Sign in to follow this  
sleepy82

Have any of you received ECT?

I just started bilateral ect treatments and I had my 4th one today. I've heard all kinds of stories about memory loss and I'm just curious how many treatments in does it usually start to show up? So far I have experienced 0 side effects of any kind, or any benefits either. I'm wondering when I'm going to notice anything at all whether positive or negative lol. Anyone have any experiences to share?

Hi sleepy82,

Thank you for sharing and welcome to DF!  While I have not undergone ECT, the beliefs surrounding memory loss are generally over-inflated.  If one does experience this, it is generally short-lived and relates to the moments during and immediately following an ECT session rather than an ongoing deficit in memory - there's certainly marginal evidence that it impacts past memories.  Regarding when you're going to notice positive effects, this can vary like many other treatments.  Eight sessions is not an unusual starting point - your prescriber has surely made a decision based on your specific history and has determined this to be a useful approach.  Following any positive effects, in certain cases there is need for buffer sessions if any symptoms return.

I would say that if you have undergone four sessions with no noted side effects, this is a great sign.  There are certainly countless horror stories that can be found online, but memory loss is not a thoroughly validated one - definitely not to an extent that would impact daily functioning on a regular basis.  Positive effects may take some more time, but be sure to maintain open lines of communication with your prescriber regarding all outcomes and concerns.  I wish you the very best of luck with your ongoing treatment and look forward to hearing more from you!

I've had probably 20 zaps of ECT combined by now.

For me the most noticeable thing was feeling a bit dazed for a few days. I'm not sure if I had memory problems, because... I don't remember what I can't remember. 😬

I did have a weird experience during treatment, though. But that may have been to do with the anaesthesia and me falling asleep for a minute or two just after the ECT was done and I was recovering.

As I am led to believe ECT starts to take effect after at least 4-6 sessions. I felt different after 2 sessions.

I've been in the same room as a patient who was pretty much mute and resisted movement. After his first ECT treatment he was able to eat without assistance. Whether that was an effect of ECT or just a random improvement... dunno, really. He talked later that day in the evening when we were in the common room watching TV. He noted that a certain car in that movie wouldn't have been around at that time in history. 🙂

Edited by APFSDS