Sign in to follow this  
Helen Andrews

Getting Older and Depressed

I would like to hear from other members who are over 70 and dealing with depression and the difficulties of growing older.  I would especially like to hear from Knitter who wrote about this a few years ago.  Thank you.

Edited by Helen Andrews

I’m definitely in the getting old category (but not over 70, sorry) and it makes life extra hard and tiring especially with depression. On the other hand I have gained more wisdom and it may feel like I’m dealing with the same issues again and again yet really I’m just higher up on the spiral staircase called growing in life and being all I am meant to be. 

Not over 70  but just turned 50 and I can relate to the "getting older, getting more depressed" theme. I worry about the future...not just my own, but the world in general. I often regret having a child... what sort of nightmare is he going to inherit ☹️

Welcome to DF, Helen.  I'd like to hear more of your story.

Early 60s here and it's an odd dichotomy for me on many levels.  Whatever I always thought this age was SUPPOSED to be like, it ain't.  I don't have an insatiable urge for golf.  For that matter, unlike many of my friends, I don't have kids or grandkids.  Mentally, I feel like I never developed beyond 30-ish.  I relate better to those in their 50s.

I had a bit of a shock that I suddenly qualify for my Social Security and I'm holding it off as long as possible.

otoh, @BeyondWeary pointed out and I agree, I enjoy what little so-called wisdom I've acquired.  I chalk it up to experience instead of any great insights.  I've also found I'm learning things the past few years, particularly vocabulary, I think most people have figured out in their 20s or 30s.  I do, however, get a laugh out of the 20-somethings who think they have it ALL figured out.  Instead of not trusting anyone over 30, it's more like I don't trust anyone UNDER 30.

Complicating things, I've had a chronic medical condition the past 25+ years that makes me more susceptible to age-related illness such as organ inflammation and rheumatoid.  But my genetics give me an appearance of someone in his late 40s.

What's bothering me lately is that in just about a year - 9/29/19 to be exact, yes I looked it up - I'll be the same age as Dad when he died.  More and more I find I'm comparing myself to him at this age and feel like a failure.

Edited by MarkintheDark

2 hours ago, MarkintheDark said:

Complicating things, I've had a chronic medical condition the past 25+ years that makes me more susceptible to age-related illness such as organ inflammation and rheumatoid.  But my genetics give me an appearance of someone in his late 40s.

We are in similar situations. People often remark that I look young for someone pushing 60. Well, that's fine, except my innards are slowly being eaten up by a genetic disease that I inherited from my mom's side of the family. My brother did not inherit it (there's a 50-50 chance of getting it if a parent has it; he "lost" and I "won"). As usual, I'm "lucky" in the unluckiest sense.

i am now 73. i have tried 25 different meds. i have had depression for 27 years. i have lately been going to a psy nurse practictioner. i am ready to quite them all. i did get a good laugh last time. she suggested i use medical cannibis. thats funny because it is iligal in my state and i would have to break the law to get it. never broke the law in my life. should i do it? does anyone know if it works? am i to old for this sh-- ?  

Hi knitter. I'm sorry you are suffering. I'm part of the AARP crowd as well. It is ridiculous that cannibis is illegal (but that's a different discussion). My therapist had hinted at using it for my anxiety. Have you looked into CBD oil? Some people here may have some experience.   Best wishes

Hi. I'm not quite 60 yet, but I understand your dilemma. It seems that when we have more life behind us than before us, I tend to look back on life instead of looking forward. It's more pressing at this stage that we find ourselves in the place we imagined we would be in this part of our lives. We don't bounce back like we used to, we don't remember things like we used to, and our hobbies are more low impact than they were. I agree, it's tough.

3 hours ago, knitter said:

i am now 73. i have tried 25 different meds. i have had depression for 27 years. i have lately been going to a psy nurse practictioner. i am ready to quite them all. i did get a good laugh last time. she suggested i use medical cannibis. thats funny because it is iligal in my state and i would have to break the law to get it. never broke the law in my life. should i do it? does anyone know if it works? am i to old for this sh-- ?  

I went through a gamut of meds and strengths also. I didn't like the side effects and after effects so I dumped them all. I agree about the medical MJ. It's illegal in this state for another year, and I will pursue it when it is legally available. Decades (many decades) ago in school I used it, and it made a difference. I was more interactive and creative. I was a light user, but I did notice the heavy users were an entirely different set of people.

I sometimes wish i could have some thc. I havent touched it since the early 80's, but i seem to recall a nice calming effect that id certainly welcome once in a while. However my job does drug testing and i have an aversion to jail. Maybe some day....