1. 1. How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • 5 weeks
    • 6+ weeks
    • Never

Day 7 on Cymbalta. Fatigue is still a problem, but "mental weirdness" is not anymore. It seems to be helping. I'm having fitful periods of "oh yeah, *this* is what happiness is" which is really cool. (I don't think I'd realized how gray and unhappy I'd become.) I wouldn't say I'm consistently better yet, but it has only been eight days. I'm really hopeful.

Sounds like you're making progress! That's terrific. Hope it keeps up. Let us know!

Day 10. Wow! I think Cymbalta is really going to help me. The fatigue is becoming manageable (I've gone back to taking it in the day because it started to interfere with my sleep) and the periods of happiness are becoming more frequent, more stable. For the first time in my life I feel focussed and energetic, without being stressed and anxious (for me, those two things always walked hand in hand). It's still early, but I'm becoming ever more hopeful. I hope the SE don't mount or it poops out or something.

Weird med though. I sometimes sedates me, sometimes stimulates me. Makes me calmer, less anxious, but more energetic. Sometimes hot flashes, sometimes chills.

Weird med though. I sometimes sedates me, sometimes stimulates me. Makes me calmer, less anxious, but more energetic. Sometimes hot flashes, sometimes chills.

Yes me too, I was in the car with a friend and she really made me late for a very important occasion, and usualy I would let her know i was not happy, but this time i was like"well, never mind at least we'll get there eventually" I was so laid back And she was shocked.Ha! the chills are a bit irritating though. When I started i would take my tablet at night but since i swapped it around and take it in the morning it seems to suit me better.

Yes me too, I was in the car with a friend and she really made me late for a very important occasion, and usualy I would let her know i was not happy, but this time i was like"well, never mind at least we'll get there eventually" I was so laid back And she was shocked.Ha! the chills are a bit irritating though. When I started i would take my tablet at night but since i swapped it around and take it in the morning it seems to suit me better.

What about appetite, LC? I can't seem to decide whether it's simulating/suppressing/or no effect/or varies. At first it seemed to stimulate it, now it seems to suppress it somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's just over three weeks for me: 23 days, give or take one, to be exact. About 3 days ago I noticed the meds seemed to really hit their stride. The side-effects -- drowsiness and forgetfulness lessened -- and my depression/anhedonia lifted. :hearts:

For me it seemed that the anti-depressant effect of Cymbalta, as opposed to the anti-anxiety, anti-irritability effects, has been the last thing to kick in. I'm cautiously optimistic.

• 4 months later...

First few months on 30mg of cymbalta was great. I felt like all my problems were over. alas, it was not to be. I eventually went back to my old ways of deep depression periods and social isolation. Same thing happened when I upped the dosage to 60 mg, except it was only better for a month or so. Plus then some wierd side effects started kicking in.

Cymbalta worked brilliantly for me for the first week, then did exactly the opposite of what it was designed to do. It made my depression much worse and I had increased thoughts of suicide. It was definitely not the right med for me.

I am really struggling to find something that works and something that does not tip the balance the "other" way.

• 7 months later...

I've only been on Cymbalta for 3 weeks. Another med, Abilify, was added at the same time, although I asked my pdoc not to try two at once. So it's hard to tell. I feel sleepy all the time yet jittery at the same time. No nausea, but I do have constipation. Not sure if this is the Abilofy though.

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

Brian: I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg, for about 2 1/2 months. For me at least, it usually takes me the full 8 weeks for ANY AD to kick in. I have been taken most of the other AD, & Cymbalta has been shown to work the best. I take 60mg total in the am, & seem to have no problems with any "early morning ick", or insomnia. My psych MD actually thought I should be taking up to 120mg, but the 60mg seems to work for me. I never have gotten more energy from any AD, but at least with Cymbalta, it doesn't take away energy, my energy stays the same. I am also on Ritalin: My psych MD has perscribed it for "treatment resistant depression". I get the mental benefits with all AD, but I have never gotten more energy from any AD. So, I take anywhere from 20mg to 30mg/day of Ritalin to give me some energy, as well as help the Cymbalta with my depression. I started with 30mg Cymbalta & gradually worked up to 60mg. If I ever stop the Cymbalta, I will slowly decrease the dose as well, as I believe there are side effects with ANY AD if you just stop taking it.

As far as side effects, I break out in a sweat sometimes, & have a dry mouth sometimes. I take prilosec every day for acid reflux, so don't notice any stomach problems. I lost like 10 pounds when I first started Cymbalta, but have gained back a few pounds. Cymbalta is one of the few AD where I don't gain a ton of weight & actually might from time to time, lose weight.

