What do you take for sleep????

Looking to hear what others take to help them fall asleep and stay aslerp. 

Ive tried be benedryl and hydroxizine with little success.

I’ve tried Trazadone but it plugs me up so bad I can’t breath. 

Also tried melatonin, many different herbs, supplements and concoctions. Nothing is keeping me asleep more than 3 hours, not even Ativan. So looking for ideas. I need some hope. I’m desperate. 

Dr has now presided ambien and Gabapentin to try. 

2 hours ago, Twister said:

Last night I had more luck with a combo of Xanax and Benadryl.   Have you ever combined the Ativan and Benadryl? 

Yep, last night I took 50mg of Benedryl and .5 of an Ativan, was only out for 3 hours. Then woke up with night sweats and hard a hard time falling back to sleep. Just popped on a meditation and went in and out for a little bit for a few more hours. 

There's a new sleep med called Belsomra that may help. Some insurance companies don't like to pay for it though. But it worked wonders for me before my insurance yanked coverage for it from under me.

Some of the tricyclic antidepressants are pretty sedating in low doses: amitriptyline (Elavil), nortriptyline (Pamelor) imipramine (Tofranil), especially doxepin (Sinequan/Silenor) and trimipramine (Surmontil). Interesting note about about Surmontil, it actually enhances sleep architecture and increases REM sleep rather than suppressing it like other antidepressants.

Mirtazapine (Remeron) is sedating in low doses (7.5-15 mg), but it is very prone to causing weight gain, so that may be off the table.

Low dose quetiapine (Seroquel) (25-50 mg) is pretty sedating for many.

3 hours ago, mikl_pls said:

There's a new sleep med called Belsomra that may help. Some insurance companies don't like to pay for it though. But it worked wonders for me before my insurance yanked coverage for it from under me.

Some of the tricyclic antidepressants are pretty sedating in low doses: amitriptyline (Elavil), nortriptyline (Pamelor) imipramine (Tofranil), especially doxepin (Sinequan/Silenor) and trimipramine (Surmontil). Interesting note about about Surmontil, it actually enhances sleep architecture and increases REM sleep rather than suppressing it like other antidepressants.

Mirtazapine (Remeron) is sedating in low doses (7.5-15 mg), but it is very prone to causing weight gain, so that may be off the table.

Low dose quetiapine (Seroquel) (25-50 mg) is pretty sedating for many.

Wow thanks!!!! That’s all very helpful stuff! My doc gave me Gabapentin but it didn’t do anything last night. She said to up my dose tonight much higher and see if it makes a difference. If not it will be on to something else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 10:39 AM, Chickenmama said:

Wow thanks!!!! That’s all very helpful stuff! My doc gave me Gabapentin but it didn’t do anything last night. She said to up my dose tonight much higher and see if it makes a difference. If not it will be on to something else. 

Gabapentin does enhance sleep quality insofar as it increases slow wave sleep (I believe), but it doesn't really help you get to sleep any better.

There are better choices for sleep induction than gabapentin.

I am on Trazadone now after having been on Ambien.  Benadryl always worked for me but I don't take it anymore because it has been tentatively linked to senior dementias like Alzheimer's disease.  Since I am 63 years old, this is something I think about.  I have read that Trazadone has been repurposed as a possible treatment for preventing and reversing Alzheimer's disease.  It is too early to know, though, since this effect has only been observed in animal studies.  I have never had problems with Trazadone like the one you mentioned, Chickenmama.  Sometimes it seems to give me a little headache.  I sure hope you find something that helps you.  Insomnia is rough!   - epictetus

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm happy to report Gabapentin is working miracles for me!!! I'm finally sleeping 7-9 hours a night with 600mg of Gabapentin 1-2 hours prior to bedtime. It actually does help me fall asleep as it helps relax me and reduce anxiety which was the main thing keeping me awake. I also take 5mg of melatonin and have been experimenting (with my psychiatrists approval) taking 500mg of L-Tryptophan in the evenings. Holy crap I had forgotten how amazing it feels to get a good nights sleep as I hadn't had one in many months. The less I slept the worse my insomnia, anxiety and depression got and then the harder it was to sleep creating such an awful vicious cycle. Gabapentin for me stopped that pattern and is now helping my brain and body relearn how to sleep regularly at night. I also got an OURA ring that tracks my sleep and I'm not only sleeping through the night but I'm getting lots of deep and REM sleep. I listened to a podcast by Dr. Lindsey Berkson in which she prescribes Gabapentin to her patients who have tried numerous things for insomnia with no luck. She says that Gabapentin for 80% of people it retrains the brain to learn how to sleep. I'm glad I FINALLY found something that works for me. Now of course I know there are issues with being on Gabapentin as it can be difficult for a lot of people to taper off of it, but at this point I don't really give a crap because I'm sleeping! Hooray! 

Edited by 20YearsandCounting
remove link