1. 1. How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • 5 weeks
    • 6+ weeks
    • Never

Today marks (3) wks on the Cymbalta 60mg. I went back to my PDoc today. Because I have seen some improvement in the last week with my depressive symptoms, she determined we would give it another (3) wks before deciding to increase the dosage. I asked her why she would jump from 60 to 120mg without at least trying the 90mg. Her reasoning is that if an increase is warranted, why let the patient suffer while waiting on the 90mg, and then if more is needed, the patient then has to wait even longer while waiting for the good effects of the 120mg. Her reasoning is that go ahead and up it to 120mg (should not see anymore side effects than with the 90mg). If the patient is maintaining and has positive effects with the 120mg, then you could experiment with backing it down some. If you see the depressive symptoms increasing, then it doesn't take as long to get you back where you need to be. I hope this made sense...

She told me if I personally felt more comfortable just increasing to 90mg, it would be okay too. She stated that part of complete treatment with an AD is for the patient to feel totally comfortable with what they are taking. She said if I was going to be worried about the increase all the way to 120mg all at once, it might defeat the purpose, because I would be consciously looking for side effects, which does make sense to me!

so at day 21, I continue to feel improvement, but am still troubled with obsessive thoughts of the ex, which my PDoc attributes to my OCD. Currently I am not experiencing any other symptoms from the OCD. (I think I would rather have other symptoms though) I believe that while on Prozac the OCD symptoms were better managed, even though it gave out with my depressive symptoms. My PDoc stated she has seen better results for the OCD with the higher dosage of Cymbalta, so it may be in order for me to be increasing to 120mg in a few weeks, we shall see.

I am sure hoping that I will continue to see positive effects, and that these positive effects will last, and not give out in a couple months, like everything else did. I just need some energy and a walk-in freezer to step into while I do my hair and makeup each morning to ward off the sweating caused by the Cymbalta!

Good deal Purz. It sounds like you have a very thoughtful PDoc. Don't hesitate keeping us posted on your response to the upped dosage.

I see my PDoc tomorrow. I have a feeling he's going to want to up me to 120mg as well. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Only because I don't feel I've responded as well as you have and it's been over 2 months since I started on Cymbalta.

Good deal Purz. It sounds like you have a very thoughtful PDoc. Don't hesitate keeping us posted on your response to the upped dosage.

I see my PDoc tomorrow. I have a feeling he's going to want to up me to 120mg as well. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Only because I don't feel I've responded as well as you have and it's been over 2 months since I started on Cymbalta.

When you see your pdoc again make sure to reiterate to him/her that you've had nothing but bad side effects, and haven't felt any positive side effects. Good luck!!

Purz - sounds like you're doing well with Cymbalta so far! I hope it continues to work well for you!

Will do. Thnx Rosebee! I see him in a few hours. It's rubber meets the road time. Today marks exactly 9 weeks since starting Cymbalta. I've marked this all down to talk to him about it. 9 weeks since taking my first dose at 30mg. 8 weeks since going up to 60mg. 4 weeks since going up to 90 mg. Strangely, the first few weeks I didn't feel ANY effects(good or bad) whatsoever. The middle weeks were absolutely horrendous. And now these last couple of weeks, it appears that some of the extreme agitation SEs have subsided, but the depression has even remotely lifted. If I use Tim52's measuring stick of 30% being a minimal encouraging response...no way. If I've felt 10% better it's only because the SEs have died down. I'm not the Dr.....but it is my body. And I think this experiment moving from Effexor(tried Lexapro for a bit before Cymbalta) back in March has not been a success in any stretch of my imagination. I've essentially just lost another 6 months of my life(the quaility of it anyway) due to my mental health...trying to live through this latest nightmare.

Will do. Thnx Rosebee! I see him in a few hours. It's rubber meets the road time. Today marks exactly 9 weeks since starting Cymbalta. I've marked this all down to talk to him about it. 9 weeks since taking my first dose at 30mg. 8 weeks since going up to 60mg. 4 weeks since going up to 90 mg. Strangely, the first few weeks I didn't feel ANY effects(good or bad) whatsoever. The middle weeks were absolutely horrendous. And now these last couple of weeks, it appears that some of the extreme agitation SEs have subsided, but the depression has even remotely lifted. If I use Tim52's measuring stick of 30% being a minimal encouraging response...no way. If I've felt 10% better it's only because the SEs have died down. I'm not the Dr.....but it is my body. And I think this experiment moving from Effexor(tried Lexapro for a bit before Cymbalta) back in March has not been a success in any stretch of my imagination. I've essentially just lost another 6 months of my life(the quaility of it anyway) due to my mental health...trying to live through this latest nightmare.

Midagedad: What did your PDoc say??? 9 wks sure seems like a long time with no more improvement than you have seen! Hope it went well today!