I think anyone would need to try an AD for at least 8 weeks, before deciding if it will work. That is, if you can stand the side effects. Side effects do tend to go away in time; its just a matter of putting up with them. If you stop too soon with a new AD, feeling its not working for you, then you really don't know if it might be perfect for you; especially if you are prone to clinical depression & have been on several different AD. Believe me, I know about everything there is to know about AD. I'v drank alcohol when taking AD, & its just plain stupid to do that. You are taking in a depressant(alcohol) & your AD probably won't work as well, plus, there are risks in drinking alcohol/taking other mind altering drugs, when taking an AD.

Hope this helps anyone out there. zoa9

Edited by iowa

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

Brian: I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg, for about 2 1/2 months. For me at least, it usually takes me the full 8 weeks for ANY AD to kick in. I have been taken most of the other AD, & Cymbalta has been shown to work the best. I take 60mg total in the am, & seem to have no problems with any "early morning ick", or insomnia. My psych MD actually thought I should be taking up to 120mg, but the 60mg seems to work for me. I never have gotten more energy from any AD, but at least with Cymbalta, it doesn't take away energy, my energy stays the same. I am also on Ritalin: My psych MD has perscribed it for "treatment resistant depression". I get the mental benefits with all AD, but I have never gotten more energy from any AD. So, I take anywhere from 20mg to 30mg/day of Ritalin to give me some energy, as well as help the Cymbalta with my depression.

I showed my pdoc what I learned about what's in the labs and on the way. The triple reuptake inhibitors (DOV 216,303) should arrive in 2011, they add dopamine to the list. She told me we could do that today by adding generic adderall, which is inexpensive.

So I'm a couple weeks into this, it solved my multiple sleep cycle problem as you sleep when the adderall is not in effect. I can more easily tell what day it is. Overall, it seems worthwhile. I need to remember to take the second dose of adderall on time or get into a rollercoaster situation.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Day 6 of Cymbalta and feeling less stressed and less down that usual. Still have my moments, but am hopeful that this might actually do the trick. My P-doc has me reducing the amount of Lovan (prozac) that I was on (80mg and did nothing for me) so down to 30mg of that daily as well as 30mg Cymbalta. Tomorrow I go up to 60mg Cymbalta so will reduce the lovan to 20mg. Am on Zyprexa and Ativan too, my bedside drawer is starting to look like a pharmacy!

But I am determined to do whatever it takes to beat the depression. Taking one day at a time.

• 6 months later...

I started feeling the effects within one week, but I didn't start feeling good every day until about week 4 or 5.

However, I started at 30mg, and stayed at that level until week 10 when that very low initial starting dose wasn't strong enough of a maintenance dose. This turn of events did NOT surprise my pdoc at all, so he increased my dosage to 60mg (this happened around week 11).

By week 13 or 14 I was feeling consistently good every day.

I started feeling the effects within one week, but I didn't start feeling good every day until about week 4 or 5.

However, I started at 30mg, and stayed at that level until week 10 when that very low initial starting dose wasn't strong enough of a maintenance dose. This turn of events did NOT surprise my pdoc at all, so he increased my dosage to 60mg (this happened around week 11).

By week 13 or 14 I was feeling consistently good every day.

Today is precisely week 6(Week 1 started at 30mg;Weeks 2-3-4 at 60mg; the last 5 days or so at 90mg) The reason I got bumped up to 90 mg last week was because I over a week ago I suddenly began getting bad mental SE(high levels of anxiety, deepening depression, etc.). NOTHING has changed. In fact, I feel WORSE at this point. That being said, the first few weeks, I didn't feel ANY SE whatsoever. I'm HOPING that besides the fact that I am notoriously a slow responder(6 - 8 weeks before anxiety/depression slowly lifts), the fact that I moved off of Effexor back in March after TEN years....spent a couple of months with Lexapro...and now Cymbalta.....my brain chemistry might be all out of whack! I'm hoping to just hold on for another couple of weeks. I am REALLY hoping! I haven't gone through this much torture since 1997-98! My hope of feeling "myself" again is beginning to fade.....but I MUST hold out for at least another couple of weeks to see what happens!

• 2 weeks later...

mid age dad

It will get better. Until the doc says otherwise, the full trial still makes sense, don't you think? At least as of today.

Can you get any temporary relief from a benzo?

I forget if you take one.

