Donate Now Read more... ×
Natasha1

Career Change? Anyone?

So i always say i have the best job in the world since i love to teach and i love kids. But something in me wants something completely new.

I am thinking about becoming a Health Care Aid. 25 week program without a job guarantee. But do i really want to? I will disappoint a lot of kids who really like me. Some of them get huge smiles on their faces once i come out of my room to greet them.

What if the risk i take isnt worth it? The kids will have moved on too.

What if i miss it and them too much?

What if i was born to do this?

What if i was born to do the other? 

I dont even know if the training is doable financially.

I really dont know what to do. 

What would you do?

Do you have a job youd like to change to but the fear is in the way?

I should add that im afraid my condition wont be ideal, hurt someones feelings, make me unable to do the job...i might break down...who am i kidding right? I cant do it. I want to help people. Im too old. Theyd never hire me as theyd look for stability and the lifer type.

Yes, I’m Substitute Teaching on my off

days from the hospital and I’m trying 

to change to  a new professions in 

Pastoral Care as a Hospice Chaplain.  It

is kind of scary because I have been at

the hospital over 17 years.  However,

if we never move from a comfort zone 

we will never know what else we could 

have accomplished in life.  Also anything 

that is worth having will cause for a

sacrifice of some kind.  Go for it 

7 hours ago, Natasha1 said:

Do you have a job youd like to change to but the fear is in the way

Heck yeah! Probably the reason everyone stays stuck...

On matters practical, I'm afraid I have more questions than answers.  You might look at a couple things.  Financially, can you afford to do it?  What is your safety net?  For that matter, is this something you can comfortably discuss with your current employer?

I gave up a TV station job years ago to "move up," as is common in that business.  I was valued there and was told if the new one didn't work out, I was welcome back any time.  In fact, the new job was hell and I did go back to the old one.

The other consideration is to get a feel for your new career.  Having had a home healthcare aide attending to Mom the past month, I can tell you that dealing with matters such as elderly personal hygiene are not glamorous.  Point is, have you spoken to those who've spent time in the field to get a realistic assessment?

I actually did it while caring for my dying father. I know its not glamourous. And when you see the bed sores it makes me feel so awful that people have to go through that. But i want to help people. Want to make their last days count. Make others quality of life better through skills i have. I waNt to be there for people.

I am my own employer. Once i get rid of my clients i would  be starting over as they will move on if it doesnt work out.

Its not going to work out. I already know this. But not for the reasons you have outlined. 

I hav e thought of some things...i think this is a mid life crisis...have some things to sort out but im putting together a plan.

" 25 week program without a job guarantee." Is there training sponsorship for the program in your local area/country? Do you know of hospitals that are hiring healthcare aid? Don't think smaller clinics can afford to

You may want something new because you want to help make other peoples quality of life better, but unless the financial earnings are high enough to consider switching from your teaching job, the jump is not advisable.

Nursing Assistant is awesome I have 

done it on the side at the hospital for 

the last 15 years and you probably will 

never find a job as rewarding as taking 

care of the sick.  The one thing that stands 

out to me when taking care of the elderly 

is they are always concerned about you

as a person and wants to know how you

are doing despite their life threatening 

illness they are concerned about you

as a person.  I miss my patients bed side 

care.  I now take care of their family 

members needs instead of doing bed 

side care.  It takes special people to be 

a Nurse Assistant and to want to look

out for the welfare of the sick 

Hi Natasha! 

Been at my former job for 11 years and didn't want to leave.  They did it for me lol. You won't ever know how it will turn out, until you're doing it.  

Can you go to the program and still have classes? Or is that too much, with studying and stuff?

You said the kids will move on but they will either way.  And, rather you leave it and come back or stay, you will new sets of kids, right?

Missed you!

Missed you too. Wondered where you went.

Thing is it takes time to build up your studio. Replacing 5 spots is different than 40 know what i mean?

To complicate things, a whole new opportunity has come up and i dont know what to do.

F$%^

And s$%^ is hitting the fan with our household income. Things are about to possibly go bad.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, Natasha1 said:

So i always say i have the best job in the world since i love to teach and i love kids. But something in me wants something completely new.

I am thinking about becoming a Health Care Aid. 25 week program without a job guarantee. But do i really want to? I will disappoint a lot of kids who really like me. Some of them get huge smiles on their faces once i come out of my room to greet them.

What if the risk i take isnt worth it? The kids will have moved on too.

What if i miss it and them too much?

What if i was born to do this?

What if i was born to do the other? 

I dont even know if the training is doable financially.

I really dont know what to do. 

What would you do?

Do you have a job youd like to change to but the fear is in the way?

What I would recommend is looking into the job openings for health care aids where you are, and what the job would entail.  In the US, the Beauro of Labor Statistics has a helpful website for that, and other countries probably have something similar.  Also definitely look for scholarships and/or grants to cover the cost.  

If being a health care aid is reasonably sound careerwise, and is something you want to do, go for it!  Being an admin on a mental health site would definitely help, and Lindsay could probably put in a good word for you as well.

I wish you the best of luck.  

- Wizardwarrior

Well, said my friend it is always a good 

thing to see what the demands are 

In your surrounding area so you would 

know rather or not it’s a sound move to

make.  Good luck my friend in what ever 

decission you come to I’m sure you will 

do well at it