Sign in to follow this  
HL05

How do I know if I have ADD?

Hello,

I was wondering if I have it. I tried getting a test or something from my mental healthcare but for some reason I have not been able to.

I know I have difficulties focussing. I always get distracted and want to do many things at the same time, and when I want something, I want it NOW. I'm unable to keep interested in projects over the long term. For instance, when making games I have to make sure the project is very short, say, I can finish the game in a week or two weeks tops or I will lose motivation to never turn back to the project again. Often because I totally lose motivation and interest and the shinyness has worn off and I'm off to a new idea.

I need - but hate - to work in a controlled environment. Freelancing for example, is probably not for me. I would not be able to work consistently and keep myself motivated and be disciplined. I'm (too much of) a thinking man, but can also be very impulsive. I've worked many factory/warehousing jobs but these jobs were so repetitive in tasks I couldn't take it anymore. Even though I didn't have any money saved, to cover the gap, I'd still quit the job myself. That's how bad it was. I just couldn't mentally handle the endlessness of the tasks. 

I'm actually a creative person. I'd be working and applying to creative jobs if I had the self-esteem to work as a creative professional. I'm also missing several skills required to work as a graphics designer, for which I need to study but you guessed it - no discipline to finish a course nor practise myself. Purchasing the course was easy, with my impulsive mind. Getting excited is easy. But finishing things...

This leaves me thinking I will never amount to be the person I want to be in life. Which fuels my depression even more and gives me suicidal thoughts.

Anyway back on track, what do you guys think?

Regards

Just gonna say this real quick: I'm not diagnosed either, but I'm pretty sure I have ADHD. I have a lot of the same symptoms, including increased hyperactivity and attention deficiency which is the suckiest thing ever. I'm no doctor, but I think you may also have ADHD. My friend is on medication, and I don't recommend it, as it slows your heart rate down a little, relaxing you, but also causing drowsiness. I don't take medicine (I despise pills), I just make my best attempts at staying away from coffee, chocolate, and anything with a lot of sugar. Anyways, cheers, and you got it :)