It will get better.

Thanks Tim. Yes I do take varying dosages of Xanax daily and have been for the most part of this past year in fact. And as I've been finding myself doing more often than not these past few months, I've been sometimes "blaming" some of the ups and downs on the Xanax. I think at this point, I'm merely grasping at straws...blaming ANYTHING that might be off kilter and is causing all of these issues with me.....now getting closer to 7 weeks on Cymbalta. I still have hope that the Cymbalta will FINALLY kick in for good....and in the process many of the terrible SE will begin to decrease. I'm just not there yet. And to be honest, the more time that passes without any consistent improvemet, the less hope I have that this experiment is ultimately going to work. Then what? I start this entire process all over again with yet ANOTHER AD? I cannot bear the thought of it. Too much time has gone by since March for this issue with my mental health to have not started to begin surfacing in my private/working life. And as I've mentioned in the past, I am VERY SECRETIVE about this. However, my overall strength to "act normal" is seriously depleted at this point. My focus, concentration, even "competency" has taken a serious blow these last few months in the workplace. I could be in big trouble if this continues for another few months. In my personal life, while my wife is aware of my struggles from a distance(my choice), my general "aloofness" to her and even more surpirsingly this time around, my KIDS(probably because when I felt this bad the last time, both of my kids were either not born yet or were infants...much different now at 12y/o and 9y/o)...it's beginning to take its toll at home. I have no "relief" wherever I turn. I'm sorry for such a glim post today, but my hope is beginning to seriously diminish with each passing day.

Is there anyplace on the DF where they list recommended PDocs in each state? I highly doubt it, but I felt I would ask anyway. The reason why I ask is that while my PDoc is very reputable, he just doesn't seem to match the "patience" with response to AD's...or just the general expertise of psycho-pharmacology as my original PDoc(who died suddenly 3 years ago) did. Maybe it's just my imagination. I don't know. My guess is that once he gets back from vacation early next week and if I call him to let him know that after 7 weeks I'm feeling no better, he will want to pull the plug. And then what happens? In hindsight, while the Effexor I was on for many years was "pooping out" for a while, it was NOTHING compared to the HELL I've been through since weaning off of it back in March.

Again, my apologies to you Tim, Casatronic and anyone else who is maybe currently in a similar "wait and see HELL" mode, but unlike my brief experiment with Lexapro in the Spring after transitioning off of the Effexor, which still wasn't considered optimal, THIS experiment with Cymbalta so far is much worse with MANY more intense SE associated with it. The "hope" was at least...that since Cymbalta was "similar" in its "dual-action" as is Effexor...that it might be the "right fit"....who knows at this point.

Sorry....I'll stop rambling.

I am on day 15 of Cymbalta 60mg. I am pleased to say that yesterday, I finally began to see some improvement in my depressive mood. I'm not all there, but wanted to give some others hope. I did not have any startup side effects like some of the other members have spoken of, so was afraid the med was not working at all. (Maybe the reason was I had previously been on Effexor XR, which was in the same drug class). I can tell the drug is in my system now and doing something because I am really starting to feel the heat from the hot flashes. I am menopausal, so didn't need any additional "heat", but if the Cymbalta will help this treatment-resistant depression I've experienced for the last year, I will tolerate the heat. I just have to keep a fan handy on my desk.

I am hoping that I will continue to see improvement from this med, and hoping for another decent day tomorrow that I can also be very thankful for. When you are in the midst of a deep dark depression, any improvement feels significant!

Tomorrow will be three wks on Cymbalta 60 mg, and I'm scheduled to see my PDoc again on Tuesday. She's had me coming in on three week intervals until we can again get this depression stable with meds.

My question for the members' opinions:

If I've been on the med for 3 wks and have seen some improvement, but still am feeling some depression, should I be ready to go to 120mg of the Cymbalta, or is it too premature to increase? She mentioned at last visit after three weeks if I had not seen improvement that the next step would be to increase it to 120mg. She already had several plans of action in place as backup for me. I'm not sure how much improvement I should have already seen at three weeks...

Hi Purz:

My pdoc talked about a 30% improvement rule (don't know if it is his rule or a clinically estabilshed rule). That if a patient has seen 30% improvement at a low dose, to up the dose. My doc raised my Cymbalta to 90, not 120.

Good luck with the appt.