It was a pretty "intense" discussion. I actually had written down my most objective observations of my response(lack of) and SEs since transitioning from the Lexapro 9 weeks ago. We discussed many options such as....going back to the Effexor(which as I've said before in hindsight, I wish I never stopped at this point)...Prozac...the new MAOI "emsam patch"...adding Wellbutrin to the current mix, etc. However, after discussing in detail not only my written down observations, but also my notorious "slow response rate" in general to anything that I've taken historically since starting with Prozac back in 97'...along with my general impatience overall right now, the long and short of it at the end was this....it has now been exactly 4 weeks since upping from 60mg to 90 mg...and as of about 2 weeks ago, the intense anxiety part of my symptoms have somewhat subsided(I did have that written down). Since the anxiety part of the equation is usually the first to subside before the depression with this type of med, there is a "fair" chance that the 90mg is possibly the "therapeutic dosage"...and it might take another few weeks(I see him again in 3 weeks) for it to take full effect. In the meantime, he upped me to 120mg as well. While of course I am still frustrated/depressed/impatient and everything else under the sun, I have to admit that I agree with his reasoning. So, it's another 3 weeks...and an increase to 120mg. He said only if I feel a fair amount of relief to the depression by then(similar to Tim's 30%) will he suggest adding something like Wellbutrin to the mix. If things don't change, then it's back to square one. I'm not sure how your PDocs work, but everytime I see him he has me rate my "mood" on a 1 - 10 scale. When he looked back on my last year of Effexor he noted that I was rating my moods relatively low, so he is apprehensive about trying the Effexor again if we are back to square one. That being said, my take on it is that since I hadn't had a major depressive episode since starting the Effexor in 2000...until AFTER weaning off of the Effexor, I've been painfully reminded of how bad it can really be...so, my take is that the ratings of my moods last year were a bit skewed in comparison to what I've been through these past 6 months! If I have to make a switch, I feel strongly about trying the Effexor again.

I guess it's another 3 weeks of grinding it out. Uggh...

MidAgeDad:

Thanks for the report. As you can tell, several of us are interested (and rooting for you). I understand your frustration. The meds when they work are wonderful but they are often slow, quirky and downright tempermental. You were clearly very prepared for the appointment and your conversation covered lots of ground and possibilities. Your doctor is careful. I understand that he wants Cymbalta to be given the full ride. I'm pretty sure that you won't experience much in the way of side effects by going up to 120, at least nothing new or intense. At least that was my experience going from 60 to 90. Really didn't both me that much (other than the slightly buzzed/anxious feeling).

So, 21 more days. Take a deep breath. Plan ahead of how you can take care of yourself. And best wishes.

And keep posting.

tim

Oh, the 1-10 scale is so subjective. I know docs use it to get something other than "feelings" into the discussion but I'm often all over the map. I really think hard when someone asks that. And am never satisfied with the number I give.

Edited by Tim 52

It does sound like your pdoc is being very thorough MidAgeDad.

My pdoc doesn't do the mood on a scale of 1-10 thing, I've never heard of that until now (for pain yes, but not mood). My pdoc just has me talk about overall how I'm feeling what symptoms I'm feeling, how often I'm feeling them, etc. He does ask me how much improved I feel, as a percentage increase.

Hopefully those 3 weeks of the 120mg will go by quickly, and you'll start to feel some improvement.

Keep posting & let us know how it's going!

Well, I guess I'm about 1 1/2 weeks into the increase to 120mg. While it is very difficult right now to "objectively" evaluate how I am responding(or not), based on a combination of some major stresses taking place in my life that are really messing with me. I suppose with all of that being said, I certainly could be worse and HAVE felt worse than I do right now. I guess that's encouraging....:-)

I must say however, that I still have that nagging feeling of just living from one day to the next without any motivation, enthusiasm, ambition, etc.

One thing for sure, MidAge, you've given Cymbalta a full scale try. I'm sorry about the additional stressors in your life. That only makes it more difficult. I had a bad day today. Just tired of feeling cruddy.

I hope you have a decent day tomorrow.

tim

Thanks Tim.

Ditto on being tired of feeling this way. I see my PDoc next week. I'm so confused at this point. For just a bit, I thought that I WAS starting to respond to the Cymbalta. But now it seems like I've taken a step back. I feel so lethargic, uninterested, unmotivated, can't focus on my work, etc. Could it "just" be the added stress in my life that sometimes consumes my thoughts???....Can it be a slight SE of going up to 120mg(now approaching 2 weeks)????.....or can it just be that I'm flat out not responding as well as I should? My objectivity on it all feels completely skewed right now. That being said, I do have to say that I'm feeling "better" than I did during the 2 major dips I recently experienced during my initial transition from Effexor to Lexapro back in April and then the transition from Lexapro to Cymbalta in August. It's because of this that I might just "insist" that my PDoc finally add Wellbutrin to the mix before giving up on this current experiment altogether.

