Sign in to follow this  
cherryvlossom

Depression Hindering Me From Succeeding

Hi all, I'm new here. Recently, I found that my depression was getting harder to manage - I used to be able to function well in school and not let it affect my academics. However, it's starting to feel like it's really taking a toll on me. I have papers that I need to complete yet I have no ounce of energy or motivation to do them. I have midterms coming up and I'm barely even studying for them. I used to always be on top of my work so this is not very me. Do any of you guys have any advice on how to cope? I really don't want to lose myself here.

Hi Cherryvlossom,

I can really empathize with you and what you are going through and it is truly heartbreaking.  Just heartbreaking.    Depression seems to spoil everything it touches.  I was unable to complete my requirements for a PhD because of depression even though I finished nearly all the requirements.   Medication and Cognitive Therapy helped me although please do not think that I am offering this as advice to you.  I am unqualified to give advice.  Hopefully others here will be more helpful to you than I have been.  I am rooting for you!   - epictetus

12 minutes ago, Epictetus said:

Hi Cherryvlossom,

I can really empathize with you and what you are going through and it is truly heartbreaking.  Just heartbreaking.    Depression seems to spoil everything it touches.  I was unable to complete my requirements for a PhD because of depression even though I finished nearly all the requirements.   Medication and Cognitive Therapy helped me although please do not think that I am offering this as advice to you.  I am unqualified to give advice.  Hopefully others here will be more helpful to you than I have been.  I am rooting for you!   - epictetus

Epictetus,

I'm so sorry about that! Depression is so cruel, isn't it? I've been looking into therapy for some time as I'm on medication right now. I think I'm going to reach out to the campus counseling center at my school and see if they can offer some help. Thank you for your help!

Welcome to the group cherry. You are not alone.  i recently heard that one out of every six humans is on medication for anxiety and depression. 

Are you getting enough sleep and do you have a regular bedtime?  Sleep deprivation and disturbance can cause anxiety.  Also, what is your diet like?  Being in school, I imagine you eat a lot on the run. But I just heard on the radio last week that people who eat a Mediterranean diet are less likely to get depression and anxiety.  And that the more junk food you eat the more likely you are to experience depression and anxiety. I have found this to be true for me. To feel my best, i have to avoid caffeine and processed or fast foods.  I also limit sugar intake and white breads and pastas. 

Stress also causes anxiety.  What are you doing to manage the stress of being in school?  When I'm going through a stressful time I have to get out of my own head.  If I just allow my thoughts to run around in my brain, I drive myself crazy.  I found this guy on YouTube, Ravi Zaccharias.  He is a speaker who survived an attempt to take his own life as a young man.  His messages are very thought provoking, especially the one called "The Meaning of Life."

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 6:17 PM, cherryvlossom said:

Hi all, I'm new here. Recently, I found that my depression was getting harder to manage - I used to be able to function well in school and not let it affect my academics. However, it's starting to feel like it's really taking a toll on me. I have papers that I need to complete yet I have no ounce of energy or motivation to do them. I have midterms coming up and I'm barely even studying for them. I used to always be on top of my work so this is not very me. Do any of you guys have any advice on how to cope? I really don't want to lose myself here.

Welcome, to the forum my friend and I hope things begin to get better for you.

I would recommend try not to overload yourself and study in segments maybe

a hour here and a hour there, so that you do not overload yourself and become more

stressful. The key here is to try to stay in control of your surrounds and when you

see things beginning to get out of hand "REST", and come back later to whatever

you were doing.  I wish you nothing but the best of success my friend.