Sign in to follow this  
Amy1984

Lost

Hi Amy1984,

That is a great question - the answer for which varies across people.  There are certain behaviors that can help such as improving and/or maintaining physical health, pushing yourself to do things that were at least pleasurable at one time (even if you don't feel like it), and challenging negative thoughts should they arise.  There are certainly treatment options that can help with these behaviors like psychotherapy, as well as a wide range of medications should someone deem these a useful and warranted treatment.  Posting here on DF is a method of seeking social support, which can be of tremendous benefit to the process, whether or not you're engaged in other forms of treatment.  

Should you find yourself stuck and the personal behaviors become difficult, there is no harm in seeking a consultation regarding therapy and/or medications.  You are always free to decide whether or not to undergo the recommended treatment and to ask as many questions necessary to aid in that decision-making process.  Ultimately, the answer to the question for you, specifically, will take some trial-and-error.  But there will be a method or combination thereof that will lead to the light at the end of the tunnel we call depression.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.  I appreciate your post and hope to hear more from you - hang in there!

Hi Amy1984! That is a good question and I wish I had a good answer. I think that having a good therapist and a good psychiatrist are important to start with and this forum is great. Just keep posting and reading as it helps me to be more realistic with my situation and my feelings as well as my limitations. 

If doctors knew, they might finally be able to fix it  🙂  there are so many factors to depression.  It can be from a traumatic event to just misfiring brain chemistry. I think some people are born prone to depression.  The wonders of the human mind. 

It’s sadly different for everyone Amy. Many might say that working out helps, but that can have the opposite effect on others. I have found a few things that help me cope, but that’s all they do, cope. I’m sti as depressed as I have been for these past 4 years.

I wish you well Amy. Living with depression is so painful.

The above is good advice. The basic answer to your question is hard work, and force yourself to keep at it. It may subside for a while, then come back regardless of the work you put in. Sorry, life is a little harder for us, but you have lots of company...and i think we're a more compassionate bunch.

Steve