Dealing with middle of the night insomnia

billyg

Hi,

I am new here and I wanted some idea regarding your experiences. I will be very brief. I am 40 yo male. I was on Brintellix (trintellix in US) for 6 months which helped significantly with my MDD. But one thing that I had and does not go away is middle of the night insomnia. I wake up after 3 hrs of sleep in the best case, and then I stay awake for 3hrs on average. I have no sleep anxiety at all. I just wake up suddenly and cannot get back to it even though I am relaxed. My Dr suggested mirtazapine and I tried it but I would like to try other methods first. I plan to have sleep study btw even though I do not believe it will show sth. thanks!

I had the same problem with Trintellix

I would wake wake up in about 3 hours 

but would be very functional in the

morning with little sleep 😴.  Try playing 

with the time you take it and see will

that help you any.  I got change from it

because my insurance would not pay for 

it.  I’m on 20 mg Celexa now 

Welcome billyg! So sorry that you are having sleep issues on top of depression. I can relate to that also. That can be so frustrating. However, now I am on Latuda and sleep great. Trazadone has helped previously. Hope you find the support you need here. We work hard at it but sometimes it takes some time to respond. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Welcome billyg. Early morning awakening is common (almost diagnostic) for MDD. Sorry you are having trouble. I've had trouble sleeping more than 5 hours for many years, but at least I can nap, so that helps. For many people, Trazadone seems to be helpful. I do hope you find something that works. 

Thank you all for your responses. It is always nice to hear from people that have the same troubles as you. I wish you also well.

@Floor2017:  One question no related to sleep. I will actually move to the US this January and I was wondering If I can get Trintellix there. I noticed that you said it depends on your insurance. Here in Europe they are very cheap btw ~50 cents per 20mg pill even w/o prescription/insurance. So I can stack up if needed 🙂

On 9/18/2018 at 2:33 AM, billyg said:

Hi,

I am new here and I wanted some idea regarding your experiences. I will be very brief. I am 40 yo male. I was on Brintellix (trintellix in US) for 6 months which helped significantly with my MDD. But one thing that I had and does not go away is middle of the night insomnia. I wake up after 3 hrs of sleep in the best case, and then I stay awake for 3hrs on average. I have no sleep anxiety at all. I just wake up suddenly and cannot get back to it even though I am relaxed. My Dr suggested mirtazapine and I tried it but I would like to try other methods first. I plan to have sleep study btw even though I do not believe it will show sth. thanks!

I wake up most nights at 3 or 4. It's adding to my craziness. I can't be rational because I can't get sleep. In my case, I am waking with anxiety but I have anxiety all day long. I've been thinking of trying a meditation app. In my case, my thoughts are just getting more and more frenzied. But regardless, waking in the middle of the night sucks.

23 hours ago, billyg said:

Thank you all for your responses. It is always nice to hear from people that have the same troubles as you. I wish you also well.

@Floor2017:  One question no related to sleep. I will actually move to the US this January and I was wondering If I can get Trintellix there. I noticed that you said it depends on your insurance. Here in Europe they are very cheap btw ~50 cents per 20mg pill even w/o prescription/insurance. So I can stack up if needed 🙂

Trintellix here in the US cost about 280.00 dollars for 30 pills, it really works good but

I just could not afford them so I had to go back to Celexa.  I hope you can still take them

once you move to the US