Sign in to follow this  
Waynef48

The Power Of Hugging

I only allow my boyfriend to actually hug me, no one else. I only feel like I'd let other people hug me because I need the support but I'd be afraid I'd get too emotional. I'm really not used to them.

I love hugs when I'm in the right place for one!!! I've never really thought how good it feels to be hugged til now, the "The Power of Hugging" how cool is that!!! :hugs: Just the thought of a hug has put a smile on my face at this very moment!!

Edited by EmptyPages

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2007 at 4:21 PM, Waynef48 said:

Just last month I went on a web site that spoke on the power of hugging someone and how we needed to hug and be hugged many times a day. Below I've cut and paste the article for all your enjoyment and edification. Be forwarned though, this article left me feeling so emotionally and psychologically malnorished and even more depressed, as I realised why I personally desired to hug and be hugged by women so much. The last time I read this article i burst into tears, such was the revelation and power of its contents, so read it with care, read it with a lot of tissue ;-) Sometimes I swear I believe I want and need a hug more than I want and need sex. Hugging is particularly benificial to people with mental illnesses like us. I believe lots of hugging and theraputic massages are a must for people suffering with depression and it's "relatives". Anyhow read the article and don't feel so bad if like me u r not getting even half of the daily recommended dosage of hugs, there's hope, hang in there, I hug u all, God bless u all.

Wayne.

HAVE YOU HUGGED ANYONE LATELY?

By Parveen Chopra

We need 4 hugs a day for survival. We need 8 hugs a day for maintenance. We need 12 hugs a day for growth

Then why the hell am I still breathing?, I don't think I've had 12 hugs total in my whole life. To me this is just something to make the depressed well more depressed. Having you think bout what you don't have has never helped anyone at least not me.

my husband has severe depression with terrible anhedonia. he doesn't care for kisses or hugs but I still give him a hug daily and ask him to hug me back. I'm not sure if the hugs comfort him at all since he no longer knows what love feels like, but I'm trusting this thread and pray that the hugs lift his mood even if it's just a little bit. I hope it doesn't have the opposite effect and instead annoys him as he is so easily agitated these days and wants to be alone (he confessed that he wants to move out to live alone).

Hugs have a great power! But at first time I was hugged by a stranger, I was shocked and completely confused. Second time I was crying. And maybe only after 5-6 times I relaxed and enjoyed the process. Actually, when someone close hugs me, I’m still nervous. Don't know why it's easier to get hugs from unfamiliar people in some therapeutic groups.

Wow.. that's such a powerful message. Hugs can indeed do so many things, just a hug from our loved ones can solve half the problem. 

It's not that I don't believe hugs could be helpful...I've just never been hugged, or touched by others in general really, so I tend to not like being physically touched...Don't get the wrong idea, I wasn't like abused or anything, I just haven't been touched by people so my only stimulus is to act indifferent or shy away from actual physical contact...