Sign in to follow this  
snoof

Anyone tried EMDR for Anxiety & Depression?

Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing is a kind of one on one treatment with a professional.  The vast amount of literature mentions PTSD or some kind of traumatic incident in a patient's past as being the focus of this treatment.  I fear I don't have a specific traumatic event... I'm just a natural born worrier whose brain just finally collapsed from all the adrenaline and cortisol.  I need SOMETHING badly.  Drugs don't seem to be doing much...at least yet.

Hi snoof,

There is some evidence suggesting that EMDR can be effective for certain types of worrying and anxiety (Generalized Anxiety Disorder, as one example).  You are correct that the substantial heap of literature is geared toward PTSD and other trauma- or stressor-related events (including seizure-related trauma) but that does not necessarily imply that it couldn't work.  Your best bet would be to speak to a therapist specifically trained in EMDR, rather than one who just follows the procedures, and make this inquiry.  Are there reasons that you are focused specifically on EMDR rather than CBT or other treatment modalities?

I hope this is somewhat helpful and that you are able to start feeling better soon.  Please keep us updated!