Issues with Trazadone?

I've been struggling with really bad insomnia for several months. Last night I got 4 hours of sleep even though I took 3 benedryl and lots of meletonin. Doctor has offered me Ambien but I'm very afraid to try it. I had been using hydroxozine but it lost it's effectiveness just like benedryl did. So my other option right now is taking Trazadone. Trazadone has worked to put me to sleep in the past but I get a severely stuffed up nose and it then makes it VERY hard to breath and then increases my anxiety. Does anyone else have this side effect? Is this normal or something to be worried about? 

I desperately need to get some sleep!!! 

9 hours ago, Chickenmama said:

I've been struggling with really bad insomnia for several months. Last night I got 4 hours of sleep even though I took 3 benedryl and lots of meletonin. Doctor has offered me Ambien but I'm very afraid to try it. I had been using hydroxozine but it lost it's effectiveness just like benedryl did. So my other option right now is taking Trazadone. Trazadone has worked to put me to sleep in the past but I get a severely stuffed up nose and it then makes it VERY hard to breath and then increases my anxiety. Does anyone else have this side effect? Is this normal or something to be worried about? 

I desperately need to get some sleep!!! 

I experienced the stuffy nose with Trazodone, also.  It was annoying.  

I wonder if you should go ahead and take the Ativan at night during this process of getting established on the Zoloft.  Poor quality sleep could possibly be exacerbating your anxiety/agitation/restlessness symptoms?  I think you’re right to avoid the Ambien, especially now.   If you know you tolerate Ativan, that may be a safer bet temporarily.  One of the goals of my Zoloft therapy is better sleep and ditching the 0.5 mg Alprazolam I take before bed nightly.  (Which hasn't been very effective as my symptoms have increased) 

12 minutes ago, Twister said:

I experienced the stuffy nose with Trazodone, also.  It was annoying.  

I wonder if you should go ahead and take the Ativan at night during this process of getting established on the Zoloft.  Poor quality sleep could possibly be exacerbating your anxiety/agitation/restlessness symptoms?  I think you’re right to avoid the Ambien, especially now.   If you know you tolerate Ativan, that may be a safer bet temporarily.  One of the goals of my Zoloft therapy is better sleep and ditching the 0.5 mg Alprazolam I take before bed nightly.  (Which hasn't been very effective as my symptoms have increased) 

Thanks for your input. Sorry you deal with the same annoying issue on Traz! 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not to pry into your personal space but what is your routine before bed. I found, and others didnt that getting the stress and anxiety down before sleep helped..... sometimes with a pill I admit, and always with sleeping tablets but Zopiclone, not Traz. I pitmy oil difusser on, a saltlamp and listen to guided meditation, and keep it on all night if required. A white noise generator can help too....

of course its possible that these wont work for your situation but it all helps right?