Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Logan Sims

I am fed up with school

Recommended Posts

School has got me so ridiculously frustrated lately that it isn't even funny. This place is a prison that is only missing the metal bars. Oh wait, those bars are on all of our desks! I'm sick of learning algebraic expressions that I will never use. More like algebraic excuses for another stupid and useless topic to teach in school. English makes some sense, but I don't see myself writing essays for a living. History could be worse even though I don't like it much either. The teacher in that class is respectable enough though. I haven't had any type of science yet this year, but I'm sure I'll be terrible at it. The point is there is so much in school that we will never use. History can be interesting at best, science doesn't seem that necessary since it basically tells you how things work but that doesn't make a huge difference anyway. The way I see it is that things happen scientifically, and that's for the scientists to figure out why. I'm no scientist so it's not really my problem. English is partly useful until you write an essay. I feel like an essay is just an excuse for the English teacher to squawk at us for not being best-selling authors. And don't even get me started with algebra! It is the most useless thing I have ever done! Even the things that we would need to know technology already has covered! We have calculators of all sorts and the need for algebra can continue to be solely based on the eggheads lucky enough to actually understand it. I'm a guy who wants to do something more practical with my like. I don't plan on teaching some subject in school. I'm not contributing to more children's suffering if I can help it. I know I'll have to pay taxes that go back into the child prison budget, but I'm not going to be a warden. My argument against school lies with some of the most successful people ever. Bill Gates spent two years at Harvard and dropped out. Guess what? He founded freaking Microsoft! And here I am sitting at a stupid desk everyday getting yelled at by teachers and feeling miserable, when I could venture out and learn about things that I actually care for. It's good to see how much our government cares for us students. My sarcasm couldn't be any higher right now. One of these days I feel like I'm going to lose it. Sadly, School doesn't work like a crappy office job. You can't say you quit and walk out. And honestly, I wonder what would happen if pretty much every student in America said no. That they aren't going back to school until the education system is fixed. I'm probably an idiot for thinking that way, but the Government can't arrest everyone. The same goes if most people said no to paying taxes. "No taxation without representation" - James Otis, 1761

The point is, if we really wanted the best for everyone in this nation, then we would start making our voices heard. Sadly, I'm just one lousy highschool student. I'm not the student body of America as a whole. So a school strike would be really hard to pull off on my own. Impossible really. I know that I have no choice but to be miserable until I graduate. And if I get held back then I'll probably dropout. Because I'm not doing another year of this BS. In the end I'm just a small replacable part in the larger malfunctioning machine of America's public school system. It honestly wouldn't matter much if I died. I would simply be replaced. The money gap from me not being around wouldn't last long. I realize that in the obvious size of this world and this universe, I am well... Nothing. There are many people like me and I'm not some special snowflake. I see our school system as unfair. But many people may look at people like me as lazy, unethical, hormonal teenagers who can't think rationally for even five minutes. But in the end, children are the future of America. And I can see America going straight down the crapper if we don't make things better for children. I hope that some of what I've said makes sense and I'm glad I got to rant. Even if just by typing out my frustrations. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does your district have a school where you go once a week and get work assignments to do on your own each week. My daughter was not good with the normal school setting but found this, I think it was called continuation school, very easy and better to do. It's for kids that have a hard time learning in a classroom setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BeyondWeary said:

Does your district have a school where you go once a week and get work assignments to do on your own each week. My daughter was not good with the normal school setting but found this, I think it was called continuation school, very easy and better to do. It's for kids that have a hard time learning in a classroom setting. 

My district probably doesn't. My district doesn't really care about it's students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Logan Sims said:

My district probably doesn't. My district doesn't really care about it's students.

I feel your pain about the way some 

schools are with teaching and helping 

students to better understand their school 

work assignments.  We ended up seeking 

additional help with our adoptive girls.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2018 at 8:32 AM, Logan Sims said:

