chumly

feel awful tonight

i just got on the scale and i am now the heaviest i have ever been. I am 170 lbs and i am only 5'5. I broke down and cried. how did this happen? i was 150 lbs in March when I met a man from a dating site. he has been wanting to get together with me since but I keep putting him off since I keep putting on the weight and i am embarrassed for him to see me now. This is the story of my life. I am an emotional eater so I have always had issues with eating when i am emotional but it has been worse then ever now..the slightest thing makes me over-eat now. it is almost out of control now. This man just wants to be my friend but i feel so awful about myself that i feel like i dont want to be seen until i get my weight down but i never get it down and now it is actually up and i feel awful.

how can i stop this cycle of over-eating, putting on weight, feeling sad, hyberating and then starting it all again? should i join weight watchers? what should i do? tks

@chumly Your post resonated with me. I'm the heaviest I've ever been too. I stopped exercising but kept eating junk food. It has caught up with me. None of my pants fit and I have no endurance, even for walking at a moderate pace. I'm at the age where my metabolism has slowed so the weight will not come off again easily at all.

My entertainment has become watching old movies in my recliner while stuffing my face with carbs. That's my nightly activity.

I guess I need to replace it with something else. What that would be, I'm not sure.

Over eating could be perceived as an attempt to fill the empty depression cave.

Of course people will try to fill the emptiness in countless other ways.

To my way of thinking it's best to accept the emptiness and try to put it to use.

As for the weight gain, there is no better advice than to eat less and you guessed it, exercise more.

Sorry that you are feeling so bad. Maybe seeing a good doctor and a therapist could help you though this time and deal with both the reasons why you overeat and the practical help you need. I wish you well and keep posting and letting us know how you are doing. 

Also what about taking up a simple hobby like reading, crocheting, or knitting to keep your hands busy. There are also grown-up coloring books and you can use with colored pencils or markers. This helps me and it's a good pastime and keeps me engaged in something positive.

hi everyone!! thanks for all the great advice and relating too!:)

BeyondWeary, I love your suggestion about doing stuff with my hands! That is a very interesting one since it would keep them busy and away from using them to eat with..I really like that one! 🙂 

I do feel quite a bit better today..I also tried a new approach that I am thinking might be a good one for me. After I posted on here last night I took a long walk around my neighborhood and I think it really helped. It helped clear my mind and it is obviously better then eating anyway. I also did that today when I woke up too..and it once again had a good affect on me!

I also realize now that when I weighed myself last night it must have been water weight because when I woke up today I was 5 lbs lighter...so that was a relief!!  I am still way too heavy for what I want to be but either way that 5 lbs less made me feel better! 🙂  and today I have been successful with my diet and I plan to exercise shortly too which always makes me feel better. 🙂 I am still thinking of looking into Weight Watchers since I have heard good things about it.

Has anybody on here had any experience with weight watchers? I heard they are good at dealing with emotional eating issues. ..so that might be just what I need.

Anyway, thanks again for all the great advise and support. I really appreciate it and I will keep this thread posted. 🙂