Drinking followed by severe depression

Steak47

I went out last weekend and got the drunkest I've been in a while. I had been doing really well on 50mg sertraline. Since that night I've been anxious and low. Not even upset, just getting out of bed is too much effort. I haven't showered in 4 days, I've stopped going to the gym and my once healthy eating is now binge eating. I've cancelled plans with friends this weekend which has made me feel worse. It's been a whole week since I drank now and it's showing no signs of changing. Should I speak to the docs about upping my dose? Has this happened to anyone?

Yeah this has happened to me when binge drinking on a variety of SSRis, including sertaline. It would take up to two weeks to feel normal again. A couple times it took like 3-4 weeks. It will go away, but because of this I am afraid to get wasted now and I haven't been drunk in over two years. 

I'd give it some more time before changing your dose. Alcohol affects your serotonin levels which is what you're trying to control with Setraline, by drinking you negate the positive effects you were getting from your AD and it'll take a while for things to readjust. This is why doctors will tell you not to drink (though many don't explain this). Alcohol should generally be avoided and if you're going drink then it's best to only have 1 drink. Binges and depression just don't mix... 

Yup, another affirmative. If you drink, which is a depressant, it will counteract your meds for a while. I usually dont drink having learned that, but occasionally i do at a special party or something. But its rare, because i know im going to feel like crap for a week+ afterward.

Plus your doc will scold you as well.

Steve

Every time I drink your story is my story.  That's why I don't drink anymore.  You don't even have to be taking meds for this to happen. After going on a huge binge it can take a week or more to get back to where you were before you drank.  The older you get the longer it takes to recover.

Add me to the list of people who completely understand this. I've been through it far too many times. Like @sober4life, I no longer drink because it was messing me up so badly. Well that, and I couldn't stop. Four months out and I feel pretty good again, at least some of the time.

I feel a lot better now after being sober for so long.  I have bad days sometimes but when I was drinking every day was bad.  If I didn't quit I would be dead right now.  My friends here convinced me that I am worth fighting for.  If I never found this place I would be in the ground right now.  My friends here saved my life and I love them all!❤️