Well, I guess I'm about 1 1/2 weeks into the increase to 120mg. While it is very difficult right now to "objectively" evaluate how I am responding(or not), based on a combination of some major stresses taking place in my life that are really messing with me. I suppose with all of that being said, I certainly could be worse and HAVE felt worse than I do right now. I guess that's encouraging....:-)

I must say however, that I still have that nagging feeling of just living from one day to the next without any motivation, enthusiasm, ambition, etc.

MidAgeDad: Just to let you know my Cymbalta was just upped yesterday to 120mg. I've experienced a little nausea, but not too bad. I hope this helps me as well. I started to just go to 9mg, but decided to give the 120 a try, as my PDoc said that dosage seems to be better for dealing with OCD as well. Hope this works for you, good luck to us both! keep posting!

I had been on Serzone for a long time. It made me sleep so much mt doctor switched me to Cymbalta. She had me take it as I slowly stopped the Serzone. I Have not felt better in a long time. I have tolerated it very well. I still have a problem with anxiety from time to time but Xanax seems to help with that. This will be the first winter I will go through with Cymbalta. The short winter days cause SAD in me. I need a lot of light. So far I am so thankful for Cymbalta. I have more energy and don't sleep nearly as much. I also have just ordered a treadmill hoping that daily exercise will help me get through the winter. I was 75 yesterday and do have excellent health. My doctor has said I get younger all the time. I have recognized that I have a problem and have learned to live with it. I know pretty much what is happening and what to do. I have had serious problems with another medication. I took 2 Singular and became suicidal almost immediately. They do now admit this medication is dangerous for some people. All medications can have an adverse effect on you. You just have to be careful and be sure to report any ill effects to your doctor. I wish people would understand about depression. If more people knew what was happening to themselves or those around them we wouldn't lose so many. God bless all of you who are, like me, struggling with this disease.

Hi Purz,

My apologies.....been offline for most of the last few days.

How is the 120mg doing for you?

Geez, this stuff is so hard to figure out. I guess it all goes back to something I think I originally read here on DFF months ago. What's good for one person can be completely different for another....and that one specific AD is not necessarily "better" than another. Otherwise we would ALL be taking the exact same meds and there would be ALOT less of them out there!

I see my PDoc this Wednesday. I really don't know what direction we will turn and what direction "I" want to turn. I know you can't "turn back the clock", but I wish I could just get "back" to where I was at while still taking Effexor...as late as March of this year. Maybe it's as "easy" as transitioning from the Cymbalta to Effexor/Pristiq ASAP.....I just don't know at this point. These last 6 months have really taken their toll on me both in my personal and work life. I don't know how much energy I have left for another "transition". Sorry to sound so glum. Maybe it's just the chronic intermittent insomnia I've been experiencing with the Cymbalta for weeks has worn me down.

I'm starting 30 mg of Cymbalta tomorrow. I've been taking Prozac for years, and it just doesn't do the trick anymore. So I had one last Prozac today (30 mg) and start the Cymbalta. What I've read here in general gives me a lot of hope. Thanks to all of you for sharing. And wish me luck!

been on 90 for about 6 years and had Propranolol 80 added about 2 years ago just hit a spell of constent sadness all the time but never had a good week yet or is that day

It is now 2014 and all of the posts above stop at 2012 - I am so interested in knowing how you are all doing. I am on Cymbalta for five weeks with very little improvement. I wish there was someway I could get in contact with some of you to find out how you made out in the last couple of years.

I'm in the same boat as KateBookRockz ----- I've been on Cymbalta for 3-months plus, and just recently went from 20mg to 30mg. I can't honestly say I feel any better, and my pdoc refuses to change my medications - he states I'm doing fine on what I'm on. Oh really ???? Who told him that ? So it looks like I'm stuck for the time being on Cymbalta with no effect whatsoever.

Thanks for your responses and let's try and stay connected until we know whether this drug is going to work or not. I am now just starting my seventh week. I have always been told that six to eight weeks is the magic number. God I hope they are right. How is everybody else doing?

I'm at the end of my 3rd week on Cymbalta for anxiety and depression. my GP (pdoc?) switched me from 10mg lexapro as I was still having a fair bit of anxiety on that, which i'd taken for 5 years on and off.

Anyway, i'm currently on 60mg having started on 30mg and upped after 9 days. It's been really up and down as you would expect, with the second week being utterly horrible (tiredness, confusion, lots of anxiety, insomnia). Actually for the insomnia he prescribed a tiny dose of remeron at night which has helped. in the last week i've had a couple of really good days in amongst the bad. i'm hopeful as is my doc.

My dosage was just increased this week to 60mg. I don't know how long it will take for me to feel a little better. Perhaps I need to give it a few weeks

but I would like to keep in touch with everyone regarding how they are doing on Cymbalta -----