Purz,

By phone last week, my PDoc also mentioned about potentially upping my dosage from 90mg to 120mg as well. He raised me from 60mg to 90mg a little over 3 weeks ago. My "opinion" of jumping from 60mg to 120mg in one shot is that it sounds a bit much, unless she has a plan of doing it in steps that would include 90mg for part of it. Then again, I am totally confused about my experience so far on Cymbalta...now 8 weeks into it. Initially...like the first 3 - 4 weeks, I felt exactly the same. No SE from the Cymbalta and no withrawal from the Lexapro. Then all of sudden everything seem to hit me like a ton of bricks. And to this day I don't know if it was my depression coming back in full swing, withdrawal from the Lexapro now finally out of my system or SE suddenly from the Cymbalta almost a month into it. In fact, I'm still not sure. It was at that point(about 4 weeks) that my PDoc raised me to 90mg. And if anything, it got worse the next few weeks. However, to be honest, I'd have to say that the degree of magnitude isn't as great as it was a couple of weeks ago. The agitation/high anxiety seems to have subsided a bit, but the depression is still lurking. I suppose I still need to give it some more time. I'm not sure if any of this helps you in any way, since I am still thick in the weeds of this myself. However, I would caution about doubling your dose all at once...if that is what your PDoc is proposing. Again, just my opinion.

Purz,

By phone last week, my PDoc also mentioned about potentially upping my dosage from 90mg to 120mg as well. He raised me from 60mg to 90mg a little over 3 weeks ago. My "opinion" of jumping from 60mg to 120mg in one shot is that it sounds a bit much, unless she has a plan of doing it in steps that would include 90mg for part of it. Then again, I am totally confused about my experience so far on Cymbalta...now 8 weeks into it. Initially...like the first 3 - 4 weeks, I felt exactly the same. No SE from the Cymbalta and no withrawal from the Lexapro. Then all of sudden everything seem to hit me like a ton of bricks. And to this day I don't know if it was my depression coming back in full swing, withdrawal from the Lexapro now finally out of my system or SE suddenly from the Cymbalta almost a month into it. In fact, I'm still not sure. It was at that point(about 4 weeks) that my PDoc raised me to 90mg. And if anything, it got worse the next few weeks. However, to be honest, I'd have to say that the degree of magnitude isn't as great as it was a couple of weeks ago. The agitation/high anxiety seems to have subsided a bit, but the depression is still lurking. I suppose I still need to give it some more time. I'm not sure if any of this helps you in any way, since I am still thick in the weeds of this myself. However, I would caution about doubling your dose all at once...if that is what your PDoc is proposing. Again, just my opinion.

I know you must be very discouraged that you've been on the Cymbalta for that period of time without better results. I would be wondering after eight weeks without more improvement if it was time to add an augmentation med or to change completely. I have to ask... Have you tried Abilify as an augment? It did wonders for me, just couldn't continue it due to my being pre-diabetic prior to beginning it, so it pushed the limit and my fasting blood sugar was running around 170... Not good, so had to d/c the Abilify. It was used in conjunction with Effexor. Just a thought for you.

Thanks for your opinion regarding raising my Cymbalta to 120mg from a current 60mg. I may inquire about upping it to 90mg to see if that makes any difference. Maybe her previous experience is that just an increase to 90mg wasn't sufficient with her patients, who knows? I'm sure she will explain to me tomorrow though. Will just have to see what happens tomorrow. Will post and let you know.

Hi Purz:

My pdoc talked about a 30% improvement rule (don't know if it is his rule or a clinically estabilshed rule). That if a patient has seen 30% improvement at a low dose, to up the dose. My doc raised my Cymbalta to 90, not 120.

Good luck with the appt.

Thanks Tim, going to ask my PDoc about a possible increase maybe to just 90mg. I'm sure even if she were to up to 120mg, she would do it over the course of several days like she has in the past to give my body time to adjust to it. I'm having good and bad days. For some reason, Saturday I was just a little down, I blamed it on the dreary, cloudy weather here. On Sunday, I was a bit more depressed. I basically did absolutely nothing. I had no motivation whatsoever to do anything that needed to be done around the house. My procrastination has really become worse than ever. It really takes alot to motivate me these days. I'm finding the SE's for me from the Cymbalta have actually increased over time. The sweating SE has really taken it's toll over the weekend and today. I am drenched half the night, and today at work broke out in sweat several times, followed by having chills from being soaked in sweat afterwards. It's very uncomfortable, but at this point, I'm willing to put up with almost anything just to rid myself of the depression.

Will let you know what happens at the doc tomorrow. Today has been a little better as far as the depression is concerned. I hope the good days continue and become more consistent.