Sign in to follow this  
Logan Sims

I've had enough

9 minutes ago, downer dog said:

Thats what I did.  I wanted to be a nurse from the time I was 3 years old.  Then in high school I brought home student loan and scholarship forms but my folks just said, as always, "oh, you'll figure it out".  So I joined the army as a medic.  Thought I was gonna go to nursing school but my recruiter screwed me and I pretty much ended up driving a 1/4 ton pick up truck and "camping" in the swamps of GA for three years.  Oh, well.  Something on my resume.

It’s still not to late my friend, I know people 

who became nurses after retirement.  Yes

in their late fifties or early sixties 

3 minutes ago, Floor2017 said:

It’s still not to late my friend, I know people 

who became nurses after retirement.  Yes

in their late fifties or early sixties 

OH for sure.  And I have thought about it.  I work as a neurologist assistant/transcriptionist for the same Doc for the past 30 years.  Im 56 now.  He will probably be in practice for quite a few years as his son is in medical school now, a resident at Mayo clinic.  Even if I did go back to school to be a nurse, my duties and responsibilities (and PAY!) wouldn't change and I am not gonna leave him now after all these years just to start somewhere new.  I have chronic pain (and depression or I wouldn't be here), so I cant see starting a whole new job after my boss retires.  I'll never be able to afford to retire anyway, so I'll be one of those people who drop dead on the job most likely.  I appreciate your response though, thank you.

40 minutes ago, downer dog said:

OH for sure.  And I have thought about it.  I work as a neurologist assistant/transcriptionist for the same Doc for the past 30 years.  Im 56 now.  He will probably be in practice for quite a few years as his son is in medical school now, a resident at Mayo clinic.  Even if I did go back to school to be a nurse, my duties and responsibilities (and PAY!) wouldn't change and I am not gonna leave him now after all these years just to start somewhere new.  I have chronic pain (and depression or I wouldn't be here), so I cant see starting a whole new job after my boss retires.  I'll never be able to afford to retire anyway, so I'll be one of those people who drop dead on the job most likely.  I appreciate your response though, thank you.

I do understand and I’m in a similar situation myself regarding pay and starting a new career.  I basically pour

my energy into young people trying to 

inspire them to pursue their life ambitions 

and dreams.  I have a good life, one in

which I get to help others who are less

fortunately than myself.  I have learned 

it is better to give then it is to receive 

In life. 

12 hours ago, downer dog said:

Thats what I did.  I wanted to be a nurse from the time I was 3 years old.  Then in high school I brought home student loan and scholarship forms but my folks just said, as always, "oh, you'll figure it out".  So I joined the army as a medic.  Thought I was gonna go to nursing school but my recruiter screwed me and I pretty much ended up driving a 1/4 ton pick up truck and "camping" in the swamps of GA for three years.  Oh, well.  Something on my resume.

That sucks.  I have heard a few lies my recruiter told me stories.

Hope things are looking up.

12 hours ago, downer dog said:

Hey, another person who has stuck it out for the long term. I just passed my 30 year anniversary last week (with no recognition from my boss, but whatever).

Wow, that's great about your son. Mayo is an amazing place.

I will never be able to afford to retire either. I run different scenarios in my mind about what could happen, but they all inevitably lead to me living on the street.