School has got me so ridiculously frustrated lately that it isn't even funny. This place is a prison that is only missing the metal bars. Oh wait, those bars are on all of our desks! I'm sick of learning algebraic expressions that I will never use. More like algebraic excuses for another stupid and useless topic to teach in school. English makes some sense, but I don't see myself writing essays for a living. History could be worse even though I don't like it much either. The teacher in that class is respectable enough though. I haven't had any type of science yet this year, but I'm sure I'll be terrible at it. The point is there is so much in school that we will never use. History can be interesting at best, science doesn't seem that necessary since it basically tells you how things work but that doesn't make a huge difference anyway. The way I see it is that things happen scientifically, and that's for the scientists to figure out why. I'm no scientist so it's not really my problem. English is partly useful until you write an essay. I feel like an essay is just an excuse for the English teacher to squawk at us for not being best-selling authors. And don't even get me started with algebra! It is the most useless thing I have ever done! Even the things that we would need to know technology already has covered! We have calculators of all sorts and the need for algebra can continue to be solely based on the eggheads lucky enough to actually understand it. I'm a guy who wants to do something more practical with my like. I don't plan on teaching some subject in school. I'm not contributing to more children's suffering if I can help it. I know I'll have to pay taxes that go back into the child prison budget, but I'm not going to be a warden. My argument against school lies with some of the most successful people ever. Bill Gates spent two years at Harvard and dropped out. Guess what? He founded freaking Microsoft! And here I am sitting at a stupid desk everyday getting yelled at by teachers and feeling miserable, when I could venture out and learn about things that I actually care for. It's good to see how much our government cares for us students. My sarcasm couldn't be any higher right now. One of these days I feel like I'm going to lose it. Sadly, School doesn't work like a crappy office job. You can't say you quit and walk out. And honestly, I wonder what would happen if pretty much every student in America said no. That they aren't going back to school until the education system is fixed. I'm probably an idiot for thinking that way, but the Government can't arrest everyone. The same goes if most people said no to paying taxes. "No taxation without representation" - James Otis, 1761

The point is, if we really wanted the best for everyone in this nation, then we would start making our voices heard. Sadly, I'm just one lousy highschool student. I'm not the student body of America as a whole. So a school strike would be really hard to pull off on my own. Impossible really. I know that I have no choice but to be miserable until I graduate. And if I get held back then I'll probably dropout. Because I'm not doing another year of this BS. In the end I'm just a small replacable part in the larger malfunctioning machine of America's public school system. It honestly wouldn't matter much if I died. I would simply be replaced. The money gap from me not being around wouldn't last long. I realize that in the obvious size of this world and this universe, I am well... Nothing. There are many people like me and I'm not some special snowflake. I see our school system as unfair. But many people may look at people like me as lazy, unethical, hormonal teenagers who can't think rationally for even five minutes. But in the end, children are the future of America. And I can see America going straight down the crapper if we don't make things better for children. I hope that some of what I've said makes sense and I'm glad I got to rant. Even if just by typing out my frustrations. Thank you.

I think you're spot on.  Have you tried writing a letter to one of your state's senators about this?  If you explain what is happening in your school, and what happened to The Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow (ECOT), they may be more inclined to do something about it.  Make sure to emphasize the financial impact and how taxpayers will/are/have responeded to that, since that is what most politicians actually care about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wizardwarrior315 said:

I think you're spot on.  Have you tried writing a letter to one of your state's senators about this?  If you explain what is happening in your school, and what happened to The Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow (ECOT), they may be more inclined to do something about it.  Make sure to emphasize the financial impact and how taxpayers will/are/have responeded to that, since that is what most politicians actually care about.

I'm only 15. I'm not sure how all that taxpayer stuff works. I also used to go to ECOT. They were shut down because of mismanaged records. That school would've gotten me to graduation and my life probably would have been somewhat better at this point.

Edited by Logan Sims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Logan, I totally understand your frustration. I believe our education system does need to change, but you will probably not be in the system that long as it seems you are in your last years of high school. However, I will tell you that all those mind numbing subjects actually do prepare you for the world outside of school. Will you use Algebra? According to what you do. Do you want to work in construction? If so, you need basic math skills to make joints fit together and to understand how to cut angles. Do you want to work in the business world? If so, you need to know how to compose well written proposals. Understanding grammar is the key to written communication. Do you want to work in the healthcare field? Then you need to understand science which often pairs with math. Do you want to be a Forest Ranger? You need to understand science yet again. Do you want to be a cop, attorney, museum guide? You need to understand history and the laws of our land. Do you want to be a musician? You need to learn how to play music, train your vocal skills, understand math and accounting so you don't get taken advantage of by those who manage your bookings.

If you have read all of the above I'm sure you are thinking, "YOU SUCK" (as in I suck) for pointing out the obvious but this is how life works and if you can find what interests you and work the system to your benefit then you will have BEAT the system!

