Sign in to follow this  
Nissala

Thought rumination and anxiety..Help needed!

Does anyone else deal with thought rumination? Where the thoughts just keep spinning and piling up until your head feels like its going to explode, you can't concentrate on a single thing and feel helpless to stop it?  If anyone deals with this and has any tips to help stop it PLEASE post them. It's absolutely debilitating for me 😞 

3 hours ago, Nissala said:

Does anyone else deal with thought rumination? Where the thoughts just keep spinning and piling up until your head feels like its going to explode, you can't concentrate on a single thing and feel helpless to stop it?  If anyone deals with this and has any tips to help stop it PLEASE post them. It's absolutely debilitating for me 😞 

I have thoughts that sometime want go away but not to the point  that you describe

However, it still can drive you crazy when unwanted thoughts want go away

hang in there my friend and inform your doctor about what is going on with you.  :hugs:

Hi Nissala, I'm so glad you took a couple minutes of your time to unload your concerns on this forum. I can identify with some of what you experience, and thankfully, from years of hard work and trusting God for help, I am not buried under negativity anymore. 

As in many forms of mental illness, our minds automatically obsess over things unnecessarily, and as we all know, the outcome never changes.

I am not a professional, and therefore cannot offer any clinical advice, but I can share from my own experience what helped me short-circuit interfering thoughts leading to anxiety.

Remember to give yourself permission to cope from any past circumstances, with the goal of disarming them in your thought life and putting them in their proper place. This takes time, and involves the intervention of a therapist or counselor. Treating only the symptoms does not bring a person any closer curing the cause.

Since I am a Christian, I exchanged the lies in my head for truths found in the Bible. There is a reference to this that goes, ".......whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things."

Feeding my mind these truths is no different than feeding your stomach when you want food. 

Whenever a debilitating thought comes into my mind to ruin me, I exchange it for words that bring life. It is possible to rest your brain, because when you change the way you think, you actually chemically change the connections in your brain.

Ask yourself if rumination will solve the problem. It won't, as you well know already, so you can take steps to interrupt the vicious cycle by wilfully choosing to replace those thoughts with ideas, suggestions, and activities that will build you up instead of tear you down. 

If you had a record playing in the room stuck on replay, you could only tolerate it for so long. After a short period of time you would go over to the record and take charge of the problem by unplugging it, and then finding something else that brought you pleasure.  This step is where the toughest work is, because it's where behavior actually changes. You have to do another behavior instead of the old one. 

Try googling some research on resetting your brain and see what you can find. Starting off with some self-therapy can get yourself into the pattern of recognizing the opportunities to make some changes. I sure hope some of this helps, and thank you for letting me share my thoughts.

Edited by lovingladyo4

Thank you for the advice. I will do some research and pray to find something that will help. I do have an appt with a counselor tomorrow, maybe she can help.  Thank you again for the insight. 

I saw the counselor today but my thoughts were so overwhelming I had a hard time paying attention. This anxiety is causing my depression to be worse! I just want to close my eyes and not deal with anything but then I beat myself up telling myself I'm lazy, worthless and a total failure 😞 When I try to interact with others in the house, just for a short time, makes to weary and I have to lay down. When I open my eyes again my mind starts racing that I've got to fix this, there's got to be something that will fix it quick! I've got to work this weekend and I can't be like this at work! How am I going to cope and get through those hours???!!???  What if somebody notices? What if I screw up something? If I don't go to work, I won't be able to make my car payment and then I'll lose my car and be walking the 5 to 10 miles it takes to get anywhere from where I live!?!?  WHEN is this going to stop???😭

Hi Nissa I feel for you so much because I know what its like to deal with this as I deal with this on the daily basis. But there was a period of time where I had absolutely no control over it.  I could not have a single moment of peace because of it. 

What helped me is accept that these intrusive thoughts for what it is and that they are completely ILLOGICAL THOUGHTS. They have zero base and truth to them. When you are having these thoughts remind yourself that you can not rely on them for truth. Your logic is inaccurate because its basing everything out of pure fear. So catch yourself in the middle of the thought and ask yourself "has any of my bad thoughts ever come true is this really true how do I usually act when I think/feel this way" and questioning it can help and making yourself realize how illogical they are can sometimes help stop the thoughts. 

Imagine you had the flu do you blame yourself for all the symptoms too ?? No everyone gets the flu sometimes it is not Your fault! and neither is this! you are not lazy or worthless for getting the flu those symptoms are not your fault! so remind yourself that this is not your fault either and do not let yourself fall into more despair for experiencing symptoms did you did not cause yourself. If anything be proud of yourself for fighting to get better i personally feel very proud of you and admire you for having to deal with such things all while managing a job. Those are not easy tasks yet here you are doing just that. So please remember that next time you wanna beat yourself up for having these symptoms dont tell youself youre lazy and worthless but tell yourself how strong you are for handling symptoms you did not ask for yet are fighting to get better so courageously. 

What helps too is find a phrase that helps me calm down and I repeat it when my thoughts are coming up. I remember Watching a movie where there was two brothers and one of the brothers would have trouble with himself and handling his impulses and his brother would tell him "If you can take it. You can make it" and that kind of always stuck with me Because I always remind myself If I can handle the first wave of bad thoughts then the reast will be easy, If I can take it I can make it. and I have and so have you! You have had these intrusive thoughts and have made it this far! You can take them so you can make it . 

