen a few posts asking about cymbalta dosages and thought I'd start a poll to get an idea of what dosages everybody is on.

I'm thinking of asking my doc about going up to 90 at my next appt. The 60mg seems to be working, but I still have periods well I dont feel so good.

Maintainin,

I think it's worth asking. I was definitely starting to experience more anxiety (especially in the morning), which made me consider that maybe a 60 mg. dose was not lasting long enough.

Sincerely,

Maddie

I'm thinking of asking my doc about going up to 90 at my next appt. The 60mg seems to be working, but I still have periods well I dont feel so good.

I started on 30 mg 11 days ago.. horrible side effects. Went to the Dr. yesterday he explained that most of it is from with drawl of the paxil I just went off. He had me start 60. I woke up today and took 60 I feel so much better. I also think maybe your body weight and gender has something to do with it. Im not really a small girl about 180 5'9 so I think maybe my body needed more.

Some folks need more for whatever reason. I was on 6omg for two months. I went up to 120mg five days ago and feel much better!

Hello, I was at 30 mgs for 7days then 60mgs for 6 days my doctor wanted to raise me to 90mgs last Monday, before adjusting to 60mgs, saying that most of his patients get a better effect at that dose. I chickened out. I do trust my doctor and am not complaining about him just chickened out. I am starting to feel good at 60mgs but it is still up and down. For a period I will feel good and then so so. I am listening to everyone who has wrote that it takes about 2-3 weeks to feel consistant so I am sticking with the cymalta start up time, which is much longer than any other AD I have taken. Although the first two days I felt really good. The good/happy feeling is not consistant yet but I am starting to feel it. What did you experience when you went to 90mgs? Do you think higher doses of Cymbalta are more effective? Did you go straight to 120 skipping 90mg? Anyway I am glad it is working for you. In my other post I mentioned the spaciness, how long does that last? Does it get worse with a dose increase?

That's good news strwaberries. Glad to know it sounds like you're on the right dosage now.

I started on 30 mg 11 days ago.. horrible side effects. Went to the Dr. yesterday he explained that most of it is from with drawl of the paxil I just went off. He had me start 60. I woke up today and took 60 I feel so much better. I also think maybe your body weight and gender has something to do with it. Im not really a small girl about 180 5'9 so I think maybe my body needed more.