Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) experiences

ladysmurf

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this forum, so I'll give a few words to introduce myself. I'm 71 years old and have been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was a child. Over the past 35 years, I've tried therapy, medications, exercise, and meditation. None of these things have had much effect. I still wake up each morning feeling overwhelmed with anxiety and depression. Somehow, I get through each day. Most of my friends know that I deal with depression and anxiety, but they have no idea of just how much I'm suffering. I live alone, I am able to take care of myself, and my financial situation is stable. suffer from persistent fatigue, which makes

Several months ago, I completed a 36-treatment course of TMS treatments. I was lucky that they were covered by Medicare. Each treatment consisted of two parts: the first 15 minutes was a series of constant pulses to the right side of my head. It felt like a woodpecker pecking at my head. It was  mildly uncomfortable, but not really painful. The second part of the treatment lasted 5 minutes and consisted of a series of intermittent pulses applied to the left side of my head.

When I started the TMS treatments, I was very hopeful. Unfortunately, TMS had had no benefit for me. At this point, I feel I have run out of options.

17 minutes ago, blixman said:

I'm new to this forum, so I'll give a few words to introduce myself. I'm 71 years old and have been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was a child. Over the past 35 years, I've tried therapy, medications, exercise, and meditation. None of these things have had much effect. I still wake up each morning feeling overwhelmed with anxiety and depression. Somehow, I get through each day. Most of my friends know that I deal with depression and anxiety, but they have no idea of just how much I'm suffering. I live alone, I am able to take care of myself, and my financial situation is stable. suffer from persistent fatigue, which makes

Several months ago, I completed a 36-treatment course of TMS treatments. I was lucky that they were covered by Medicare. Each treatment consisted of two parts: the first 15 minutes was a series of constant pulses to the right side of my head. It felt like a woodpecker pecking at my head. It was  mildly uncomfortable, but not really painful. The second part of the treatment lasted 5 minutes and consisted of a series of intermittent pulses applied to the left side of my head.

When I started the TMS treatments, I was very hopeful. Unfortunately, TMS had had no benefit for me. At this point, I feel I have run out of options.

you can look into ketamine infusions.., but i think that costs a lot and not sure medicare will cover it...or spravato (the spray)

im in a similar situation...nothing helps and been battling since a kid.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, James Blond said:

yes it has helped me a LOT, no side effects that I was aware of, and it's not so scary once you have a treatment. 

But just like ECT it doesn't last forever -- at least not for me.  I need to have more like once a year. 

How often did you have it? and did it help with anxiety? or just depression? thank you letting us know..

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2021 at 11:23 AM, Nightjar said:

Did you say you were in line to try this @ladysmurf? When will you be starting? 

Yes i am waiting for the insurance and that stuff to go through if it all works out, the doctor wants me to try it ..I guess it's more advanced than when it first came out they told me...that more and more people are doing it... I did look it up online, its used more now than it was when it first came now, and i did see some studies were it did help patients feel better, so we will see. If I end up doing it I will keep you guys posted on my results/experiences/ etc,

35 minutes ago, ladysmurf said:

Yes i am waiting for the insurance and that stuff to go through if it all works out, the doctor wants me to try it ..I guess it's more advanced than when it first came out they told me...that more and more people are doing it... I did look it up online, its used more now than it was when it first came now, and i did see some studies were it did help patients feel better, so we will see. If I end up doing it I will keep you guys posted on my results/experiences/ etc,

Yes, definitely keep us posted. It's really helpful for everyone to hear about different treatments 👏 And of course, we would love it if it made you feel better 🙌

22 hours ago, Nightjar said:

I really hope you get some good results ladysmurf 🙏

Thank you ...I hope so too...I'm looking at DBS deep brain stimulation as well...I have read at people in my situation who don't respond to anything sometimes result to that..

I had a good experience. It helped lessen symptoms of depression for me for sure. I'm now more stable (not totally though) and can at least be out of bed for all/most of the day. As for anxiety, one side effect was it increased at first while my brain was just getting adjusted to the treatment. But after 2 weeks it went back to normal levels. 

Finished mine a couple months ago, so we will see if i need to do more sessions or not. in my opinion, it's worth trying if you can. If it does, great. If it doesn't, at least you won't have to wonder.

Best of luck! I hope your experience will be good as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Have been on all kinds of meds for years. Nothing ever really worked. TMS was suggested and it looked like a great option and I was very optimistic.

I went through the treatment and saw no improvement. I hope you have a different outcome.

I then decided to get off all meds as they never seemed to help. I've been off for about a year and feel pretty good. Still dealing with depression, but feel better off the meds. I think they were actually making things worse.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, sonrise said:

Have been on all kinds of meds for years. Nothing ever really worked. TMS was suggested and it looked like a great option and I was very optimistic.

I went through the treatment and saw no improvement. I hope you have a different outcome.

I then decided to get off all meds as they never seemed to help. I've been off for about a year and feel pretty good. Still dealing with depression, but feel better off the meds. I think they were actually making things worse.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

I sure hope it has some result for me, I am so sorry it didn't help you.. I can't take this anymore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/22/2022 at 4:19 PM, evalynn said:

Were you ever able to get the treatment? Does anyone else have any experiences with this? My pdoc just suggested it. 

yes, it didn't have any result for me. other people i met in the clinic didn't have good results either, i think i met one person who did, but it's worth looking into, everyone is different and reacts different. so i hope it helps you if you are looking into it 🙂

9 hours ago, John_in_SF said:

Have you tried the psychedelic treatments (ketamine and now psilocybin)?

Hi,

I think that's the next step I will be discussing with  my doctor ...ketamine infusions