Sign in to follow this  
haventaclue

What Brings You Comfort?

I hate being cold. Personally I could probably live the rest of my life with a blanket wrapped around me and be quite happy, but that’s just me.

My boyfriend on the other hand... opposite problem. He hates to sweat, overheats easily, keeps his house at about a toasty 65 degrees. I frequently raid his sock drawer when I visit.

Last year when he left the state for a couple weeks, he let me borrow his coziest pair of socks so I wouldn’t get too cold without him, and also to remind me that he would come back.

Now I always keep a pair of his socks at my place, and I put them on when I need to feel safe and warm. Tonight I feel lonely and sad, so I put on my boyfriend’s socks. I feel a little better already.

I would love to hear what kind of simple things give you comfort when you need a little pick-me-up.

Candles, my fur blanket, music I grew up listening to, my favorite books. Looking at old photos, tea or hot cocoa, hot bubble baths when it's cold out. Comfort foods like baked mac n cheese, sometimes reading poetry.

I used to find yoga comforting when I'd go to the community yoga with my mom. The teacher there was so great, but she moved away. I also used to walk on the beach in the evenings with my mom, but those days are over too. 

I like this question, because I think self soothing is so important, you know it seems like we learn that skill as children and forget it as we grow up.

I like to be in my running clothes. I find it oddly comforting to have my legs in pants that feel like an extra layer of skin, and when I lace up my sneakers nice and tight, it feels like I’m ready to take on the whole world. 🙂

On 10/21/2018 at 6:06 AM, SugaredSloth said:

I like this question, because I think self soothing is so important, you know it seems like we learn that skill as children and forget it as we grow up.

This.

And I forget that I need to try new things, always. As I aged I learned that some self soothing techniques from childhood no longer seemed to work. Only to find that in another time and place, they worked again. Living is a confusing occupation. 

Lightly brushing my inner forearm with the backs my fingernails - kinda weird? Nerves close to the skin I guess. 

27 minutes ago, Atra said:

This.

And I forget that I need to try new things, always. As I aged I learned that some self soothing techniques from childhood no longer seemed to work. Only to find that in another time and place, they worked again. Living is a confusing occupation. 

Lightly brushing my inner forearm with the backs my fingernails - kinda weird? Nerves close to the skin I guess. 

It is difficult trying to find things to help comfort you at time but even in this we

have to be careful not to over do it.

I like to stay busy to help comfort me and it gets my mind off of what

is actually going on in my life.  Also reaching out to others help me

to comfort myself  and it brings me much joy to know that I am doing

something that might help someone else to help get over their troubles. 

On 11/2/2018 at 2:15 PM, Atra said:

This.

I get it. Something that always brings a sense of satisfaction: my hair brushing the skin on my arms. I have really long hair and sometimes I curl up into a ball and cover myself with it like a blanket. Strange sort of stimulation, but soothing.

30 minutes ago, SqueezeWax said:

Three’s Company.

I can’t explain it. Something about the ‘look’ and tone of sitcoms from that era is soothing to me.

Yes I love Three's Company!  I think you're the only other person I've ever heard say they like that show.

3 minutes ago, sober4life said:

Yes I love Three's Company!  I think you're the only other person I've ever heard say they like that show.

I think most people are too embarrassed to admit to 😑. I think at the time it was akin to something like Two And A 1/2 Men.

Sign in to follow this