Donate Now Read more... ×

Since this is a forum about depression. I have a friend and she's 26, some people said that she's suffering from depression because she seems down. I want to know what are the real causes of it in order to help her.

Hi David, thank you for reaching out on behalf of your Friend. I hope she is coping ok.  I think it’s very hard to say what is the real cause for depression. Most of the time different people are triggered by different things or events or past experiences in their life which cause them to be depressed. Peharps it’s good to have a word with your Friend to let her know that you are concerned of her well being and is willing to listen if she is ready to talk about it. This is one way to show support for friends who you think they might be depressed. Hope this helps. GOd bless.. 

A lot of time depression occurs from financial circumstances or related situations, like job loss. Unfortunately to help her you gotta be prepared to loan her money while letting her take as long as she can to repay (Do not do this if she's a compulsive gambler)

Welcome to DF David.  Clinical depression, as is more typically discussed here, is more than just "a case of the blues."  For those of us with it, it's consuming and often overwhelming.  Any clinical diagnosis would be made by a professional such as a therapist or psychiatrist.

Generally speaking, I prefer to see it as situational, biochemical/physiological, or a combination of both.  As I've observed my own depression, it's a bit of a catch-22.

Situationally,  as someone pointed out, it could have to do with something like finances or a job or a personal loss (divorce, death, etc.).  I don't think any of us are qualified or wise enough to give anything more than suggestions on those issues, certainly not specific advice.  More often we'll just share our own experiences.  Biochemically/physiologically, some of us are predisposed to it and that description is best left to a Google search on the subject.  It can get incredibly complicated.

Of course I don't know your friend's situation.  As someone suggested, you might mention your concern to her and willingness to listen.  Pressuring her, however, may incline her to withdraw further.   If you think it's appropriate, heck, you might even mention DF.

You might notice if she's let her appearance go, doesn't eat, isolates, has difficulty maintaining her home, doesn't respond to calls/texts.  Taken alone, none is a red flag.  We've a lot of experience among us and plenty of folks will chime in.  Red flags would be things like cutting, new or worsening alcohol and/or drug use, or indications she wanted to harm herself.

Please keep posting.

Edited by MarkintheDark