Hope you find your passion, research what you need to do to succeed in your desired field and DO it! Why not you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cassie Shannon said:

Hi Logan, I totally understand your frustration. I believe our education system does need to change, but you will probably not be in the system that long as it seems you are in your last years of high school. However, I will tell you that all those mind numbing subjects actually do prepare you for the world outside of school. Will you use Algebra? According to what you do. Do you want to work in construction? If so, you need basic math skills to make joints fit together and to understand how to cut angles. Do you want to work in the business world? If so, you need to know how to compose well written proposals. Understanding grammar is the key to written communication. Do you want to work in the healthcare field? Then you need to understand science which often pairs with math. Do you want to be a Forest Ranger? You need to understand science yet again. Do you want to be a cop, attorney, museum guide? You need to understand history and the laws of our land. Do you want to be a musician? You need to learn how to play music, train your vocal skills, understand math and accounting so you don't get taken advantage of by those who manage your bookings.

If you have read all of the above I'm sure you are thinking, "YOU SUCK" (as in I suck) for pointing out the obvious but this is how life works and if you can find what interests you and work the system to your benefit then you will have BEAT the system!

Hope you find your passion, research what you need to do to succeed in your desired field and DO it! Why not you?

So far I have taught myself what I'm interested in and that hasn't required anything that I have done in school besides basic English. My YouTube channel has over 10,000 views and I have over 130 subscribers. School didn't teach me to do that. I taught myself with passion to do that. Not that I am denying your claims. It's just that I refuse the system. It is a painful one and seems to me like a waste of time if I can someday make a living doing YouTube.

Edited by Logan Sims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it Logan. Tommy Hilfiger (clothing designer) designed clothes in his parents garage. He was massively talented and his business took off with no college degree, just sheer talent and hard work. However, if you read google him you will find in an interview when asked what advise he would give a young, talented person his answer was, "I'd go to school. Learn how to run a business and understand the economics of it all. I went bankrupt and literally lost it all and had to start again. If I could go back I would have educated myself while honing my skills." paraphrased.

So, although you apparently have mad skills there are things you simply do not know from lack of education and experience. Be smart. Finish school.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

These subjects are actually really important to learn. I get school can be draining and feel pointless when depressed, but it sounds like you just do not like doing work. What does this have to do with depression? Correct me if I'm wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, KipKipFox said:

These subjects are actually really important to learn. I get school can be draining and feel pointless when depressed, but it sounds like you just do not like doing work. What does this have to do with depression? Correct me if I'm wrong. 

First, I couldn't tell you one of the classes I take in school right now that could actually help me develop marketable skills. I'll tell you what that has to do with depression. The stressful work is contributing to my depression. And who actually likes doing work? Be honest. Call me a lazy bastard, but I'd be a lot more eager to work if I was learning things that actually mattered to me. I have been practicing graphic design which I actually care about, enjoy, and I think I'm pretty good at it. The point is my school more than contributes to the terrible feelings I deal with everyday. Eventually it will inevitably push me to the edge where I finally decide to just end my life. Most people at school hate me. Most of the teachers seem to as well. If the suffering I go through everyday in that hellhole doesn't go hand in hand with my depression, I don't know what does. Pretty much everyone in that place treats me like garbage. Maybe I just didn't explain my situation clearly, but I hate school. Always have. I hate my life too. Have for a long time. Sorry if I come across as rude, but as I said, I hate my life. I basically just want to die so I don't have to deal with anymore bs. Been thinking about finding a quick and painless way to go for a long while now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Well that sounds like a stressful situation. Have you reached out for help and got diagnosed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand how you feel, i felt the same in high school. I spent the majority of my time in shop classes because thats what i liked. Sadly, most of those classes are gone these days. But i hate to admit, i wish I had paid more attention to algebra, and everything else. I actually have needed that stuff, and felt like an idiot not knowing it.

If you dont know how to write and handle basic grammar, people wont take you seriously.

I got into the electrical trade and needed algebra.

Had to write reports at work, needed spelling, grammar, writing.

History, not so much, but its embarrassing when people are discussing something and you're clueless.

Followers on you tube is cool, but doubtful you'll make a career of that.

Learn everything you can, while you can. Its much harder later.

Yes it sucks, so does working. 

See a therapist if depression is clogging up your brain. 

Good luck.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...