Sign in to follow this  
fridaconchita

Recently Diagnosed

Hello All

I was diagnosed less than a week ago. The diagnosis given was Depression with Bipolar One. I was given several medications to start and will be seen next week to see how I am doing on them. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of family support so I chose not to tell them about my diagnosis or my meds. Is there anyone in a similar situation?

Yes, I’m in a similar situation that nobody wants to believe that anything is wrong with me and they don’t want me to tell any of my family members probably due to stereotyping and people trying to make fun of me.  It hurts when you can not share your problems with other people and family members out of being looked down upon.

I pray that all goes well for you and your new medication helps to give you the comfort you rightfully deserves.

Welcome! This is a supportive community that understands what you are going through. So keep coming back, read other posts, and keep posting. I have family and a few friends who just don't get depression as an illness. They just think it is like normal sadness over a situation like other people have. You are not alone. Hang in there.

Hi Frida and a very warm welcome to DF 

Thank you for reaching out to us, this is a very welcoming forum with supportive members, a lot of whom can relate to what your going through. 

Im sorry to hear about the lack of support from your family, please know that you have a safe space here to share. 

How are you finding the medication so far? 

Warm wishes 

Leila

I say you don't have to tell them, at least not now.  But you do need a support system.  As long as you stay with your counselor and meds you'll be in a position to get stronger.  Some people aren't safe so you have to first determine whether or not your family is in a good place to hear it and can be supportive otherwise you will be making more problems for yourself.  Only lean on strong, safe people.  Prayers for your healing journey...