Nihil14

Scared to try cymbalta and Xanax benzos

Hello I recently was prescribed cymbalta. Last year I’ve had chronic anxiety, panic, depression and paranoia. I’ve always had depression and anxiety but they worsened as I started having physical pains and illness that doctors have yet to pinpoint. I’m 28 years old and I’m unable to work with constant cold numb pains in body, dizziness, lightheaded and often pain in left chest, fear of dying. I’m saying this cause I’m afraid if I take this pill it could cause more dizzy vertigo, floaty outta touch and create more anxiety and paranoia as I love having control of body and can’t let go. I was also prescribed Xanax but haven’t taken it as docs gave me lorezepam in hospital year ago and I just felt tired and anxiety but no relief and tried for days and worry taking another benzo could harm me. I am and chronically fatigued and this could be even more counterproductive. Also I’m curious if each benzo hehaves different and why I’d be given one if they did nothing in past? Also if I’d took for a few weeks in past and stopped a year ago would starting a benzo again now for few days have increased risk of physical dependence or once it’s cleared and body healed am I in clear? Like I said the physical pain has made me paranoid and I traditionally hate drugs and feeling different aside from occasional alcohol and coffee in moderation 

Also I’m gonna be blunt. Ability to enjoy sexual things even when alone and single is one of few escapes and doc said he doesn’t care about sexual side effects if I’m single as if he’s some prude. What’s the effect of these on sex. Haven’t had sex in 2 years but self love is a thing people overlook

On 9/16/2018 at 1:04 AM, Nihil14 said:

Hello I recently was prescribed cymbalta. Last year I’ve had chronic anxiety, panic, depression and paranoia. I’ve always had depression and anxiety but they worsened as I started having physical pains and illness that doctors have yet to pinpoint. I’m 28 years old and I’m unable to work with constant cold numb pains in body, dizziness, lightheaded and often pain in left chest, fear of dying. I’m saying this cause I’m afraid if I take this pill it could cause more dizzy vertigo, floaty outta touch and create more anxiety and paranoia as I love having control of body and can’t let go. I was also prescribed Xanax but haven’t taken it as docs gave me lorezepam in hospital year ago and I just felt tired and anxiety but no relief and tried for days and worry taking another benzo could harm me. I am and chronically fatigued and this could be even more counterproductive. Also I’m curious if each benzo hehaves different and why I’d be given one if they did nothing in past? Also if I’d took for a few weeks in past and stopped a year ago would starting a benzo again now for few days have increased risk of physical dependence or once it’s cleared and body healed am I in clear? Like I said the physical pain has made me paranoid and I traditionally hate drugs and feeling different aside from occasional alcohol and coffee in moderation 

I feel you. I don't think all benzos are the same, but I'm pretty sure Xanax is one with a bad reputation, so it might be better to try something milder.

Have you gotten your thyroid checked? That could be why you feel sick and have pain. I remember when my thyroid went wrong. I had muscle and bone pain all day, every day, with coldness, dizziness and chest pain. Thyroid hormone pills usually help a lot with that, because if your thyroid isn't working properly, nothing in your body will be quite right. Or it could be an autoimmune problem. You'll have to do some research on autoimmune problems and be firm with your doctor, though. Doctors often don't diagnose autoimmune issues quickly or well because they can be hard to pin down.

Here's a page about hypothyroidism, which might help you pinpoint what's wrong if you have any of these symptoms:

http://www.sarahwilson.com/2012/10/this-is-what-a-thyroid-day-looks-like/

On 9/16/2018 at 1:07 AM, Nihil14 said:

Also I’m gonna be blunt. Ability to enjoy sexual things even when alone and single is one of few escapes and doc said he doesn’t care about sexual side effects if I’m single as if he’s some prude. What’s the effect of these on sex. Haven’t had sex in 2 years but self love is a thing people overlook

Your doctor shouldn't get to tell you what is and isn't important to you. Also, the implication that you only get to have that function of your own body if it's for another person is backwards.

Dont be overly scared of Cymbalta, they all work on us in different ways. I tried everything and in combinations, and cymbalta worked on my anxiety and depression. I was married in an abusive relationship so my sex drive was gone to the wind but coukd always self help on cymbalta. It also reduces chronic oain and is prescribed for this too.

Dont get me wrong I dont like drugs, I’m just answering how this one effected me. Im considering presently having a genetic compatability test done, which will show which drugs you will respond to for various conditions, but even this cannot predict side effects of the drugs.

in the past 6 months, after 4 years of mostly sucess in keeping me sane, the cymbalta seems to have reduced efficiency but I am on duloxetine itself now, and who knows what goes into the generic capsules.

sorry for the ramblings, but its my experience, hope it help you

Posted (edited)

I have been on Cymbalta for exactly two years.  Less side effects  than other meds.  

Edited by duck

If he wants to put you on a benzo I'd ask about something longer-acting like Klonopin that'll provide all-day relief. Xanax is more suitable for the occasional panic attack... Or perhaps try a non-benzo anxiolytic first such as BuSpar or Vistaril. They all make you a little tired when you start taking them but your body will adjust so it's not something I'd worry about too much. Anxiety itself can be very exhausting so assuming everything else checks out fine (i.e. thyroids as suggested by @MargotMontage, blood sugar, etc.) then it might be the underlying cause for your fatigue. 

Sexual side-effects aren't guaranteed, I've been on plenty of different antidepressants and benzos in the past and none impacted my sex-drive whatsoever. Only way to find out is to try. 

Clonamezepan or Klonopin are great for anxiety in my opinion, taken with cymbalta. I dont like taking any drugs but I relenquish my desires over my abilities. I need these right now. Try them, if they work good, if not try something else. Dont stress over the sex side of things yet, you need to stabilise you first, then just add Viagara to the list, if required. Myopinion its not required but depends on how you are stimulated byyour oartner. Believe me if you are less depressed you will be better stimulated.