Lastly choose one thing ONE and concentrate on it and how you can solve it. if youre at work look at the one tasj you have to get done and concentrate on how to solve it instead of concentarte how to solve a million things thats not even happening at that moment. 

You got this Nissa ! You got so much stress on you and its not easy to handle be nicer to yourself because you are a strong person fighting every day to make a difference for yourself that deserves credit. concentrate on the acomplishments you have made and remind yourself of the good you have done. 

Were here for you! 

On 10/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, Nissala said:

I saw the counselor today but my thoughts were so overwhelming I had a hard time paying attention. This anxiety is causing my depression to be worse! I just want to close my eyes and not deal with anything but then I beat myself up telling myself I'm lazy, worthless and a total failure 😞 When I try to interact with others in the house, just for a short time, makes to weary and I have to lay down. When I open my eyes again my mind starts racing that I've got to fix this, there's got to be something that will fix it quick! I've got to work this weekend and I can't be like this at work! How am I going to cope and get through those hours???!!???  What if somebody notices? What if I screw up something? If I don't go to work, I won't be able to make my car payment and then I'll lose my car and be walking the 5 to 10 miles it takes to get anywhere from where I live!?!?  WHEN is this going to stop???😭

Don’t worry 😉 about anything just do 

your best and everything else will take 

care of itself.  Fear is some of problems 

that is causing you to feel the way you 

do.  Just let go and let the Mighty One 

do for you what you can not do for yourself.   :hugs:

I read your initial post and thought I could have written it myself, TBH.  :hugs:Do you have any thoughts about what your triggers seem to be? 

I have the same problem when my anxiety kicks in - I literally have the same thought over and over again.  Like a broken record.  Then all the possible catastrophes start rolling through my head, over and over again. 

I feel like this is a possible indicator that I have obsessive tendencies, as it is a regular problem for me to fixate/ruminate on things.  What I have taught myself is exchange.  I don't try to stop the rumination cycle, I only try to change its focus.  There are several topics I am highly interested in and highly emotionally invested in, and I push my thoughts to those topics.  It has to be something with high emotional value or it doesn't work.  I have to persist in that for at least three quarters of an hour or more, minimum. 

When my thoughts can stay with that new topic, I can use my relaxation techniques - those involve music and movement.  I use loud emotional music to keep my thoughts from going back to the rumination topic. I use movement to help my body get rid of the excess energy it is mistakenly creating (fight or flight). 

When I am in a public place (grocery shopping) I often use music as a barrier. I need a mental and emotional barrier between myself and my environment when in social situations. Listening to music creates that barrier and gives my mind something to focus on besides how anxious it is. 

I hope you are able to find some techniques that work for you.  My youngest child uses a countdown technique that requires her to make observations about her environment. 

Hi Nissala,

My family doctor, many years ago, termed this "repetitive thought" syndrome.  She might have just made up the diagnosis for the insurance company, or more likely it was out there already. 

Most of the suggestions to help yourself are good ones, and amount to cognitive behavior therapy.  You try to take control by consciously shifting into another gear, sending the bad thoughts away or aside, and replacing them with a thought more immediate in your life, and positive.

As suggested, your problem and mine, might be  a result of some deeper problem . . . or not.  For me, if I can relieve the cycle of bad thoughts, I feel better.  Alcohol is of course a worst choice in this case as it's further depressing, but by the time you're half drunk you don't care.  I know you didn't mention this, but it was part of my cycle.

I think the good news is, that if you can teach yourself to avoid, yes avoid, those thoughts, things can get better.  You can explore root causes if that helps, but, for me, just getting rid of the thoughts, solves my problem. 

I take a Prozac knockoff, and that seems to help.  Just try and train yourself to react in a different direction, immediately, as soon as the bad thoughts show.  They will punch you in the gut, and then the head, so head them off.  I used to have a list of things I regretted from my past that I would play and replay.  It was the same stuff, over and over.  I started to push them away, each and every time, and now that has become my reaction.  After years of just not working at this . . .

Hope this will work for you, or helps.  You may have bigger issues, but they will be hard to address when your habit is to beat yourself up. 

Sending good thoughts your way.

Bulga

Edited by Bulgakov
bad mojo

Hi Nissala, 

I wish I had some sort of magic help for you, but I kind of just wanted to give you a virtual hug and let you know you are not alone with this. I deal  with it as well, and it wears you down. If you ever want to chat, feel free to message me. (I'm a Bama gal myself, currently living in Phoenix, AZ:)

Take care of yourself. Blessings to you

I also am dealing with this right now, and I have in the past it has come and gone many times in my life so far. I keep telling myself that I've been here before, and made my way out of it and that does seem to help a bit. It's really hard to think of anything else when you have these thoughts consuming you're mind I know but I keep pulling myself out and re-directing all day and I can feel some relief from that each time I do. I've not had therapy as of yet but I do have my first appointment next month, never really thought it would help but obviously me trying to deal with it on my own for 20 years now hasn't done much except get me through these hard times and not really learned to 'fix' them. I can tell you though that you are definitely not alone, it's actually fairly common and can be treated, so rest assured there is hope and help for this, keep reminding yourself of that every day, every time your mind starts racing focus on the fact that its temporary, and tell yourself even if you say it out loud that they are just intrusive thoughts, nothing more, and that things can get back to normal.